Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8

Thanks, but "Windows download tool" doesn't work on Windows 8.1,

Actually, it does. I've used it many times. Works with Win10 too...

Alleluia :lol: IT'S WORK

Finally i make my key with rufus 2.2
Thanks a lot for your help. During the next days i verify the stabilities of the both systems, and i need to buy a new graphic card in this sales period! Now i go to read the graphic card section. maybe a supposition?

I just completed the OS X 10.10 installation and everything was just fine :thumbup:. But I'm having trouble booting the Windows install drive.

My configuration:
MB:Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
Processor:
i3 4330
SSD Kingston HyperX (new):
For OS X
HDD Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB (currently running Win8.1):
For Windows 10

Here is my steps:

1. I have installed OS X 10.10 on the SSD via Unibeast and installed the drivers with Multibeast.
2. Downloaded Windows 10 Technical Preview from Microsoft page, and extracted the ISO file to the flash drive.
3. Plugged the HDD (no formated) and the Windows 10 installation drive, but when I choose "Usb - Usb Name" in the boot selection (instead of the UEFI option) I get the "Operating system missing" screen.

I tried to not select the boot manually and I was able to get to the installation screen, but I'm pretty sure that way it is selecting the UEFI option automatically, right?

I'm missing something? Thanks in advance!

I just completed the OS X 10.10 installation and everything was just fine :thumbup:. But I'm having trouble booting the Windows install drive.

My configuration:
MB:Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
Processor:
i3 4330
SSD Kingston HyperX (new):
For OS X
HDD Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB (currently running Win8.1):
For Windows 10

Here is my steps:

1. I have installed OS X 10.10 on the SSD via Unibeast and installed the drivers with Multibeast.
2. Downloaded Windows 10 Technical Preview from Microsoft page, and extracted the ISO file to the flash drive.
3. Plugged the HDD (no formated) and the Windows 10 installation drive, but when I choose "Usb - Usb Name" in the boot selection (instead of the UEFI option) I get the "Operating system missing" screen.

I tried to not select the boot manually and I was able to get to the installation screen, but I'm pretty sure that way it is selecting the UEFI option automatically, right?

I'm missing something? Thanks in advance!

Your method of creating the Windows installer USB only works for UEFI mode. It lacks a legacy bootloader.

Use the "Win7 USB Download Tool" (from Microsoft) to create a stick that can be booted in legacy mode.

Your method of creating the Windows installer USB only works for UEFI mode. It lacks a legacy bootloader.

Use the "Win7 USB Download Tool" (from Microsoft) to create a stick that can be booted in legacy mode.

Thank you for the quick reply, I'll try that.

Update: That worked perfectly, dual boot working fine now. Thank you again. ;)

Hi everyone,

I recently decided to update my windows 7 drive to Windows 10. Windows 7 was running smoothly as a dual boot from two hard drives, and I guess I got cocky. I am positive I kept the BIOS in Legacy (not UEFI) when installing Win 10 (64 bit) and I am fairly sure I disconnected My mOuntain lion drive.

Now when Booting (with Mountain Lion Drive set at the 1st boot option) the computer will boot to the apple white screen once then crash. Next time it boots it tries to run fsck before it ultimately boots into windows. I can no longer see the Apple disk in bios.

I disconnected the disk and mounted it to my laptop using an external case and it mounts just fine. But I can't get it to mount as a boot disk anymore.

Computer specs:

i-4770k, GA-Z87N-Wifi, Mountain Lion and Windows 10 (64 bit), 16GB Crucial RAM, both OS installed on 512 GB SSD.

Do I need to run Multibeast? Or did I screw the pooch and should I just start all over?

I have a 1TB Blank hard drive I was thinking of installing Yosemite to in order to see if I could get it up and running. Would that help? I'm so frustrated because on the first install of Win 8 (before I decided to go all the way to 10) it was dual booting just fine.

Oh ****, I created a windows 10 USB. Did I force it to UEFI mode? Damn it.
What is the fix for this? Do I have to start from scratch?

I installed Yosemite with Clover, can i follow the guide on the first page to install windows as well? I am confused because the word chimera pops up, which is a different method, right?

plus i am not quite sure what the uefi and efi means, i just installed Yosemite with Clover following the guide provied in this forum :)

thanks

I installed Yosemite with Clover, can i follow the guide on the first page to install windows as well? I am confused because the word chimera pops up, which is a different method, right?

plus i am not quite sure what the uefi and efi means, i just installed Yosemite with Clover following the guide provied in this forum :)

thanks
EFI = Extensible Firmware Interface
UEFI = Unified Extensible Firmware Interface

UEFI on Z77 boards and later is replacing the old BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) - the base line firmware controlling the mainboard components and interfacing with the OS.

You can use Clover as your boot loader instead of Chimera/Chameleon if you want. Might take you a while to figure out the correct configuration needed for your hardware, but it is probably going to be the boot loader of the future, so might as well learn it now.

Thanks for your answer and help!

i installed Windows 8.1 now on a second HDD while the SSD for Mac OS was disconncted and everything seems fine.

the HDD is formated in NTFS, is that a problem?

i would like to have only the "right" Mac OS and Windows icons to be shown in the clover menu. is there a guide for this as well? i guess i have to use the clover configurator?

Back