Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I have, no issues. Minor version updates are usually a non issue, it's just the major versions that are sometimes a concern.

I did, from the Apple Store. I wasn't able to complete the installation process, until I added FakeSMC.kext. Then it was ok.

NUC5i3RYH

I did it!

thankyou very much! my nuc 5i3 now has a working installation with Sierra, now i'm just investigating on the last 2 things:

- WiFi doesn't working, but seems a simple patching with colver question (but I don't know how to patch yet);
- Audio doesn't work, and this also seem to be a simple multibeast operation (but again, don't work for me...);

however, now I have it!

Last edited:
I thought I wound contribute here a little bit and share my story with the upgrade to Sierra. Long story, short I was able to update my NUC from 10.11.6 to 10.12.1 but with some hicups. So far everything seems to be working fine.

SETUP:
-NUC5i5MYHE
- 2 drives with dual boot
- optional wifi card - BCM94352HMB AzureWave AW-CE123H

PREP:
Before I upgraded I made sure that I installed the latest KEXTs for my wifi card and network card, updated CLOVER to version 3882.

The most important thing is to have a full backup / clone of your drives. In my case I keep OS on one drive and data on
separate. Make sure that you have a clone of EFI partition as well. What I do is to use Ubuntu Live USB, boot into Ubuntu from USB, use Disks utility to create images of all the partitions on external USB drive. If something goes wrong you use the image to restore the drive to Day 0. Worked many times for me.

TRY #1: (FAILED)
Tried straight update from App Store ... After reboot, selected Boot Mac OS from install drive in clover and that didn't go to well.
Got stuck on the Apple screen with progress bar.

TRY #2: (FAILED)
Very similar to try #1 but this time I added 10.12 and Other folders in EFI partition in kexts subfolder and dropped FakeSMC kext in there.

Quite simple, there is a guide here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/direct-update-to-macos-sierra-using-clover.201465/page-4

Unfortunately, this time I was able to boot into installer but installer stopped right after it loaded with message in GUI with nice Sierra splash logo "Unable to unmount volume for repair". That might be related to my dual hdd / dual os situation. I tried repairing volume before lunching installer, etc. that didn't make any difference.

TRY #3 (SUCCESS)
Added 10.12 / Other folders to EFI (as in Try #2) and downloaded Sierra but instead of doing INSTALL option I quit and used Unibeast to build USB drive with the installer. I still booted from my HDD but in Clover I selected my USB drive to boot from. That lunched installed and 30 minutes later my Mac was updated to 10.12.1

POST INSTALL ISSUES:
- My WIFI stopped working but got it to work by following tips here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312759-fix-macos-sierra-dp1-bcm94532z-wifi/?p=2245765

- My Audio wasn't working as well but executed Multibeast for Sierra to reinstall AC283 driver. For some reason it would not allow me to install just the drivers, I had to install clover as well so make sure that you have a backup of your config.plist file as it will overwrite it. Since Multibeast downgraded my clover I had to reupgrade that back to 3882 version which I had to begin with.

All seems to be working now. Good luck if you are upgrading.It isn't to bad. Hopefully somebody will find this useful.

Hi, and thankyou for your post. Now I have a working sierra installation with my nuc 5i3...

Now, however, I don't know how to apply the patch with clover to make the wifi work again (as your post install says, following the link on insanelymac), and the audio even selecting ALC283 is not yet working (the backup of the config.plist I did, because of the downgrade of it by multibeast, is for the file found in the hidden EFI partition of the SSD so EFI/EFI/CLOVER config.plist, right?). do you have some advertising on how to make those mods? I really don't know how to follow the instructions at the link from insanelymac with clover...

thank you very much for any help you can give.

Peter

I've installed and reinstalled Sierra more times on my NUC than I want to count... I tried installing El Cap and then doing a simple upgrade, but that messed stuff up... I finally decided to just clean install and it's been good ever since. If you're having issues with audio I suggest using @toleda's HDMI Audio SSDT for your chipset. I just installed it and it seems 10000000000% more reliable than the kext. I had the kext installed but then for some reason my NUC restart or something and then it couldn't boot properly and it was stuck on the Ø during Clover boot. I rebooted again and it booted up, but I had no audio... soo yeah use the SSDT from here:

doesnt work on Sierra =(

(Intel NUC 5i7RYH)

Attachments

• ssdt_hdmi-hd6100.zip
    43.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Well done! ;) thankyou, now I have only a wifi trouble.

this really seems to be difficult to configure. I really don't know where can be found the patch... is there a link to buy a compatible wifi dongle?

many thanks, again...

Works like a charm!! Thank you! :D

Is anyone using a fusion drive in this build? I have a 2 TB Samsung hard drive I'd like to pair with my 250 gb SSD.

I want to buy intel NUC5i3RYH....is it compatible with sierra?
can I connect it to vga monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back