Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Big Sur OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok yea Big Sur pretty much requires open core. I got an idea can you boot into your Catalina install with my open core efi?
Thanks I'll try both your suggestions tonight:)

I went ahead and just created a new usb installer and used the latest efi I posted and it booted up fine, selected the install option and it loaded up recovery for installing. It zipped right past where yours stopped. Maybe hardware difference is the problem here considering it couldn't get past the light sensor.

I think you have the right idea starting with removing CPUFriend.

One thing i noticed is whatevergreen is way down in the list, I moved it up to Item 3. This is fine post install but maybe an issue for the installer.
I disabled a bunch of kexts that shouldn't necessarily be needed for install.
You don't need to delete the kexts, just try out this new config and report back.

@saschabo give this a try too, but I believe your issues are a bit different.

I'm curious what WiFi cards you guys are using as maybe that is an issue as well.
So booting with clover did as expected not work. And with your Test Config it is now stuck at: dev_init:300: disk1 device_handle block size 4096 block count 181520635 features 0 internal solidstate

If that tells you anything..

I went ahead and just created a new usb installer and used the latest efi I posted and it booted up fine, selected the install option and it loaded up recovery for installing. It zipped right past where yours stopped. Maybe hardware difference is the problem here considering it couldn't get past the light sensor.

I think you have the right idea starting with removing CPUFriend.

One thing i noticed is whatevergreen is way down in the list, I moved it up to Item 3. This is fine post install but maybe an issue for the installer.
I disabled a bunch of kexts that shouldn't necessarily be needed for install.
You don't need to delete the kexts, just try out this new config and report back.

@saschabo give this a try too, but I believe your issues are a bit different.

I'm curious what WiFi cards you guys are using as maybe that is an issue as well.

Thanks for the quick reply and the willingness to help me troubleshoot my issue - I really appreciate it!

My wifi card is the "Broadcom BCM94352Z DW1560 NGFF WiFi Card 802.11ac 2.4G/5G 1200Mbps Bluetooth 4.0" which connects fine, but bluetooth doesn't work, and not just with your EFI, I can't seem to get it working at all on any.

The only other piece of differing hardware is I replaced the original m.sata drive with a 512GB Samsung Evo.

So with your full EFI, I can pair that with a Catalina USB installer, and get Catalina installed fine.
If I pair it with BIG SUR USB installer, it doesn't load.

So I went ahead and used the full EFI installer last night and installed Catalina, but then when I download the BIG SUR update through the play store and try to run it, I get the goofy error I posted above, MAC logs my user out, and when I log back in, everything has been forced closed.

I tried the smaller EFI you just posted above, and the same issue occurred when trying to upgrade within OSX Catalina, and I also couldn't load the full usb installer either.

The only idea that comes to mind is this maybe being HD related? I do have a split partition with Windows 10 on one. But not sure why that would effect anything.

Last edited:
So booting with clover did as expected not work. And with your Test Config it is now stuck at: dev_init:300: disk1 device_handle block size 4096 block count 181520635 features 0 internal solidstate

If that tells you anything..
I didn't say boot with clover, I said boot catalina with OpenCore. Try adding Catalina's patched AppleAHCIPort.kext
to your usb, kext folder and the config plist.
Thanks for the quick reply and the willingness to help me troubleshoot my issue - I really appreciate it!

My wifi card is the "Broadcom BCM94352Z DW1560 NGFF WiFi Card 802.11ac 2.4G/5G 1200Mbps Bluetooth 4.0" which connects fine, but bluetooth doesn't work, and not just with your EFI, I can't seem to get it working at all on any.

The only other piece of differing hardware is I replaced the original m.sata drive with a 512GB Samsung Evo.

So with your full EFI, I can pair that with a Catalina USB installer, and get Catalina installed fine.
If I pair it with BIG SUR USB installer, it doesn't load.

So I went ahead and used the full EFI installer last night and installed Catalina, but then when I download the BIG SUR update through the play store and try to run it, I get the goofy error I posted above, MAC logs my user out, and when I log back in, everything has been forced closed.

I tried the smaller EFI you just posted above, and the same issue occurred when trying to upgrade within OSX Catalina, and I also couldn't load the full usb installer either.

The only idea that comes to mind is this maybe being HD related? I do have a split partition with Windows 10 on one. But not sure why that would effect anything.
This might sound stupid, but add -x to the boot args and try to boot the installer in safe mode.
If bluetooth works in Windows it'll function in macOS, figure that out later.
I also am using a single nvme in the m.2 slot so no worries there however what Samsung Evo do you have? I read before there were issues with the 970pro or something? Needed a firmware update.

I didn't say boot with clover, I said boot catalina with OpenCore. Try adding Catalina's patched AppleAHCIPort.kext
to your usb, kext folder and the config plist.

This might sound stupid, but add -x to the boot args and try to boot the installer in safe mode.
I also am using a single nvme in the m.2 slot so no worries there however what Samsung Evo do you have? I read before there were issues with the 970pro or something? Needed a firmware update.
Thanks I did that. Now the last output is: HID: Legacy shim 2. Don't know if that is any better.

Thanks I did that. Now the last output is: HID: Legacy shim 2. Don't know if that is any better.

You did what? Because you just quoted two things.
That error could be using a usb 3.0, you might need 2.0 drive also the error could have been higher up so it's really just me guessing at this point. Try a 2.0 drive on the port closest to the power.

You did what? Because you just quoted two things.
That error could be using a usb 3.0, you might need 2.0 drive also the error could have been higher up so it's really just me guessing at this point. Try a 2.0 drive on the port closest to the power.
Thanks I'll do that.

Tried it with -x, but still same issue. I tried 2 different USB sticks as well, and it didn't solve the upgrade to Big Sur from within my Catalina install either.

The SSD is this one: 860 Evo
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078218TWQ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

My SSD and bios are on the newest versions.

Did the screen shot of that error I provided shed any light into the issue?

Thanks!

Edit: Here's another screenshot of the error that is given when trying to load the Big Sur installer rom the USB Drive

Attachments

• 20201209_173503.jpg
    20201209_173503.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Tried it with -x, but still same issue. I tried 2 different USB sticks as well, and it didn't solve the upgrade to Big Sur from within my Catalina install either.

The SSD is this one: 860 Evo
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078218TWQ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

My SSD and bios are on the newest versions.

Did the screen shot of that error I provided shed any light into the issue?

Thanks!

Edit: Here's another screenshot of the error that is given when trying to load the Big Sur installer rom the USB Drive
I think that's an nvram issue. Sounds like you're only booting off the USB, the actually installer isn't on the usb? If you started the upgrade in catalina, you'll have to restart it b/c with big sur the upgrade process will write drive/etc info to nvram. If it failed or whatever it needs to be restarted from the beginning even though the option is there for boot.

I think that's an nvram issue. Sounds like you're only booting off the USB, the actually installer isn't on the usb? If you started the upgrade in catalina, you'll have to restart it b/c with big sur the upgrade process will write drive/etc info to nvram. If it failed or whatever it needs to be restarted from the beginning even though the option is there for boot.

I am not sure what you mean. I am installing to my internal Hard drive, but I made a USB installer/boot disk with an EFI trying to launch it. Even when I put your EFI on the actual computer with the Catalina install, then it bugs out.

It fails everytime from trying to install within Catalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back