Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
@zanzy - you'll need to reset your EC controller the classic way, ie remove cover, disconnect battery and press power for 30 sec to discharge residuals. Sometimes the nvram and EC get into a messy state.

Thanks for that method, but it doesn't help, ui on 2.0.1 still sluggish and animations are slow. Maybe i should change some gpu settings? (setup_var 0x785 0x02)
I have a 3 orange and 3 white blinks, and find out the service picture from dell.
Of course, i don't have a recovery partition) Only Mac OS + EFI

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 58001.Capture.JPG
    58001.Capture.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 432
The 9360 Driver update site is a total mess lately, first they posted two BIOS at the same time, it was: 2.1.0 and 1.3.7, then they replaced 1.3.7 for 1.3.4 but still maintained 2.1.0, now they replaced 1.3.4 with 1.0.0 and maintained 2.1.0.

Why would they do that?
I have a theory but is probably wrong: maybe they will ask to install 1.0.0 to remove some residue bad coding, and later, ask to install 2.1.0, but AFAIK, flashing the BIOS will replace it completely not only parts of it. (enlighten me, please.)

__

@zanzy

One of the last BIOS options are concerning Windows recovery options if the system does not start correctly, maybe if you disable these, they will stop your blinking problem.

__

I have some problems about drivers and usability on Windows in this laptop, where should i ask these questions? I find that you guys could help me, because you have high technical skills, but i don't want to hijack the thread.

Three white and three amber means Dell can't find the recovery partition. IIRC you can change the recovery partition number from the BIOS option. Failing that you'd need to re-image the drive to have the same number of partitions as the original build. I've never done it this way but will read up on it this weekend as I'd like to recreate a similar structure for my new 1TB drive.

Dell occasionally post 'major' BIOS updates to ensure a smooth transition between BIOS versions. There were previous machines that couldn't successfully transition from very old BIOS builds to the latest without going through a series of stepped changes. I suspect the ME module may have a lot to do with this.

Re: Windows, there are a lot of good forums out there... GIYF :)

Hey all. I think I'm going to purchase a XPS 13 just because of how well-maintained this thread is! I'm wondering if the model with i7-7560U is supported? Also, is there work being done for USB-C hot plug? Cheers!
Im also intressed if anyone got his to work with the 7560U and intel iris 640HD. I have read a few thing about it in this thread but did never get any good grip around it. Seem like there is some battery draining issues with it?

since the new apple macbooks does come with a iris 640 GPU wouldn't tht mean it should be supported pretty well?

Im fairly new to hackintoshis , only tried it one before on a intel nuc, this seems a little bit harder than that but Im hoping I can try it out since I moved from my mac to this computer after 8 years (and already tired of ubuntu and windows :p)

Hello
thank you for this thread !!
What about SMBIOS MacBook10,1 ?
Is-it more accurate than the previous one ?
What about the bios 2.0.1 ?
Thank in advance

Is there work being done for USB-C hot plug? Cheers!

I was just looking into this as I'm thinking of buying the LG UltraFine 4K and it seems the guys over in the XPS 15 9550 setup have it working somewhat. Relevant GitHub is https://github.com/dpassmor/XPS-15-9550-Sierra/tree/master/USB-C-Hotplug

The current issues with it are as follows:
"You should know that it's not a complete solution. Hotplug only works twice-- OS X doesn't know how to deal with the USB controller dropping out from under it, and I'm not savvy enough with the USB driver (yet) to figure out how to reset it every time. The hardware actually powers the controller on and off when a device is inserted and unplugged."

-From https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS1...0e88daf488ff4a78e917a8#commitcomment-20740209
EDIT: Did more research and found out someone has gotten hotplugging fully working on the 9560. KNNSpeed on the other, unmentionable hackintosh site figured it out, and then someone else backported it to the 9550. I've included some possibly relevant links below.

1. https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/commit/e3fe74ef6d92bd091d8cd8deb5ab406e662060fa
  2. https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/commit/4411e6cd46a7bc80996e9f3884725a9fe5a49e93
  3. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/usb-c-hotplug-questions.211313/

Last edited:
Thanks alot to @bozma88. Just reporting back that i managed to install it smoothly on my XPS-9360 when not using my NVMe drive. Fresh install 10.12.6.

Just wondering, how's the battery life with those on QHD touch screen? I'm on my FHD touch, but seems that the battery life is only about 5 hours, as opposed to 8+ hours on ubuntu 16.04.

Hey, I noticed that 10.13 could native support nvme which means my original liteon nvme ssd could loading native power management, right?

jkbuha could you post your latest EFI folder?

It's posted a couple of pages back.

Note that the Intel KBL GPU drivers still don't work properly on my QHD screen (5916 or 591b), so the FakeIDs and platform ID are set to SKL (1916).

In fact if anyone here has successfully made the Kaby Lake drivers work on the HD620 with QHD (i.e.: no framebuffer tearing or blank screens on wake) please report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back