Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some research on possible "country-dependent" XPS 13 9360-versions. It's true that some XPS 13 models are listet with LPDDR4 memory in the Italian Dell store (some rows below there is a LPDDR3 Slot listeto_O), but there is no other Dell Store that offers such XPS 13 models(Austria, German, UK and USA stores). Also the Italian Store removed the I7-7560 & HD 640 model. (-> I don't think it really ships wit LPDDR4 memory)
The only option non USA stores don't offer is a keyboard with fingerprint reader.
Some Stores may offer more or less different versions (only OS, RAM, CPU, LCD dependent)

I did some research on possible "country-dependent" XPS 13 9360-versions. It's true that some XPS 13 models are listet with LPDDR4 memory in the Italian Dell store (some rows below there is a LPDDR3 Slot listeto_O), but there is no other Dell Store that offers such XPS 13 models(Austria, German, UK and USA stores). Also the Italian Store removed the I7-7560 & HD 640 model. (-> I don't think it really ships wit LPDDR4 memory)
The only option non USA stores don't offer is a keyboard with fingerprint reader.
Some Stores may offer more or less different versions (only OS, RAM, CPU, LCD dependent)

Interesting.
I think it's a leak, the Italian store got it wrong and published the update before time.
Expect them to be released shortly.
The best that may happen is a 7600U equipped version, much much faster than the current 7500U i7.

You should try the anti-pop patches for AppleHDA (refer to config.plist files from my NUC repo).
It might use extra power, but no pop...

Thank you, already considered that but not willing to waste energy by leaving the amps always-on.

From your description, I guess you are confusng AppleHDA patcher with CloverHDA which is primerily for desktop. If you really want ’native’ then you should install patched AppleHDA to S/L/E and have to re-install it everytime you upgrade your OS.

If you look at insanelydeepack's clover HDA repo you'll see that there's a special kext and plist especially tailored for dell's alc 3246 (rebranded alc 256).
It's the onl way I found to date to have a working jack and jacksense.

Small but interesting news:

1) TDP limit: it seems that with less than 20% battery, the system puts a 15W hard-limit to CPU power consumption. In normal conditions, it goes up to 25W for burst loads (Intel calls that "TDP-up").
This seems to happen also with the PSU attached. Interesting, but I have yet to investigate.

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 16.07.19.png

2) USB-C 3.1 works but has to be plugged-in before boot, as currently MacOS is not able to handle controller hot-plugging. Dell disables the USB-C/Thunderbolt chipset when no connector is present, I think it's an extreme measure to save power (kudos to them). More info here, although the thread seems dead: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/usb-c-hotplug-questions.211313

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 16.11.45.png

Will update the guide soon.

Problem report, I have been trying to use facetime recently, the camera often goes off, the only solution to solve this for now is to restart the laptop. Any ideas on this??
And I discovered that if you combine the Sizeup app and keyboard shortcut in system preferences, you can actually enable some trackpad multi-touch gestures for mission controls( for example, move to next desktop)

Problem report, I have been trying to use facetime recently, the camera often goes off, the only solution to solve this for now is to restart the laptop. Any ideas on this??

And I discovered that if you combine the Sizeup app and keyboard shortcut in system preferences, you can actually enable some trackpad multi-touch gestures for mission controls( for example, move to next desktop)

Camera: no idea unfortunately. Will check if I encounter the same issue.

Sizeup: it's already written in the guide, then it's up to you to configure it as you desire.

Just got my machine in today and swapped wi-fi chips. My chip was E-keyed so I had to cut it. Works! Now I am trying to do the DVMT part using this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...etting-dvmt-in-insydeh20-bios-laptops.165104/

however I can't find the ROM file that starts with FE3542FE.. it's just not there. Got my BIOS 1.2.3 ROM using Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit.. any suggestions @bozma88?
Do not follow the guide to the letter.
The correct ROM file for this bios is named differently.
Try all of them starting from the biggest, stop once you find one you can decompile and that contains the setup variables (iirc it's 10-100KB).

Small but interesting news:
2) USB-C 3.1 works but has to be plugged-in before boot, as currently MacOS is not able to handle controller hot-plugging. Dell disables the USB-C/Thunderbolt chipset when no connector is present, I think it's an extreme measure to save power (kudos to them). More info here, although the thread seems dead: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/usb-c-hotplug-questions.211313

I just haven't had time to work on it; I've been focusing on fixing the Dell SMBIOS model identifier limit (a fix is coming out in the next release of Clover) and getting proper power management on my XPS 15 9550. I finally have X86PlatformPlugin loading with a MacBookPro13,3 model identifier and vanilla frequency vectors; not only is the OS doing GPU power management, but it dynamically modifies the HWP request register according to load and whether the laptop is on battery or not! It's pretty cool. I'll post the info here if folks are interested.

Getting USB-C working 100% is next on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back