Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8

Here we go again...

Sorry but I'm really novice in that kind of installation. I did everything that is recommended to do in the guide. Mountain Lion is installing well, then i boot from the USB once again, but I don't know what options I've got to select in MultiBeast.
I've read a comment that told to begin with basics (sound and network) and then to restart the computer. I've done that... and here's what happened :
- if I let the USB device plugged, the boot appears with two categories : usb and my SSD called Mountain Lion. So I choose Mountain Lion, I've got the white screen with the apple, and then nothing happens ;
- if I unplug the USB device, the computer boot directly on the BIOS.

All other drives are unplugged.

Can you help me please ? I really need that Apple part working on my computer... I've got some work to do coming very soon and I'm a little bit stressed about it.

Here's my specs again :

- Mobo : Asus Z87 Pro
- CPU : Intel Core i7 4770k
- GPU : Gainward Nvidia GTX Titan
- RAM : G.Skill Sniper 16Go
- SSD : Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256Go
- HDD : Seagate Barracuda 7200 2To and Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 3To

Here we go again...

I've read a comment that told to begin with basics (sound and network) and then to restart the computer. I've done that... and here's what happened :
- if I let the USB device plugged, the boot appears with two categories : usb and my SSD called Mountain Lion. So I choose Mountain Lion, I've got the white screen with the apple, and then nothing happens ;

Start computer with USB plugged in. On the Chimera boot screen, Type "GraphicsEnabler=No" (without quotation marks). If that alone does not get you past the White Screen, add -x with the next try.

Once ML starts, use MultiBeast 5.5.5 and begin by checking the User DSDT or DSDT free installation.

Unmount and remove the USB drive and restart. The computer should start in OSX. Note the Chimera start screen will only display for approx 2 seconds and not show the Win disk. To show the Win disk and stop the countdown
hit any key on your keyboard.

Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 9.05.43 AM.png

Here we go again...

Sorry but I'm really novice in that kind of installation. I did everything that is recommended to do in the guide. Mountain Lion is installing well, then i boot from the USB once again, but I don't know what options I've got to select in MultiBeast.
- if I unplug the USB device, the computer boot directly on the BIOS.

All other drives are unplugged.

Can you help me please ? I really need that Apple part working on my computer... I've got some work to do coming very soon and I'm a little bit stressed about it.

Here's my specs again :

- Mobo : Asus Z87 Pro
- CPU : Intel Core i7 4770k
- GPU : Gainward Nvidia GTX Titan
- RAM : G.Skill Sniper 16Go
- SSD : Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256Go
- HDD : Seagate Barracuda 7200 2To and Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 3To

Something found out about the 8 series Asus motherboards - you can't boot a GUID formatted drive in Legacy mode. This is unfortunate in that Chimera/Chameleon does not work booting in UEFI mode. There is a workaround for this, however, and is not hard to do. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Also, AFAIK, the Titan gfx card is unsupported - something about the Gk110 chip rather than the Gk104 kepler chip IIRC.

I have problem installing windows 8 on another drive. My first SSD has Mac OSX installed (works perfectly), and my other SSD is for Windows.

I completely followed your guide, with the only difference that I made a bootable Win8 USB in boot camp assistant. I'm doing this because I don't have an optical drive in my system.

When I disconnect all the drives (except for my to become win 8 drive), and reboot my system, my system recognizes the USB drive because it's blinking, but no Windows installation screen comes up. It remains black and my USB keeps blinking.

I've already set my MOBO (Gigabyte UD3H) to Legacy Mode only.

What can I do to install Win 8 on my other SSD?

I have problem installing windows 8 on another drive. My first SSD has Mac OSX installed (works perfectly), and my other SSD is for Windows.

I completely followed your guide, with the only difference that I made a bootable Win8 USB in boot camp assistant. I'm doing this because I don't have an optical drive in my system.

When I disconnect all the drives (except for my to become win 8 drive), and reboot my system, my system recognizes the USB drive because it's blinking, but no Windows installation screen comes up. It remains black and my USB keeps blinking.

I've already set my MOBO (Gigabyte UD3H) to Legacy Mode only.

What can I do to install Win 8 on my other SSD?

Don't use Bootcamp. Bootcamp is for Macs. Your PC is not a Mac.

Use the "Win7 USB Download Tool" from Microsoft.

Don't use Bootcamp. Bootcamp is for Macs. Your PC is not a Mac.

Use the "Win7 USB Download Tool" from Microsoft.

That fixed the problem. I actually created the WIN 8 USB with bootcamp from an actual Mac. Didn't work. Created it with Win7 USB Download Tool and I was fine.

During the Win8 install I couldn't install it on my new SSD. I had to set the SATA drives to IDE instead of AHCI. That worked.

Hello guys!
I've sat a hell of a long time trying to install Windows 7 on a 45 GB NTFS partition of an internal ssd drive that is just used for storage (Not the one that Mavericks is installed on).
Most of the times the windows installer fails to even begin installation, it says something like that the computer can't read that hard drive or something coz of Bios settings which are actually correct set from what I know. And a few times I succeeded the installation but since it obviously installs as UEFI, chimera can't see the dedicated partition it was installed on.
And this is the problem that I don't know how to solve. In my bios I can't turn off UEFI, there's no legacy boot what so ever in the bios. And at the boot menu there is just one alternative to chose from when i am going to boot from the USB, not both SATA and Uefi like the tutorial said.
To make the USB bootable at all I used the program Zodiac on a pc. I don't know if this can cause the problem? Should I just put the clean ISO File of the windows on the usb perhaps?

Okay I got it working now, by setting BIOS to IDE instead AHCI as well and I also used that windows tool, dunno if that helped anything though.

Back