Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] El Capitan on the GA-Z170X-UD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to hear @cnrd. Thanks again for all the work you've put into this guide!
Did you get the multiple boot entries fixed?

Also I just updated the post above yours with a short guide for anyone who want to try the update out (But as it says I probably won't be trying to work around too many problems ATM. as some drivers may still have problems and need updating for macOS 10.12).

Cnrd,

I've tried the CPU Power Management part (freqVectorsEdit.sh + ssdtPRGen.sh scripts) of your guide.

The good thing is that it seems to have solved a problem where my hack sometimes doesn't fully sleep: display does but power LED and fans stays on.

The problem is that now, when the computer goes to sleep, though Power Nap is disabled, some background activity seems to occur... So every hours during sleep, it's as if the system try to mount/unmount my Time Machine external USB hard drive, triggering multiple "Disk Not Ejected Properly" notifications at wake.

Unfortunately, SafeSleepUSB seems ineffective in that context...

Do you have experienced this problem too? Have you found a workaround?

And BTW, what exactly is the purpose of freqVectorsEdit.sh ?

Notification.jpg

Last edited:

freqVectorsEdit.sh "simply" copy the data of CPU PM from iMac 17,1 (i7 6700k) in the MacPro 6,1 definition, allowing a full and native CPU PM for our CPU with this model definition (which normally uses Xenon CPU)

credit for this script goes to Piker-Alpha (see https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/freqVectorsEdit.sh)

So i have built this system (different processor) and it has been running good. i have been using the onboard graphics for now. i just purchased a GeForce GT 740 so i can run dual monitors. i have been looking through threads and trying to find out how to install...

i put the card in and had a few problems... then i tried to boot with nv_disable=1 and got it to boot to the desktop, but it still seems the graphics card isnt working right as the graphics (moving graphics) are very choppy and not too responsive, also, the second monitor is not getting a signal.

is there anyone who knows how i would be able to add this card to my exisitng setup so it will function properly and support dual monitor?

any help is greatly appreciated!

So i have built this system (different processor) and it has been running good. i have been using the onboard graphics for now. i just purchased a GeForce GT 740 so i can run dual monitors
I have a GT 740 but I don't use dual monitors so I can't offer any help there.

i put the card in and had a few problems... then i tried to boot with nv_disable=1 and got it to boot to the desktop, but it still seems the graphics card isnt working right as the graphics (moving graphics) are very choppy and not too responsive
nv_disable=1 disables the Nvidia graphics drivers so poor performance is the expected behaviour.

You don't need to inject Nvidia or use the web drivers although it has been said that some versions do in fact require the web drivers to run El Capitan.

You should probably make sure that you are not injecting Intel if you have stopped using the integrated graphics.

The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you
Please edit your profile to reflect your actual hardware.

is there anyway to use the USB-SSDT.command on the Z170-UD5-TH? I'm having problems with USB 3 after installing Sierra GM with everything else working perfectly :/
Cheers

Cnrd,

I've tried the CPU Power Management part (freqVectorsEdit.sh + ssdtPRGen.sh scripts) of your guide.

The good thing is that it seems to have solved a problem where my hack sometimes doesn't fully sleep: display does but power LED and fans stays on.

The problem is that now, when the computer goes to sleep, though Power Nap is disabled, some background activity seems to occur... So every hours during sleep, it's as if the system try to mount/unmount my Time Machine external USB hard drive, triggering multiple "Disk Not Ejected Properly" notifications at wake.

Unfortunately, SafeSleepUSB seems ineffective in that context...

Do you have experienced this problem too? Have you found a workaround?

View attachment 210162
Yeah it is waking for Sleep Proxy (Some WOL stuff), you can disable it by installing clover with the disable sleep proxy flag.
Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 20.40.15.png
I ended up using that as my Bluetooth/WiFi combo was causing problems when "dark waking" but not for normal wake.

is there anyway to use the USB-SSDT.command on the Z170-UD5-TH? I'm having problems with USB 3 after installing Sierra GM with everything else working perfectly :/
Cheers
(I also saw your post on pike's blog): What you should probably do is map out the ports like the picture I posted over there, then you should modify the HUBC and UMAP values, also you can use the "ssdt-5.aml" (xh_rvp10.aml) generated by the script but you would have to manually modify the port type for all used ports.

Also the method only supports up to 15 ports.

Yeah it is waking for Sleep Proxy (Some WOL stuff), you can disable it by installing clover with the disable sleep proxy flag.
View attachment 210800
I ended up using that as my Bluetooth/WiFi combo was causing problems when "dark waking" but not for normal wake.

(I also saw your post on pike's blog): What you should probably do is map out the ports like the picture I posted over there, then you should modify the HUBC and UMAP values, also you can use the "ssdt-5.aml" (xh_rvp10.aml) generated by the script but you would have to manually modify the port type for all used ports.

Also the method only supports up to 15 ports.
Thanks for your reply, Im having trouble doing the modifications to the SSDT-5
I tried to modify the USB-SSDT.command with no luck :/ The ports I need on my board are HS01, HS02, HS03, HS04, HS7, HS8, HS10, SS01, SS02, SS03, SS04, SS07, SS08
Your command tool doesn't give me the option to use a few of those ports which is why I tried to edit it and failed
I just can't figure out the enable and disabling of ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back