Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure AppleHDA is NOT installed.
Make sure the latest version of CloverHDA is installed from bozma88's files in the beginning of this thread.
Run this command (it's technically 2 commands)

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Restart your machine and see if it helps.

Hey,

How did you enable the headphone jack? My XPS13 does see the headphones but I only get static sound when I plug my headphones in. I uploaded my clover folder maybe you guys can find something im doing wrong!

Thanks in advance,

You are not following my guide and my files setup at all.
Please download v8b files, patch your own DSDT and make your Clover folder look exactly as mine, without all the extra drivers, folders, plists, kexts, then we can troubleshoot.

Working clean and lean and conforming to the standard guide is the best way to troubleshoot!

Make sure the latest version of CloverHDA is installed from bozma88's files in the beginning of this thread.

Original AppleHDA can stay where it is.
If you notice, we hotpatch some codecs signatures in Clover plist. This way we have no conflicts and we don't alter the vanilla driver. It's all about upgrade resilience.

I tried and it doesn't work. The sounds works, just headphones don't. @bozma88 I have checked all kext in clover. they are there. I just have nullethernet in addition. I run 10.12.2 not 12.3 - and I cannot upgrade, but this is another issue. I patched DSDT. See attached. I don't have SSDT-ALC256 and SSDT-TB, but all my SSDT-x.aml and SSDT-NVMe

Attachments

• DSDT.dsl
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
@bozma88 in your clover config.plist you are using HDALayoutID:13 is that universal for everyone's 9360? Meaning we don't need to change that?

Layout is dependant on Audio driver you are using. If you use the kext I provide, layout 13 is the right one.

Quick update - booting Clover in Legacy (EFI) mode instead of UEFI does not freeze for charger plug/unplug.

I'll shortly be posting Problem Reporting files for both EFI and UEFI, but for now it looks to be related to Clover, or this BIOS's UEFI implementation.

Your Clover folder does not look like mine at all.
Why all that mess, all these SSDTs and all that clutter?
If we have to troubleshoot, we have to start from a standard configuration.
I don't inject and drop any original SSDT, you have all of them in your patched folder.
Same thing for EFI drivers!
Please start from scratch with my "v8b" files and stay uncluttered.

The Dell truncation bug is a serious problem, and if you look at your ioreg with legacy boot, you will notice the problem is not present.

There is a specific option you must enable for the fix in UEFI... Look at the Clover change logs. Hint: It is the only Clover config.plist setting with 'Dell' in the name.

@RehabMan, I am aware of that, but since my files use MacBook9,1 there's no truncation, so no need to apply the patch.
I am astonished because looking at problem reporting ti seems they are not following my guide at all.

@-everyone-, I spent a month putting up a working configuration, please start from it if you want a stable system, otherwise it's very hard to troubleshoot if you are not diligent.

## PLEASE-USE-MY-FILES ##

IMO at the very least, the 1st update/change you should implement in your guide and files is what @RehabMan suggested about sorting the way SSDTs are loaded.

See above. I'm not dropping nor injecting any original SSDT, no need to reorder. I like essential and uncluttered plists.

Hey existing users! Is sleep working as it supposed to be? No crashes or bugs? It is kinda buggy with my current system and I just ordered a 9360 so just curious!

Sleep working perfectly, no darkwakes, drops 1% every 3 hours. Very reliable.

I would suggest simulating Windows instead of Linux (best way is to use _OSI->XOSI patch and SSDT-XOSI.aml).

Is there a specific reason for that?
I notice that with OS->Windows brightness keys don't work.
Moreover, this laptop ships from Dell also with Ubuntu preinstalled, So I suppose that the Darwin part of ACPI has been written decently, and I thought that setting ACPI to a more POSIX-compliant OS would help. Am I wrong?

Wanted to chime in on my experience installing & using macOS on my XPS 13 QHD w/ i7 & 8GB of RAM.

• Been running for 5 days so far, rock solid stability.
  • Sound takes a while to come back after closing and opening lid.
  • Noticing increased coil whine compared to Windows. Was thinking it could be the Toshiba SSD as pointed out by @bozma88, but haven't narrowed it down yet. Loud enough to be heard even with background noise/conversations.
  • Mounted USB drives are showing up as internal, which means tools like Boot Camp don't detect it in order to make a bootable Windows install disk.
  • NullEthernet + iPhone USB tethering works for internet, allowing iMessage/App Store/iTunes setup.
  • No charging freeze. Patched my own DSDT, DVMT set to 96MB, and latest BIOS (1.3.2).

Will patch USB correctly soon!

You probably have incorrect USB configuration. Follow RehabMan's 10.11+ USB guide if the guide doesn't already provide you with the correct configuration.

Will patch USB correctly soon!

My XPS QHD Touch w/ i5 & 8Gb

Is also rock solid after some initial driver conflicts (caused by me)
Charging, unplugging and plugging is no problem.
I patched my DVMT to 96MB (0x3)
USB-C doesn't work quite right but, from what I hear nobodies can hot plug/swap
I did not patch my own DSDT, I know, I know. I'm slacking. (I'll redo it soon)
I upgrading my SDD to a 1TB Crucial MX300. (Almost no coil whine compared to the stock 128GB SanDisk X400)

Yep, repatch it asap!

Changed mine to 96mb since it was recommended on other laptops. Use 0x3. Everything is working good or as best as it can, but does not resolve the power plugging freeze.

Are you sure you have followed my guide and you have an uncluttered ACPI folder? Please double check you followed thoroughly the provided config.

I dont have any freezing issues and I have QHD screen. The laptop came with bios 1.3.2 and I downgraded to 1.2.3 per your guide.

No need to downgrade BIOS, I work with 1.3.2 since mid-feb with no issues.

I tried and it doesn't work. The sounds works, just headphones don't. @bozma88 I have checked all kext in clover. they are there. I just have nullethernet in addition. I run 10.12.2 not 12.3 - and I cannot upgrade, but this is another issue. I patched DSDT. See attached. I don't have SSDT-ALC256 and SSDT-TB, but all my SSDT-x.aml and SSDT-NVMe

Why do you have SSDT-x? My guide does not contain them nor it tells you to put them there.
And why you don't have SSDT-ALC256? It is needed for headphones to work.

TO EVERYONE:

I realised I had not been very clear about this step: DO NOT inject your original SSDTs! We don't drop original ones, so you don't have to inject them again. I have updated the guide to make it clearer, and updated my v8 files to v8b, where I removed my own patched DSDT.aml so to force all of you to patch your own DSDT (thanks @RehabMan for your opinion).

Please, keep your EFI folder uncluttered and don't inject anything that you don't see in my files.

Making a stable system means starting from the very least files, keeping injections at minimum and troubleshooting one step at a time by strictly following my guide.

I spent a huge amount of time making this laptop stable
, and it's been two months I've been using it for work without any issue.
Follow my guide to the letter, then you can start ironing out the minor issues left.
Before that, try to conform 100% to my files, without any other file that you don't see in my guide.

Save patched DSDT.aml. Remember to keep original and edited DSDT.dsl in case you need to apply/revert some patches.
Put your patched DSDT.aml, and all the SSDT*.aml you find in my files archive, in CLOVER/ACPI/patched dir.
All these .aml files will be automatically loaded.
Do not copy your SSDT origin table to /patched folder! We don't drop original SSDTs, so you don't need to inject them again. Problems would arise.

RULE OF THUMB: If you are not sure whether a file is needed, don't put it there.

Last edited:
No need to downgrade BIOS, I work with 1.3.2 since mid-feb with no issues.
So, shall I upgrade now to 1.3.2? What would be the benefits over 1.2.3? In regards to patching the DVMT to 96mb, if I re-patch do I have to install everything from scratch?

Why do you have SSDT-x? My guide does not contain them nor it tells you to put them there.
And why you don't have SSDT-ALC256? It is needed for headphones to work.

Thanks!!!! Clear. I removed the SSDT-x. I put the SSDT-ALC256 and SSDT-TB (What is this for) and voila, headphones started to work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back