Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] El Capitan on the GA-Z170X-UD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply!

My only option with the firewire seems to be another card that works with my system, as far as I know... I´m almost acostumed to the "two steps" shut down, powering off every time it reboots itself.

To your questions:

1. I applied the hibernate fix and still no difference.
2. I had darkwake=0. Tried darkwake=10 and the problem persist. Now i´m on darkwake=8, but need time to test it. Is it safe to play around with the numbers, to see wich is working better?

Thanks for your indications.
Hmm then I'm not really sure, as my system started doing something similar recently.

Yeah it should be "safe" to play around with darkwake. I found that with darkwake=10 audio stopped working after sleep. (Works with both darkwake=8 and darkwake=0, just setting it back fixed things).

My understanding is that darkwake=xx configures the power nap feature in OS X, but also somehow changes the way it wakes from sleep. (Mine needs 2 clicks on the mouse to wake from sleep, one to wake, one to turn on the screen, if I don't use any darkwake flags).

Hmm then I'm not really sure, as my system started doing something similar recently.

Yeah it should be "safe" to play around with darkwake. I found that with darkwake=10 audio stopped working after sleep. (Works with both darkwake=8 and darkwake=0, just setting it back fixed things).

My understanding is that darkwake=xx configures the power nap feature in OS X, but also somehow changes the way it wakes from sleep. (Mine needs 2 clicks on the mouse to wake from sleep, one to wake, one to turn on the screen, if I don't use any darkwake flags).

OK! I´ll try the other darkwave options to see if it helps. Just to be clear, i have no problem with the sleep/wake, it just freezes and reboots when I boot the system for the first time after it has been shut down over a period of time or if I unplug it.

Just another question: I´ve updated things as you changed the clover folder and different ways of patching Audio and the AGDPfix... Is there anything I should have erase, or that has to be done only on beginning a fresh install? Am I doing wrong by aplying the new method "over" the old one?

Thanks again!

OK! I´ll try the other darkwave options to see if it helps. Just to be clear, i have no problem with the sleep/wake, it just freezes and reboots when I boot the system for the first time after it has been shut down over a period of time or if I unplug it.

Just another question: I´ve updated things as you changed the clover folder and different ways of patching Audio and the AGDPfix... Is there anything I should have erase, or that has to be done only on beginning a fresh install? Am I doing wrong by aplying the new method "over" the old one?

Thanks again!
Ah sorry then I misread your post, I haven't seen anything where it will crash after being off for some time.

It shouldn't be a problem with applying "on top of". Just make sure to undo any steps not found in the guide (Like patching AppleHDA, which needs to be vanilla for the new audio way).

I have only reinstalled twice since the first version of the guide, so most of the stuff has been applied "on top of" something else, but sometimes you would need to roll a patched kext back to vanilla.

But it's pretty hard to know which steps you have already done, so just do one change at a time, and have a rescue Clover on a USB so that you can save an unbootable system :)

Ah sorry then I misread your post, I haven't seen anything where it will crash after being off for some time.

It shouldn't be a problem with applying "on top of". Just make sure to undo any steps not found in the guide (Like patching AppleHDA, which needs to be vanilla for the new audio way).

I have only reinstalled twice since the first version of the guide, so most of the stuff has been applied "on top of" something else, but sometimes you would need to roll a patched kext back to vanilla.

But it's pretty hard to know which steps you have already done, so just do one change at a time, and have a rescue Clover on a USB so that you can save an unbootable system :)

I understand you. I think I´ve always followed every step and changed what was needed. I installed again a clean AppleHDA with ikext when you changed the method, and audio has always been working fine. But just now I realized that audio after sleep isn´t working anymore, the audio card is shown but no audio after sleep no matter what option i choose in darkwake...

I´ll keep trying it with darkwake.

Thanks a lot! :D

I understand you. I think I´ve always followed every step and changed what was needed. I installed again a clean AppleHDA with ikext when you changed the method, and audio has always been working fine. But just now I realized that audio after sleep isn´t working anymore, the audio card is shown but no audio after sleep no matter what option i choose in darkwake...

I´ll keep trying it with darkwake.

Thanks a lot! :D

OK, I´ve tested every darkwake mode and still no changes, my computer freezes and restarts the first time after a long period being shut down or when disconnected the power cable. Maybe a motherboard issue?

But in the process I noticed I ALSO had the same problem described here:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/47cff3f572199aeed41e

"Every time a new boot (or reboot), the boot menu list changes, and extra 'UEFI: ' boot entry is added". My boot list in the bios was about 96 entries!!!... So after a reflash of motherboard bios f6, and no change at all (the list kept growing), I decided to take the risk and go with the beta bios f7c (the latest one I found). The reboot at first boot is still there, but it fixed the boot menu list problem completly.

Funny thing is that meanwhile I realized the audio after sleep was not warking at all, in any darkwake mode, as I said. It´s probably not working since I copied the new codeccommander.kext into efi\clover\kexts\other, but I didn´t check back then. So, just for trying, I deleted that file from the efi folder and audio after sleep is working again!!??

I´m glad to have solved that issue at least, but I don´t understand why it is working... Isn´t that file necessary for the audio to work?

Last edited:
"Every time a new boot (or reboot), the boot menu list changes, and extra 'UEFI: ' boot entry is added". My boot list in the bios was about 96 entries!!!... So after a reflash of motherboard bios f6, and no change at all (the list kept growing), I decided to take the risk and go with the beta bios f7c (the latest one I found). The reboot at first boot is still there, but it fixed the boot menu list problem completly.

I've got that problem as well, my bios boot menu gets an entry added on every reboot. I've gone in and cleaned it up a couple times, but it continues to multiply...

I decided to take the risk and go with the beta bios f7c (the latest one I found)
Studiocubico, where did you find this beta BIOS?
I can't find it on Gigabyte website...

Ah yes... That dreaded bug :-S

If you have Windows you can follow this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...-further-problems.175274/page-13#post-1307900

The beta BIOS is not available on gigabyte's website, but here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html. The newest being F7c.

There is also a way to do it directly from Clover, but I don't have the time to write it up right now. Below is a quote from myself where I talk about this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.175274/:
Before entering the EFI shell:
Go into Clover options and press the "Add all Clover entries to boot", this adds a bunch of extra boot entries (One for each item you can choose in Clover) (All of which points to /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI instead of /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI, which we will be exploiting later).

Then enter the EFI shell, and instead of following the guide precisely do the following:

Remove every entry EXCEPT: Windows Boot Manager and Boot Clover from EFI (Both are HD entries)

Now boot into OS X, whitout any rebooting:

Mount your EFI partition and rename /EFI/BOOT to /EFI/BOOT.BAK. (Which we can do as one of our entries points to /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI)

This will stop the extra entries from showing up.

The only caveat is that the UEFI is unable to automatically detect Clover and may break if you change your drive configuration. This can be fixed by renaming BOOT.BAK to BOOT either in Windows or by booting OS X from a recovery USB.

vhyfxm.jpg

I just updated to the macOS 10.12 Gold Master, everything is working, with only an updated AppleALC.kext (Which I compiled myself as it is not yet released). I installed this on top of my working El Capitan installation.

I will be testing it for a few days before I start updating the guide (And will also wait until we are closer to the public release).

I WILL NOT be providing any support for macOS 10.12, but for the adventures people see the short guide below.

EDIT: DO NOT DO THIS! It is VERY unstable, same problem as earlier: Beta Nvidia drivers suck and AppleALC still causes KP/hang on boot.
These are the steps I took:
  1. Replaced AppleALC.kext in the Clover folder with the one attached to this post.
  2. Created a USB Installer of macOS 10.12 and inserted into the BLACK back port.
  3. Disconnected ALL monitors except my main monitor IMPORTANT!
  4. Booted from the USB using CsrActiveConfig: 0x67, nv_disable=1, -v
  5. Installed on top of current install.
  6. Same flags, choose Install macOS [HDD Name] (Mine had two entries for the same drive).
  7. Same flags, choose [HDD NAME]
  8. On Desktop
  9. Installed this nvidia driver
  10. Run AGDPFix.app at this step IF you use iMac17,1 (Not needed for MacPro6,1).
  11. On reboot use these flags: CsrActiveConfig: 0x67, nvda_drv=1, -v, -alcoff
  12. On Desktop
  13. Ran frequencyVectorsEdit.sh, chose iMac17,1 (CPU PM on MacPro6,1).
  14. Rebuild kext cache
  15. On reboot use these flags: nvda_drv=1, -v
  16. Add flag: nvda_drv=1 to config.plist boot flags (This is currently needed even with working NVRAM).
  17. Shut down and plug in other monitors.

Done :)

Attachments

• AppleALC.kext.zip
    516.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back