Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
all kexts you need should to be installed to /Library/Extensions

config.plist -> InjectKexts should be set to Detect

and keep essential kexts in clover/kexts/other

Thanks, set to detect and rebuilt kext cache.

I currently don't have cold boot - keyboard problem as reported by others (I cold boot frequently), so I'll just leave the kext in question in kexts/other. I read that you also recommended it to put it in kexts/other too, unless that info is outdated.

For the backlight not saving problem, I noticed it has been a problem before from past threads; the same case with Dell laptops. My brightness will also go back to 75% after I turn the laptop on just like others have described. I looked into my clover bootlogs and there is no mention of explicitly loading nvram.plist unless I'm reading it wrong. But I tested that my nvram works by saving a testvar and seeing if it sticked after reboot (it did).

ioreg shows that my backlight-level is <00 00> whenever I reboot since I did not set it to anything in config.plist. The value does change according to ioreg when I change brightness manually (currently at <93 01>).

Backlight not saving is a small problem, but I'm learning a lot. I'm more concerned about the crashing on sleep issue, but I'll investigate deeper and see if it's a problem because of my non-compatible wifi card.

Attachments

• debug_20386.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 65

I currently don't have cold boot - keyboard problem as reported by others (I cold boot frequently), so I'll just leave the kext in question in kexts/other. I read that you also recommended it to put it in kexts/other too, unless that info is outdated.

For the backlight not saving problem, I noticed it has been a problem before from past threads; the same case with Dell laptops. My brightness will also go back to 75% after I turn the laptop on just like others have described. I looked into my clover bootlogs and there is no mention of explicitly loading nvram.plist unless I'm reading it wrong. But I tested that my nvram works by saving a testvar and seeing if it sticked after reboot (it did).

ioreg shows that my backlight-level is <00 00> whenever I reboot since I did not set it to anything in config.plist. The value does change according to ioreg when I change brightness manually (currently at <93 01>).

Backlight not saving is a small problem, but I'm learning a lot. I'm more concerned about the crashing on sleep issue, but I'll investigate deeper and see if it's a problem because of my non-compatible wifi card.
no

only essential kexts belong in clover/kexts/other

and then all kexts installed to /Library/Extensions

you may find you have kexts in both locations, ie VirtualSMC.kext, lilu, whatevergreen, voodoops2controller, they are classed as essential to get to the installer
you don't need AppleBacklightFixup.kext etc for the installer, remove those

best to read the guide, post 2 on installing kexts:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Nobody should have keyboard cold boot issues after they install voodoops2controller into L/E as stated in the guide.

Backlight saving isn't working correctly b/c some reason your native nvram isn't working. Delete your nvram.plist file, remove rc.scripts, restart and at the Clover boot screen F11 or Func + F11 to clear NVRAM. Then you can test the backlight.

So I figured out why IOREG was not being auto-generated. I was using iTerm2 as my Terminal replacement so I can have vertical split screen for coding with vim. There was no accessibility pop up for iTerm2 to automate saving IOREG (or maybe there was when I first installed it a while ago). I accidentally used normal terminal and was prompted when using gen_debug and it worked.

Nobody should have keyboard cold boot issues after they install voodoops2controller into L/E as stated in the guide.

Backlight saving isn't working correctly b/c some reason your native nvram isn't working. Delete your nvram.plist file, remove rc.scripts, restart and at the Clover boot screen F11 or Func + F11 to clear NVRAM. Then you can test the backlight.

Thanks, after clearing NVRAM my brightness is now saved.

Did you install all the kexts from kexts/other to /L/E? I did that with KextBeast but now my touchpad gestures do not work anymore. How does your /L/E folder look like? I tried picking which kexts were essential versus needed, but ended up getting stuck while booting, so I just stuck with the original kexts/other folder in opening post.

I've tried clearing kextcache, by booting with -f flag and sudo kextcache -i /

Steps I've tried to get back touchpad gestures:
  • Removed VoodooI2C and VoodooI2CHID from L/E
  • Disassembled DSDT/SSDT with Rehabman's guide
  • Fixed 3 syntax errors / 1 illegal recursive call in the DSDT.dsl and applied Windows/GPIO patch from VoodooI2C
  • Compiled with no error and 30 something warnings
  • Saved as AML
  • Moved AML file to EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched
  • config.plist Automerge true and dropoem false
  • and then I rebooted
I also didn't know that unsigned kexts warnings in kextcache log were the expected output, I couldn't find what expected output was online.

Worst case scenario is that I do a clean install again to get touchpad gestures back.

Thanks again for the help to all.

Attachments

• debug_15723.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Did you install all the kexts from kexts/other to /L/E?

No, only VoodooPS2Controller.kext, read the guide under the post install section.

Very, very well written guide. I had a working XPS 15 9560 in less than two hours, which is insane. Unfortunately though, I have had much issue with my iMessage working. I've done everything from checking the SMBIOS
upload_2018-11-9_0-17-14.png

To verifying that NVRAM works
upload_2018-11-9_0-17-52.png

And then to calling Apple Support.

After calling Apple Support, I was able to escape the dreaded 12 digit code, and now am greeted with this.
upload_2018-11-9_0-18-37.png

I am using a Dell 1560, the same as the one posted in the guide, which made me even more shocked when this didn't work.

As a last resort, I checked on Network Utility;
upload_2018-11-9_0-19-55.png

And much to my dismay, this was named correctly as en0.
I needed to make sure that this was patched properly though--so I checked DCPIManager,
upload_2018-11-9_0-21-38.png

And yes, this was builtin.
I'm currently stuck at a loss. I suspect that it might be a bad SMBIOS, much to my dismay, but at the same time, I don't think it's reasonable for it be a bad SMBIOS. I've checked on checkcoverage.apple.com, returning this:
upload_2018-11-9_0-23-26.png

and easymac says that this is a correctly formatted serial number.

Are there ANY other steps I can try to get iMessage working?

Thanks for the guide though, absolutely fantastic.
--------------------------------
Another thing I've noticed is that if I don't progress to that screen, I'm stuck here:
upload_2018-11-9_0-56-38.png
hitting next results in no error message, just it returning me back here.

I'm honestly not quite sure what the error is at all, because Console didn't seem to say anything.
Interestingly enough, if I spam it enough, I end up with this:
upload_2018-11-9_0-59-10.png

Or this:
upload_2018-11-9_1-0-16.png

Last edited:
  • Currently using BIOS 1.12.1
  • If you are not using a Windows dual boot you can easily update the BIOS from within the BIOS by using a flash drive and placing the .exe file directly on it. Has to be a FAT32 partition I believe. I placed it in my Clover EFI partition for the update. Smooth sailing.

@mazakiss, I did, which is why I posted that very long string of screenshots to show every single step of the guide was followed. I'm not sure why I'm still getting this error though. I even followed the Fix iMessage guide, and not a single step failed. I'm not sure how to proceed at this point, other than to wait.

------------------------ UPDATE 2:53 -----------------------
Went right back to "You cannot sign into iMessage at this time"... that's unfortunate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back