Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just updated from 10.12 to 10.12.1 via app store. nuc5i5ryh (bios 0359) clover 3859. Update went well!

Out of curiosity is the link at the top of the original post, shown below, supposed to come back to the start of this thread?

10.11.4 WARNING: make this change before upgrading to 10.11.4, or use the fix in that post if you've already updated to 10.11.4 and can't boot any more.

Just did clean install of Sierra on NUC5i7RYH using your guide and the updated multibeast. Was worried that BT wasn't working until I remembered that I'd turned it off in BIOS during install.

Big Thanks!

[Guide] 10.11 on Intel Broadwell NUC 2.0

Hi,

I just installed Mac OS X on my i3 NUC with your guide. Thanks a lot for that. It looks like all is working fine.
I use the NUC with a 4k Asus PB287Q monitor over DisplayPort and it looks like all resolution and scaling options are working.

Hi,
my nuc 5i3ryb seems to be allergic to OSX. I'm stuck on the first step, black screen, apple logo, loading bar at about 80%, nothing more...

I followed every single bit of istruction in this guide, beginning with the download of my original copy of El Capitan from my macbook, to the complete creation of the USB stick via UniBeast & Clover.

My NUC boot correctly via USB and OSX installation starts correctly too. But every test I did stops at about 80% of the loading bar. Starting installation with -v falg will end in a watning saying that a 'Service exited with abnormal code: 255' (it refer to the NTP i think) and some lines before i can see this:

Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line(s) 1601, 2275, 212, 3685, 1103

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

I thought I wound contribute here a little bit and share my story with the upgrade to Sierra. Long story, short I was able to update my NUC from 10.11.6 to 10.12.1 but with some hicups. So far everything seems to be working fine.

SETUP:
-NUC5i5MYHE
- 2 drives with dual boot
- optional wifi card - BCM94352HMB AzureWave AW-CE123H

PREP:
Before I upgraded I made sure that I installed the latest KEXTs for my wifi card and network card, updated CLOVER to version 3882.

The most important thing is to have a full backup / clone of your drives. In my case I keep OS on one drive and data on
separate. Make sure that you have a clone of EFI partition as well. What I do is to use Ubuntu Live USB, boot into Ubuntu from USB, use Disks utility to create images of all the partitions on external USB drive. If something goes wrong you use the image to restore the drive to Day 0. Worked many times for me.

TRY #1: (FAILED)
Tried straight update from App Store ... After reboot, selected Boot Mac OS from install drive in clover and that didn't go to well.
Got stuck on the Apple screen with progress bar.

TRY #2: (FAILED)
Very similar to try #1 but this time I added 10.12 and Other folders in EFI partition in kexts subfolder and dropped FakeSMC kext in there.

Quite simple, there is a guide here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/direct-update-to-macos-sierra-using-clover.201465/page-4

Unfortunately, this time I was able to boot into installer but installer stopped right after it loaded with message in GUI with nice Sierra splash logo "Unable to unmount volume for repair". That might be related to my dual hdd / dual os situation. I tried repairing volume before lunching installer, etc. that didn't make any difference.

TRY #3 (SUCCESS)
Added 10.12 / Other folders to EFI (as in Try #2) and downloaded Sierra but instead of doing INSTALL option I quit and used Unibeast to build USB drive with the installer. I still booted from my HDD but in Clover I selected my USB drive to boot from. That lunched installed and 30 minutes later my Mac was updated to 10.12.1

POST INSTALL ISSUES:
- My WIFI stopped working but got it to work by following tips here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312759-fix-macos-sierra-dp1-bcm94532z-wifi/?p=2245765

- My Audio wasn't working as well but executed Multibeast for Sierra to reinstall AC283 driver. For some reason it would not allow me to install just the drivers, I had to install clover as well so make sure that you have a backup of your config.plist file as it will overwrite it. Since Multibeast downgraded my clover I had to reupgrade that back to 3882 version which I had to begin with.

All seems to be working now. Good luck if you are upgrading.It isn't to bad. Hopefully somebody will find this useful.

Successfully installed Mac Os Sierra on my 5i5 nuc, I had to erase the whole boot drive, and followed the instructions at the first page of this thread, it works like a charm, i confirm bluetooth works out of the box, just make sure to enable bluetooth at the bios settings.

Thanks for the guide/files!

Up and running no problem on a RYH i7 (modified config.plist from a previously working haswell install, using macbook air 7-2, swapped the OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi for the one in the OP, added the RYH SSDTs in the OP, added integrated NIC kext, removed nVidia drivers, downgraded to 348 bios, generated new RT variables and SMBIOS for iMessage etc).

Viewsonic VX2475 4k monitor via mini displayport -> displayport works as the Dell P2715Q does (after a reboot, must power it off and back on again, but it works/sleeps fine).

Last edited:
Thanks for the guide/files!

Up and running no problem on a RYH i7 (modified config.plist from a previously working haswell install, using macbook air 7-2, swapped the OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi for the one in the OP, added the RYH SSDTs in the OP, added integrated NIC kext, removed nVidia drivers, downgraded to 348 bios, generated new RT variables and SMBIOS for iMessage etc).

Viewsonic VX2475 4k monitor via mini displayport -> displayport works as the Dell P2715Q does (after a reboot, must power it off and back on again, but it works/sleeps fine).

I have a NUC 517RYH and installed 10.11.6. Everything is working except bluetooth. I have it enabled in the bios. I also have an external bluetooth dongle that does not work either.

The only other issue is when I shutdown from the OS , it turns itself back on . I have to do a forced shutdown. That part is not a big deal to me; but wanted to know about the bluetooth.

My bios are 059 and I have the bios settings as suggested on page 1.

thanks for the post about updating to sierra. (not to do it via the app store)

Last edited:
I have a NUC 517RYH and installed 10.11.6. Everything is working except bluetooth. I have it enabled in the bios. I also have an external bluetooth dongle that does not work either.

The only other issue is when I shutdown from the OS , it turns itself back on . I have to do a forced shutdown. That part is not a big deal to me; but wanted to know about the bluetooth.

My bios are 059 and I have the bios settings as suggested on page 1.

thanks for the post about updating to sierra. (not to do it via the app store)

I was going to update to Sierra but haven't tried it, that post must have been someone else.

Does the app store update not work?

If you downgrade to the 348 bios the reboot on shutdown problem will be fixed, and the only thing you lose is that your bios screen scales poorly on a large monitor. It's still usable, just small, and who messes around in the bios every day anyway?

I have not tried bluetooth as other posts seem to suggest that a driver was never developed. The only way to use it, apparently, is to have another OS to register devices in, which will be retained in hardware when you boot OSX (it's described as an initial authentication problem).

I was going to update to Sierra but haven't tried it, that post must have been someone else.

Does the app store update not work?

If you downgrade to the 348 bios the reboot on shutdown problem will be fixed, and the only thing you lose is that your bios screen scales poorly on a large monitor. It's still usable, just small, and who messes around in the bios every day anyway?

I have not tried bluetooth as other posts seem to suggest that a driver was never developed. The only way to use it, apparently, is to have another OS to register devices in, which will be retained in hardware when you boot OSX (it's described as an initial authentication problem).

thanks for the reply. I have another drive I can add to boot via windows 10 and enable the bluetooth that way. I will try the downgrade to the other bios and check. On the sierra update i was referring to the others on this thread. It seems this tutorial works on sierra too; but not updating via the app store from what I read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back