Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] El Capitan on the GA-Z170X-UD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone using this motherboard with one (or two) M.2 Samsung 950 Pro boot drives?

Sorry for posting a question that could be answered by a thorough search, but unfortunately "search inside this thread" throws up lots of false positives for "m.2" or "950 pro".​

Hi,

I've updated to 10.11.5 (and also updated my Nvidia (for my GTX950) driver to the last one 'WebDriver-346.03.10f01.pkg') but at the end of the process I got a blank screen.
The only way to end on the Finder is to boot in Safe Mode on Clover.

When I updated OSX, at the last reboot, the Nvidia pref panel told me that I was on the OSX native Nvidia driver (not web one as previous).
So I updated to the last web driver (the one for 10.11.5) and then blank screen.

I'm kind of screw : I can't install the previous driver, and when I'm in safe mode, I can't chose OSX Vs Web driver because the pref panel can't load.

I've made a CCC clone before OSX update, but I'like to avoid restoring this backup.

Any idea ?

Edit : backup restored until futher notice. First Murphy's law : "Don't try to fix something that's worgking" ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

I've updated to 10.11.5 (and also updated my Nvidia (for my GTX950) driver to the last one 'WebDriver-346.03.10f01.pkg') but at the end of the process I got a blank screen.
The only way to end on the Finder is to boot in Safe Mode on Clover.

When I updated OSX, at the last reboot, the Nvidia pref panel told me that I was on the OSX native Nvidia driver (not web one as previous).
So I updated to the last web driver (the one for 10.11.5) and then blank screen.

I'm kind of screw : I can't install the previous driver, and when I'm in safe mode, I can't chose OSX Vs Web driver because the pref panel can't load.

I've made a CCC clone before OSX update, but I'like to avoid restoring this backup.

Any idea ?

Edit : backup restored until futher notice. First Murphy's law : "Don't try to fix something that's worgking" ;)

You have to do step 2 of Setup Nvidia Grapichs after each upgrade (OS X replace the modified file when upgrading)

You mean the "2. Do the fix for Problem 4" ??
If so I choose method 1 (modification of the Config.plist in EFI partition) and it's still there.
My last modification of the file is May 9th.
Should I better use the EGDPfix.app from Shilohh (method 2, and delete the modification in the config.plist I supose)

And if you mean replace the update driver by the Web one, it's after that that my screen went blank (right at the step 1 of Setup Nvidia GFX card) ^^

I think, when I try again, I'll first fix problem 4 (with method 2) and then install web drivers...

You mean the "2. Do the fix for Problem 4" ??
If so I choose method 1 (modification of the Config.plist in EFI partition) and it's still there.
My last modification of the file is May 9th.
Should I better use the EGDPfix.app from Shilohh (method 2, and delete the modification in the config.plist I supose)

And if you mean replace the update driver by the Web one, it's after that that my screen went blank (right at the step 1 of Setup Nvidia GFX card) ^^

I think, when I try again, I'll first fix problem 4 (with method 2) and then install web drivers...

Yeah delete the Clover plist fix and use method 2, the Clover fix never worked correctly for me and always caused crashes at some point. Especially when combined with multiple screens.

Remember that you can always "back out" of the Nvidia driver by booting with "nv_disable=1" this have saved me a couple of times when messing with the graphics configuration.

EDIT: I'm going to test out an idea tomorrow, but I should probably get some sleep now as it is 3:30 AM. So if you can wait until then I'll report back if it actually worked. If it works it should fix the problem for all future OS X releases (unless Apple changes something).

EDIT2: Still working on it, for now just use EGDPfix.app

Last edited:
There is no emergency ;)
As said, I'm back in working 10.11.4 :)

Edit : Yesterday I updated to 10.11.5. I used AGDPfix before and disable the nvidia fix in the config.plist.
At reboot, Nvidia prefs asked me if Iwanted to update my driver. "Yes", and afterward even AGDPfix asked me if I wanted to fix the Kext again I said yes and rebooted.
At the white apple screen I got some verbose. I was scared a bit of failure but there was a last reboot ^^'
At last, I was on the Finder, Nvidia driver up to date (364.03.10f02), with nothing more to do :)

In fact, after I used AGDPfix, all was smooth and semi automatic, I just had to say "Yes" or click "OK" at any quistions :)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

first of all, thank you very much for such a great guide. Everything works perfectly, however, I got a problem with connecting 5.1 speakers. When I navigate to Preferences -> Sound -> Output; there are multiple instances of "Line Out" where each 'represents' one connector.

When I click on:
Internal Speakers - only front speakers are enabled
Line Out #1 - rear speakers are enabled
Line Out #2 - central speaker + subwoofer is enabled

Is there some possibility to "merge" those instances to one? So I can achieve state where all speakers are active.
Thanks very much in advance!!!

Screen_Shot_2016_06_09_at_21_05_47.png

Is anyone using this motherboard with one (or two) M.2 Samsung 950 Pro boot drives?

Sorry for posting a question that could be answered by a thorough search, but unfortunately "search inside this thread" throws up lots of false positives for "m.2" or "950 pro".​

You can just put NVMeGeneric.kext into the Clover kext folder. It works like charm.

Hello, I followed the guide and all it working except that HDMI Audio is not working. Only Line OUT and Headphones audio is working. Is there a second way of doing it? Second question, which Blutooth usb is compatible with ga-z170x-ud3 and latest macOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back