Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Monterey OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all those waiting for Ventura, VoodooI2C 2.8 just released moments ago with an alleged crash fix on macOS 13+.

Just came here to say the same thing!

I updated the I2C kexts as per the 2.8 release and shutdown and restarts no longer lead to a panic in Ventura. :D

I am looking to buy this laptop. Is there anything in terms of hardware that I have to look out for? Does it matter what year it was manufactured in?
The model we are discussing here is a 2017 model, XPS 9560. Not sure if they were manufactured in 2018 or later, but just verify your hardware.

There are many configurations of this machine available, but I'd recommend getting a model with the 6 cell, 97Wh battery. This removes the option for a 2.5" disk, but with SSDs so cheap today, I feel the battery is a better investment. If you end up getting a model with poor battery health, brand new, official batteries are available direct from Dell for ~$140 USD. I've personally replaced my battery twice, and all the Amazon/Ebay sellers are garbage compared to the Dell one.

Also - check your screen resolution. I personally own the 4K/touch model, but the 1080p/non-touch model will save you a good bit of battery life if that's more important to you. Note the changes in the config.plist for this on page 1.

Other than that, core components are replaceable still. Up-gradable RAM, replaceable battery, SSD, & WiFi card (we are using DW1560, usually an extra purchase). Best of luck!

The final Monterey support package has been uploaded to post #1. This contains the aforementioned update to VoodooI2C to fix Ventura support. While personally untested, this package should support macOS Ventura.

I am traveling this weekend, but plan to take the plunge into Ventura next week. I will post a new thread with an updated 2.0 package then.

As always, please test, and thanks for your continued support.

EDIT 2/28/23

My Ventura upgrade was successful with the latest package. The new thread and package v2.0 will be posted next week, after the release of OpenCore 0.9.0 and the associated updates with other kexts.

EDIT, later in the day:

The latest release neglected to update the necessary Bluetooth kexts to support Ventura. This will be corrected in the v2.0 release next week.

EDIT 3/8/23:
Ventura thread is now live: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-xps-9560-ventura-opencore.324866/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back