Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8

I used MultiBeast to install USB 3.0, Keyboard/trackpad and Realtek ethernet.
So I should also install EasyBeast, FakeSMC and Chimera? But what should I install to the SSD? Because the system can only boot to that drive.
Or should I just install all of this to the OSX partition and manually add a boot choice through Windows? (Same like when you have 2 versions of Windows installed, you'll get the option to choose what OS you like to start with) And then make an OSX choice which directs to the OSX partition on the second harddisk (caddy hdd)

Did you read the Win8 + Mountain Lion dual booting guide that is a stickie at the top of this forum?
Win7/Win8 + Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks all work the same in dual booting.

IF (and this is a big IF on a prebuilt/store bought machine) Windows is installed legacy mode, then the guide for dual booting with Chimera applies and you select one of the Easy Beast selection + audio + network and install on the OS X drive. Make the OS X drive first in BIOS HDD boot order and select an OS to boot at the Chimera screen. Do nothing to the Windows drive or you will have to re-install.

If the manufacturer installed Win7/8 in UEFI mode, then you need to use Clover as your boot loader.
See the Clover install guide instead of the UniBeast guide and select to install UEFI Clover.

Did you read the Win8 + Mountain Lion dual booting guide that is a stickie at the top of this forum?
Win7/Win8 + Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks all work the same in dual booting.

IF (and this is a big IF on a prebuilt/store bought machine) Windows is installed legacy mode, then the guide for dual booting with Chimera applies and you select one of the Easy Beast selection + audio + network and install on the OS X drive. Make the OS X drive first in BIOS HDD boot order and select an OS to boot at the Chimera screen. Do nothing to the Windows drive or you will have to re-install.

If the manufacturer installed Win7/8 in UEFI mode, then you need to use Clover as your boot loader.
See the Clover install guide instead of the UniBeast guide and select to install UEFI Clover.

Yes I did read the start post.

Sorry I forgot to mention the UEFI part. No Windows is installed the regular way (my bios doesn't support UEFI). I did a clean install of Windows 7 myself. It is in Legacy mode. (it is or eufi or legacy right?)

As mentioned before, I can't boot my laptop into my harddisk which contains my OSX installation because it can't boot from the haddisk in caddy location. It can only boot from the SSD in the official harddisk location. And because Windows is my primary operating system, I want to keep my SSD on that location.

Yes I did read the start post.

Sorry I forgot to mention the UEFI part. No Windows is installed the regular way (my bios doesn't support UEFI). I did a clean install of Windows 7 myself. It is in Legacy mode. (it is or eufi or legacy right?)

As mentioned before, I can't boot my laptop into my harddisk which contains my OSX installation because it can't boot from the haddisk in caddy location. It can only boot from the SSD in the official harddisk location. And because Windows is my primary operating system, I want to keep my SSD on that location.

You can try and install Chimera pointed at the SSD, but if the system is incapable of booting a drive in the caddy position then you are probably going to be disappointed. More than likely your only alternative will be installing both OS's on the SSD and using the HDD as storage.

Hi all. I'm completely new to hackintoshing. I did start a thread last week that I learnt from so am now ready to go ahead with the install (just not sure which bootloader I should use yet). My first issue is with my current Windows install. I built my new rig two weeks ago with up to date current components so am not worried about compatibility. I installed Windows 8 first once I had finished building, but was not aware I had to follow the non uefi install as mentioned above. Is this only an issue with the chimera/chameleon?

Now. Is there a way to check your windows install to tell how it's been installed? I would rather not go with a fresh install as I've been using the PC for the last two weeks and have set everything up perfectly / accumulated stuff that I don't want to lose. If there is another way of installing with a UEFI install of windows and getting the Mac bootloader to work, how?
I have two seperate 250 Gb Samsung SSD's.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Click on the Start globe, type create in the search box, select Create and format hard disk partitions in the list above under control panel. Look at the formatting for your Win8 drive. If it has an EFI partition before the System partition and the C partition then you installed UEFI.
If you want to continue with UEFI and boot OS X UEFI also, see http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html and boot with Clover. Chimera can't boot Win8 UEFI because it can't see the EFI boot partition.

Is there anyway to create a non-uefi bootable usb for windows 8. currently i have an iso of windows 8 but i whenever i make a bootable drive it only works if i boot it as uefi

Is there anyway to create a non-uefi bootable usb for windows 8. currently i have an iso of windows 8 but i whenever i make a bootable drive it only works if i boot it as uefi

Where did the iso come from? If downloaded from MS store, iso contains both UEFI and Legacy install modes same as the purchased DVD.
Did you create the USB correctly using Windows download tool?

Is there anyway possible to install Mountain lion from a fresh build.

Is there a way to install OSX Mountain Lion to my build WITHOUT having access to a Mac System?

If so please let me know. Thank you

Is there a way to install OSX Mountain Lion to my build WITHOUT having access to a Mac System?

Yes but you must use snow leopard retail DVD and install snow leopard first then download mountain lion from the Mac App Store

See http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/80048-msi-z77a-gd65-windows-ml-pictures.html

ignore the BIOS section as that is for a particular board, but the rest applies. More than likely you will also be using iBoot Haswell rather than iBoot IB, but the procedure is the same.
Purchase a 10.6.3 Snow Leopard install DVD.
download the iBoot for your hardware and burn it to CD
install 10.6.3 and update it to 10.6.8 to get the Mac app store
download OS X from MAS
download UniBeast and create the USB installer (or use the Clover instructions if you want to use Clover instead of Chimera)
Install your latest OS X

If your hardware is Haswell, you need ML 10.8.5 or Mavericks 10.9 - earlier versions will not run on Haswell hardware.

Back