Contribute
Register

Guide: Dell XPS 8500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawkscorpion,

Oh my. Nice work on the audio. Agreed, works. I have attached a screenshot from MB 5.1.1 that I used for my install. Plus Easybeast (I can't make a screenshot tall enough to show it all).

Note that I have an nVidia 640 card and I also added TP-Link TL-WDN4800 wireless card, both of which work OOB.

OSX 10.8.0 installs fine and 10.8.1 updater works fine but I haven't been able to get 10.8.2 to work, nor the front USB3 ports. But a lot is working.

J

Yeah pretty much everything works.

I am going to install 10.8.2 update later on. I will see if I can do some thing about it.

I'm guessing that the 10.8.2 update overwrites some kexts or .plist files. I haven't been editing those directly as some of those here do, so this is out of my league right now. But one could make a case for printing them out before and after updating to 10.8.2, which might inform you of which files are being substituted or overwritten.

It also might make sense perhaps to simply run Multibeast again after update, but before rebooting.

These are my admittedly nooby thoughts. Let me know hos things go. 10.8.2 totally messed mine up, I had to re-do all.

JHM

I'm Bill ( using my wife's name for this ...long story....)
I got the 8500 w/640 and 1Tb for $700 delivered and after all your help from this guide and other related to this machine i used MultiBeast to install ML, then on first boot i loaded the combo update and then did the post install, then the update fix with the acpip_ kext and did not delete any files manually. First reboot was fine and everything except BT/WiFi/USB3.0 ports and proper sleep ( monitor and hard drives but no power down_ restart from "SLEEP")
I am not using UEFI and no DSDT.

I want to know... if because i am using the i7 as to the i5 cpu that that is the reason i can not get the USB 3.0 to work. ( seems like the cpu controls it directly...?) It Panther point 68 i believe so is there a fix for this... because of what the newest macbooks are using now?
BT probably is hosed up from the DW1703 combo ( atheros ) wifi so maybe replacing one card fixes both.
what mini card fully works in ML in its place?
AND finally... will booting from UEFI instead of legacy fix my deep sleep problems or do I need a (patched) DSDT ?

I CAN USE THE BOTH NVIDIA HDMI PORT AND THE DVI PORT FOR DUAL MONITOR-NOT MIRRORED "OUT OF THE BOX" and HD4000 IS TURNED OFF IN BIOS...
Nvidia is fairly fast and the HDD(7200rpm_6Gb) is quick enough but I want everything working!

( easybeast, fakesmc+plugins and HWmonitor,Lnz2Macs realtek,patched cpupower10.8.0 and graphicsenabler=no were my MB items checked///Thanks for post "custom "ssd830ml"

WHAT SAY YOU , PEOPLE OF THE FORUM?
I AWAIT YOUR RESPONSE.....ZZZZZZZZ....TY......ZZZZZ.

I did have problems watching youtube. i installed FP 11.4 465 version and i had to keep the Mac Pro 3.1 profile...

I updated mine to 10.8.2 and it works fine! Make sure you download this; 10.8.2 problem
thanks to Photon for posting in this thread. Thanks a lot!

Do the front USB's (3.0) work after you updated to 10.2?

No it doesn't work. Only port works it top four on the back and top 2 on top of desktop.
I haven't test bottom two on the back. Front two, doesn't work.

Hi All,

Regarding 10.8.2 Update:

I screwed something up and ended up having to start from scratch with a new 10.8.2 Unibeast installer. That went well but I also needed to use the ACPI rollback mentioned earlier in this thread. I was changing a bunch of components (new vid card too) and tried the update. A little too ambitious. Anyway, 10.8.2 is working great for me.

Thanks for tip on which patched AppleHDA to use from the multibeast installer. I agree that this is way better than using VoodooHDA and I can use the back ports finally.

As for the USB 3.0 ports - I think I know why it's not working for some of you. On my system, I just noticed that only USB 3.0 devices will work on them. If I plug in a USB 2.0 device, the port fails to work. I have to use the USB 2.0 ports instead. So, if you're plugging in device into one of the blue ports, it has to be a USB 3.0 device. Otherwise, the port doesn't work. i don't know if this is some Mac OS X problem or what - strange...

-leonowski

Hi All,

Regarding 10.8.2 Update:

I screwed something up and ended up having to start from scratch with a new 10.8.2 Unibeast installer. That went well but I also needed to use the ACPI rollback mentioned earlier in this thread. I was changing a bunch of components (new vid card too) and tried the update. A little too ambitious. Anyway, 10.8.2 is working great for me.

Thanks for tip on which patched AppleHDA to use from the multibeast installer. I agree that this is way better than using VoodooHDA and I can use the back ports finally.

As for the USB 3.0 ports - I think I know why it's not working for some of you. On my system, I just noticed that only USB 3.0 devices will work on them. If I plug in a USB 2.0 device, the port fails to work. I have to use the USB 2.0 ports instead. So, if you're plugging in device into one of the blue ports, it has to be a USB 3.0 device. Otherwise, the port doesn't work. i don't know if this is some Mac OS X problem or what - strange...

-leonowski
Did you get Shutdown thing to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back