Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] El Capitan on the GA-Z170X-UD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
@cnrd: Nevermind, fixed it!

File got renamed mistakenly thus causing an error when trying to execute...:shh:

Thanks anyways!

Cheers!

Haha I hadn't either.

Anyways have swapped a few SATA connections around and all is working again.

All that is needed now is a 9xx series Nvidia card to replace the 390x (Honestly love the card but I do need my main machine to be OS X compatible)

&&, to find out how to get the machine to not turn itself back on once I shutdown :confused:

Thanks for the guide :)

@cnrd:

I just found out that when using Clover version r34xx with OS X El Capitan 10.11.3/10.11.4 major audio distortions will occur when playing songs in iTunes - starting after about 3 minutes! (annoying crackling sound).

For anyone having this problem:

revert back to version r33xx and everything will be fine again!

@cnrd Thanks so much for putting this guide together, it is really well done! I just finished my build and everything is working great. I'm using an nvidia gtx 660ti, so I had to jump through the extra hoop (Problem #4) of patching that in clover. It was surprising, since the card has always been flawless in previous builds without any tinkering.

@austrianhack, you can fix the audio static by putting the following in your clover config.plist:

Code:
    <key>CPU</key>
    <dict>
        <key>QPI</key>
        <integer>100</integer>
        <key>UseARTFrequency</key>
        <false/>
    </dict>

Also just noticed that if you edit your config with CloverConfigurator, it will strip out that new key "UseARTFrequency", so you will have to put it back in manually.

Last edited:
@cnrd Thanks so much for putting this guide together, it is really well done! I just finished my build and everything is working great. I'm using an nvidia gtx 660ti, so I had to jump through the extra hoop (Problem #4) of patching that in clover. It was surprising, since the card has always been flawless in previous builds without any tinkering.

@austrianhack, you can fix the audio static by putting the following in your clover config.plist:

Code:
    <key>CPU</key>
    <dict>
        <key>QPI</key>
        <integer>100</integer>
        <false/>
    </dict>

Also just noticed that if you edit your config with CloverConfigurator, it will strip out that new key "UseARTFrequency", so you will have to put it back in manually.

660ti: Caused by some wierdness in the iMac 17,1 identifier (Which is used because it has the best support for Skylake HW).

UseARTFrequency Thanks for posting that, I also saw the same thing, just forgot to mention it :) Let's hope they update it soon with support. Rewriting the whole file is a bad design choice anyway, as stuff like that will happen, they shouldn't be touching variables that people added in any way (Unless changed in the configurator).

Code:
    <key>CPU</key>
    <dict>
        <key>QPI</key>
        <integer>100</integer>
        <false/>
    </dict>

Thanks for that!

Hi guys,

I'm totaly new to the hackintosh.
I tried the generic install (that fail) and then found this guide focused on the mother board I choosed.

I followed all the steps, but my tries don't go futher than 55% of the progress bar of El Capitan boot.

First of all, my setup :
- GA-Z170X-UD3 mother board (thanks Mr Obvious ^^) with F2 BIOS.
- i7-6700 3.4Ghz
- 16 GB Crucial memory (2x8)
- 500 GB Crucial MX200 SSD
- 8GB (transcend) & 16 GB (Sandisk) USB flash drive

-EVGA GTX950 (not yet received from Amazon).
No GFX card so I put the BIOS Initial Display Output to IGFX
First tries, I was looping back to the bios setup until I setup the memory right (size, speed, slots..).

At last I arrived at Clover boot screen (with shell, boot options, options, reboot, exit...)
When I choose the Instal, I got the apple logo and the progress bar until around 55% I got the crash logo :/

With the verbose, I can see that the install crash after serching for Bluetooth.
The last readable line is "USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 0x00000000 0x8564 0x100 0x100, 2"
After that, the screen is unreable and there are 3 or 4 line more about "...assuming successful wakeunits 224 sleepunits 0"

What direction should I look ?
- the BIOS ? If so how can I upgrade without any Windows near me ?
- beside the Memory, what should I focus on in the config.plist file ?
- the GFX card ? Do I have it installed before any new try ? (I should receive it by to the 10th of may)
- Is the SSD the problem ? Should I enable Trim in the config.plist ?

Thanks in advance for the help

Edit : found the way to add boot args : still crashing at the same point

What direction should I look ?
- the BIOS ? If so how can I upgrade without any Windows near me ?
- beside the Memory, what should I focus on in the config.plist file ?
- the GFX card ? Do I have it installed before any new try ? (I should receive it by to the 10th of may)
- Is the SSD the problem ? Should I enable Trim in the config.plist ?

Thanks in advance for the help

Edit : found the way to add boot args : still crashing at the same point

You can download the bios upgrade file (F6) to a flash drive and upgrade it directly from the bios interface (QFLASH I believe the option is called). That should be your first step, then make sure your BIOS settings match what cnrd posted in the guide. I did a "load optimal defaults" followed by updating to cnrd's specific settings.

The SSD is not the problem, and the existence of trim won't have an impact on the installation process.

The issue is maybe the internal graphics, not sure if it's supported. Do you have another graphics card to try? If not, then you may just need to wait until your 950 comes in.

Thanks for the BIOS tip, I'll use it tomorrow.

After my last attempt, I didn't turn off the computer.
Now the crippled verbose tells me "hfs: mounted Install OS X El Capitan on device root_device"...
I don't know what happends, but it's very slow ^^
USB flash drive led is blinking very slowly

I'll check tomorrow morning...

Edt : BIOS updated, setup done as required (except for the GFX part, "IGFX" and "Enable" in required zone) but still crashing at the same point...

Thanks for the BIOS tip, I'll use it tomorrow.

After my last attempt, I didn't turn off the computer.
Now the crippled verbose tells me "hfs: mounted Install OS X El Capitan on device root_device"...
I don't know what happends, but it's very slow ^^
USB flash drive led is blinking very slowly

I'll check tomorrow morning...

Edt : BIOS updated, setup done as required (except for the GFX part, "IGFX" and "Enable" in required zone) but still crashing at the same point...

You should be able to use your intel GFX using this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...30-integrated-graphics-working-10-11-4-a.html just make sure that your installer is 10.11.4

You should be able to boot using just the edits in the config from that link. (I haven't tested it myself.)

Question to people with working systems: I'm seeing a problem where after sleep auto-switching to headphone jack no longer works. Does that work for you? (It works fine for me until I sleep and wake my machine.) If it does not work I suspect that some changes are required in CodecCommander.kext, but just wanted to be sure that it is not just a problem with my machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back