Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, would that be the one in EFI-BASIC-INSTALL? I have tried patching the kext with Rehab's tools, and I feel like I have read through every thread on this subject. I know that it all should work because I see people successfully patching, it's just my lack of expertise that is keeping me from doing things right..

Exactly that package.
Sierra installer doesn't like patched kext, you have to rely on clover hotpatching.
Try, try, try harder, everyone started like you and you'll make it :)

Exactly that package.
Sierra installer doesn't like patched kext, you have to rely on clover hotpatching.
Try, try, try harder, everyone started like you and you'll make it :)

Cheers, I do appreciate the guidance :)
I am now using basic-install package, still no success..

Check bios sata settings, check that the ssd is toshiba. Are you able to reach the installer gui?

Check bios sata settings, check that the ssd is toshiba. Are you able to reach the installer gui?

SATA is set to AHCI, M.2 SATA says none, M.2 PCIe SSD-0 says TW0XVRV7LOH006BN00K7. Installer GUI works and looks normal!

EDIT: drives window is also empty

EDIT 2: did some digging in the dell system assessment, says TW0XVRV7LOH006BN00K7 = LiteOn, any suggestions on how to proceed?

EDIT 3: Solved it adding this piece of code in config.plist http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...g-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready/?p=2356416

Last edited:
Looking for a daily driver laptop for college (computer science major). Would you say that hackintoshing a dell xps is worth the effort and potential instabilities & maintenance if I intend to run mainly MacOS? Or is it better to just get a Macbook?

Looking for a daily driver laptop for college (computer science major). Would you say that hackintoshing a dell xps is worth the effort and potential instabilities & maintenance if I intend to run mainly MacOS? Or is it better to just get a Macbook?
First hackintosh OR you're not a programmer = no daily driver
If you are studiying computers it's feasible, but if you want/need peace of mind to meet strict deadlines my advice is to get, at least, a secondary machine as emergency backup

@bozma88

External (BNUM, UnknownObj) // (from opcode)
External (IDMN, UnknownObj) // (from opcode)
External (IDPC, UnknownObj) // (from opcode)
External (DPLN, UnknownObj) // (from opcode)

My DSDT says DLPN, no search results for DPLN, is this a typo and should I comment out DLPN?

@bozma88

External (BNUM, UnknownObj) // (from opcode)
External (IDMN, UnknownObj) // (from opcode)
External (IDPC, UnknownObj) // (from opcode)
External (DPLN, UnknownObj) // (from opcode)

My DSDT says DLPN, no search results for DPLN, is this a typo and should I comment out DLPN?
Typo, thank you

I just haven't had time to work on it; I've been focusing on fixing the Dell SMBIOS model identifier limit (a fix is coming out in the next release of Clover) and getting proper power management on my XPS 15 9550. I finally have X86PlatformPlugin loading with a MacBookPro13,3 model identifier and vanilla frequency vectors; not only is the OS doing GPU power management, but it dynamically modifies the HWP request register according to load and whether the laptop is on battery or not! It's pretty cool. I'll post the info here if folks are interested.

Getting USB-C working 100% is next on my list.

AFAIK someone already managed to make USB-C hotplug work. Search on Google.

And Yes, please, we are looking forward to your contributions on hwp, share what you learn and we'll do the same :)

For example, a topic of interest could be GUC microcode upload, although on 9360 it may not be possible because Apple machines are all Iris Graphics (thus no Apple GUC available for Hd 520 / HD 620): https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/01/14/does-apple-load-microcode-for-the-igpu/

This could lead to further battery savings. Let me know what do you all think.

@bozma88 I completed installation last night and followed your guide with ACPI patching, however can't boot without USB, i get this KP. Sorry for the poor quality, KP disappears after ~2secs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 136
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back