Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Big Sur OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean you have a WD Blue And SATA SSD? list every drive in your laptop and the model numbers

I'm assuming you didn't disable cfg lock correctly and verify it was disabled, I can't think of anything else, if you created a Big Sur USB installer and created the EFI with my files this really shouldn't be happening.

At this point I'm getting a bit frustrated with your approach of answering questions with minimal details and I'm not trying to be rude but you said you broke your windows partition and besides just asking everyone for their EFI's and not even checking for files to be where they are this might be over your head. I'm just being honest man, sorry if I do sound rude.
Sorry that was a typo I meant NAND Ssd and yes I disabled the CFG Lock according to your guide a few times now. And I'm sorry I am a bit frustrated too and I can completely understand your frustration as well. I am not expecting this much support what you already did was great and really nice. But I think I'll have do dig a little deeper into the Issues I'm having. I really don't want to steal any more of your time. Thanks again for everything!!

Sorry that was a typo I meant NAND Ssd and yes I disabled the CFG Lock according to your guide a few times now. And I'm sorry I am a bit frustrated too and I can completely understand your frustration as well. I am not expecting this much support what you already did was great and really nice. But I think I'll have do dig a little deeper into the Issues I'm having. I really don't want to steal any more of your time. Thanks again for everything!!
When you run the verify efi afterwards it says it is disabled?

I think so...

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-12-08 at 21.39.31.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-08 at 21.39.31.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 69
It is unlocked/disabled
when you boot to the usb, what are your options for boot?
- EFI
- Install macOS Big Sur
- Macintosh HD (My Catalina System)
- Recovery (Catalina)
- modGrubshell.efi
- VerifyMsrE2.efi
- CleanNvram.efi (Wich I did twice)
- OpenShell.efi
- Reset NVRAM

- EFI
- Install macOS Big Sur
- Macintosh HD (My Catalina System)
- Recovery (Catalina)
- modGrubshell.efi
- VerifyMsrE2.efi
- CleanNvram.efi (Wich I did twice)
- OpenShell.efi
- Reset NVRAM
OK, um what is the EFI option? That's not normal.
Does the USB include the actual big sur installer? B/c I remember it would say external or usb or something.
Did you try to upgrade directly from Catalina? and that is why install macOS big sur is added as an option?

OK, um what is the EFI option? That's not normal.
Does the USB include the actual big sur installer? B/c I remember it would say external or usb or something.
Did you try to upgrade directly from Catalina? and that is why install macOS big sur is added as an option?
Yes, so I booted into the EFI option and just got my normal Clover boot screen for Catalina. And yes I created the Usb with the createinstallmedia command from apple with an original Copy of Big Sur. But I never tried upgrading directly from Catalina since I screwed up many systems like that and I also read that it would be better to install Big Sur with Opencore.

Yes, so I booted into the EFI option and just got my normal Clover boot screen for Catalina. And yes I created the Usb with the createinstallmedia command from apple with an original Copy of Big Sur. But I never tried upgrading directly from Catalina since I screwed up many systems like that and I also read that it would be better to install Big Sur with Opencore.
Ok yea Big Sur pretty much requires open core. I got an idea can you boot into your Catalina install with my open core efi?

Been trying to get this work on my Dell XPS 15 9560 (4k screen + i5 CPU), but to no avail. I did the bios stuff you suggested, but it won't load the installer when it's Big Sur. So I loaded it up with a Catalina installer, it worked fine, but now when I try to upgrade to Big Sir with the installer within Catalina, it gives an error message, and then logs me out immediately, and when I log back in, the installer and everything is closed.

Any ideas? I removed your CPUFriendData kexts because I am running an i5.
Screen shot with error attached. It only shows for a second, so it's the best I could do.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 12.09.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 12.09.14 AM.png
    304.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Been trying to get this work on my Dell XPS 15 9560 (4k screen + i5 CPU), but to no avail. I did the bios stuff you suggested, but it won't load the installer when it's Big Sur. So I loaded it up with a Catalina installer, it worked fine, but now when I try to upgrade to Big Sir with the installer within Catalina, it gives an error message, and then logs me out immediately, and when I log back in, the installer and everything is closed.

Any ideas? I removed your CPUFriendData kexts because I am running an i5.
Screen shot with error attached. It only shows for a second, so it's the best I could do.

I went ahead and just created a new usb installer and used the latest efi I posted and it booted up fine, selected the install option and it loaded up recovery for installing. It zipped right past where yours stopped. Maybe hardware difference is the problem here considering it couldn't get past the light sensor.

I think you have the right idea starting with removing CPUFriend.

One thing i noticed is whatevergreen is way down in the list, I moved it up to Item 3. This is fine post install but maybe an issue for the installer.
I disabled a bunch of kexts that shouldn't necessarily be needed for install.
You don't need to delete the kexts, just try out this new config and report back.

@saschabo give this a try too, but I believe your issues are a bit different.

I'm curious what WiFi cards you guys are using as maybe that is an issue as well.

Attachments

• config - test install.plist
    42.8 KB · Views: 50
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back