Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8

I'm doing my first hackintosh, but I'm still planning the execution and picking the hardware. At first I plan to install the OS X in a SSD and Windows 8.1 in a regular 1TB HDD.

I have been doing my research, but some topics are still tricky for me. So, I have some noob questions about this Windows install process in separate drives.

1. In case if I install Win8 from a usb flash drive (instead of a DVD) will it shows up as SATA and UEFI in the boot device selection for me to pick one?

2. Is it mandatory to format the HDD to install Win 8?

3. After the installation could I use the HDD to install some applications from OS X and storage data? Or it has to be for windows only?

Thanks in advance and sorry for any grammar mistake or repeated questions that I may have done.
1. USB Windows Installer shows up in BIOS boot selection as USB - "USB Name" and as EFI USB - "USB Name" - which you pick will determine how the HDD gets formatted - USB = Legacy/MBR, EFI USB = UEFI

2. If you click on the advanced button at the install screen it brings up the disk management tool screen. If you select the partitions on the HDD and choose to delete them and then click Continue, the Windows installer will create any/all partitions needed and format them. Whether the Installer formats for Legacy or for UEFI depends on which USB you chose to boot from in question 1.

3. You could create additional partitions on the Windows drive, format them FAT32 and share the partition between OS X and Windows. You can create additional partitions and format them NTFS, then boot OS X and erase a partition with format OS X Extended (Journaled) and it will not even show up in Windows Explorer unless you install some third party software like Paragon for Windows. You could format a partition NTFS and use it for Windows storage only - it will show up in OS X Finder as an NTFS partition and you can read files on the partition, but not write to it unless you install some third party software like Paragon for OS X. Never tried to install applications on a partition of a Windows formatted drive so cannot give advice here - all I can say is try it, it might work.

Thank you!

Let me see if I get this straight: I still don't want the UEFI installation, right? So I should choose the "USB - 'USB Name'" instead of the "EFI USB - 'USB Name'", correct?

Thank you again for the help.

Thank you!

Let me see if I get this straight: I still don't want the UEFI installation, right? So I should choose the "USB - 'USB Name'" instead of the "EFI USB - 'USB Name'", correct?

Thank you again for the help.
This really depends on your mainboard and your choice of boot loader and how you are installing.
If the board has legacy BIOS, then USB-USB Name
If the board has UEFI, first choose what will be your boot loader - Clover or Chimera

OS X and Windows on same drive + Chimera = USB for legacy boot + UEFI settings to allow Legacy booting
OS X and WIndows on separate drives + Chimera = USB for legacy boot + UEFI settings to allow Legacy booting

Otherwise choose EFI USB + Clover.
There is an excelent guide by nguyenmac in the Laptop forum on installing OS X and Windows UEFI using Clover boot loader that you can follow - just ignore the laptop specific items.

This really depends on your mainboard and your choice of boot loader and how you are installing.
If the board has legacy BIOS, then USB-USB Name
If the board has UEFI, first choose what will be your boot loader - Clover or Chimera

OS X and Windows on same drive + Chimera = USB for legacy boot + UEFI settings to allow Legacy booting
OS X and WIndows on separate drives + Chimera = USB for legacy boot + UEFI settings to allow Legacy booting

Otherwise choose EFI USB + Clover.
There is an excelent guide by nguyenmac in the Laptop forum on installing OS X and Windows UEFI using Clover boot loader that you can follow - just ignore the laptop specific items.

Ah, ok. I think that I get it.

I'll use some gigabyte motherboard with UEFI from Buyer's Guide and I rather use the unibeast method since I'm not a advanced user and it is my first time "hackintoshing".

Also I'll install OS X and Windows on separate drives + Chimera.

So I'll have to choose "USB - 'USB Name'" in boot selection when installing Windows so Chimera can "see" the boot files.

Thank you for the clarification.

Hi,

I have somes difficults to instal Mac os Yosemite and windows 8.1 on the same SSD.
It’s my first hackintosh.

My config ;
Asus Z97 M- Plus
I7 4790K
16 Go Ram
Graph intel 4600HD

My method :

- I make the USB keyboot (yosemite + Multibeast) with Unibeast on my laptop (moutain Lion OS)
- I plug the keyboot and i run the desktop.
- I format the ssd on 2 equal partition with DiskUtility (Yosemite version on the key) ;
Mac os journalised with GUID option for Yosemite space.
MS DOS FAT with GUID option for window space.
- I install yosemite, i restart with the USB key boot engaged, i boot on the new install, i dropped on the desk multibeast. For the moment, i didn’t install multibeast elements.
- I switch off, i remove the yosemite/multibeat keyboot and i plug the windows keyboot.
- The windows install program start directly, i select custom install and installer show me the different disk part.

The problem it’s, if i select the windows part, than i make with diskutility,
i can’t install -→ problem with « GPT «, but (i have read) usually « you just need to format with windows » and after you can install (i see that in a lot of videos on the web), but for me « format » doesn’t work ; i format, but after i can’t go on the next step, (the button « next » stay in a fog).

I have also try with « diskpart » (select disk, clean, convert etc….) to convert the space, but it doesn’t work, because he show me only all the SSD and if i used it, yosemite space diseaper !!.

I think i make something wrong….but what ?

Thanks

Hi,

I have somes difficults to instal Mac os Yosemite and windows 8.1 on the same SSD.
It’s my first hackintosh.

My config ;
Asus Z97 M- Plus
I7 4790K
16 Go Ram
Graph intel 4600HD

My method :

- I make the USB keyboot (yosemite + Multibeast) with Unibeast on my laptop (moutain Lion OS)
- I plug the keyboot and i run the desktop.
- I format the ssd on 2 equal partition with DiskUtility (Yosemite version on the key) ;
Mac os journalised with GUID option for Yosemite space.
MS DOS FAT with GUID option for window space.
- I install yosemite, i restart with the USB key boot engaged, i boot on the new install, i dropped on the desk multibeast. For the moment, i didn’t install multibeast elements.
- I switch off, i remove the yosemite/multibeat keyboot and i plug the windows keyboot.
- The windows install program start directly, i select custom install and installer show me the different disk part.

The problem it’s, if i select the windows part, than i make with diskutility,
i can’t install -→ problem with « GPT «, but (i have read) usually « you just need to format with windows » and after you can install (i see that in a lot of videos on the web), but for me « format » doesn’t work ; i format, but after i can’t go on the next step, (the button « next » stay in a fog).

I have also try with « diskpart » (select disk, clean, convert etc….) to convert the space, but it doesn’t work, because he show me only all the SSD and if i used it, yosemite space diseaper !!.

I think i make something wrong….but what ?

Thanks
When booting the Windows install media did you make sure to select the non-UEFI boot device?
At the first installation screen did you clcik on advanced, select the MSDOS FAT32 partition and click on format to format it NTFS? This is required before you continue.

Hi,
I give you information about bios.

Boot/CSm (compatibility support module)
- launch cm ; enabled
- boot device control ; UEFI and legacy OPROM

Secure boot
-OS type ; Other OS

Boot option priorities (in this place, i can't select the sandisk without UEFI)
#1 UEFI (FAT) sandisk ... (where is windows)
#2 Samsung SSD

Boot override
UEFI (fat) Sandisk …. 32gb if i select this, windows install running but after i can't format the volume for windows make before
Sandisk …. 32gb if i select this, mac os x running
Samusung SSD if i select this, mac os x running

On the screen where windows ask me a direction i have;
disk 0 partition 1 200,00 Mo 0.0Mo principal
disk 0 partition 2 139,2 Go 0.0Mo System (mac space with Yosemite installed)
disk 0 partition 3 619,00 Mo 0.0Mo principal
disk 0 partition 4 92.9 Go 0.0Go principal (the space for Windows)

But if i select format disk 0 partition 4 nothing happened because MBR and with disk part i see only 2 volume (one 29gb and the other 220GB).

I not understand because when i format the volume with disk utility i have selected GUID for the both volum and windows tell me it's a MBR volume. If i go to "Diagnostics and recovery toolset", "disk wipe" find well the volume "D:\92.9 GB NTFS"
Question, there are a windows UEFI version and NO UEFI version ?

Hi,
I give you information about bios.

Boot/CSm (compatibility support module)
- launch cm ; enabled
- boot device control ; UEFI and legacy OPROM

Secure boot
-OS type ; Other OS

Boot option priorities (in this place, i can't select the sandisk without UEFI)
#1 UEFI (FAT) sandisk ... (where is windows)
#2 Samsung SSD

Boot override
UEFI (fat) Sandisk …. 32gb if i select this, windows install running but after i can't format the volume for windows make before
Sandisk …. 32gb if i select this, mac os x running
Samusung SSD if i select this, mac os x running

On the screen where windows ask me a direction i have;
disk 0 partition 1 200,00 Mo 0.0Mo principal
disk 0 partition 2 139,2 Go 0.0Mo System (mac space with Yosemite installed)
disk 0 partition 3 619,00 Mo 0.0Mo principal
disk 0 partition 4 92.9 Go 0.0Go principal (the space for Windows)

But if i select format disk 0 partition 4 nothing happened because MBR and with disk part i see only 2 volume (one 29gb and the other 220GB).

I not understand because when i format the volume with disk utility i have selected GUID for the both volum and windows tell me it's a MBR volume. If i go to "Diagnostics and recovery toolset", "disk wipe" find well the volume "D:\92.9 GB NTFS"
Question, there are a windows UEFI version and NO UEFI version ?

Open terminal and type

diskutil list

hit enter.
Take a pic of the terminal screen and post it here.

Question - your Windows installation media - when connected do you see it listed twice? Something like
USB Windows install
EFI USB Windows install

If all you see is the UEFI USB, then see procedure http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...-install-yosemite-hp-laptops-clover-uefi.html

To began, thank for your help!.
Terminal info;

Mac-pro-de-Spidey: Gallou$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: Type name Size identifier
0: GUID_partition_scheme +250.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS mac 114.5 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
4: Microsoft Basic Data Win 134.7 GB disk0s4

In bios i have;
- Samsung …. (My hard drive with 2 spaces, mac and win)
- sandisk 320000.MB (the windows 8.1 keyboot make with unetbootin) I can't boot with this ! if i select it, mac os running
- UEFI-(FAT) sandisck 320000.MB (the windows 8.1 keyboot make with unetbootin) i can boot with this for starting the windows install. After select "custom install" i see that;

IMG_0380.JPG

Back