Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, I got that working just fine, along with everything else in your guide but for some reason my wifi card will not work once I boot into OSX. When I boot from the USB and I'm at the installer screen the wifi works fine, the icon is there and I see my home SSID...but once I actually boot it doesn't work. I have a friend with the same machine & ssd who is here doing this with me also and his works fine, but mine does not. Do you have any idea why this may be? I checked the config.plist to make sure the string was being replaced so it will work in 10.12 and its all there. Pretty stumped.

EDIT: The command 'sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /' seemed to the trick for me.

Last edited:
Great, I got that working just fine, along with everything else in your guide but for some reason my wifi card will not work once I boot into OSX. When I boot from the USB and I'm at the installer screen the wifi works fine, the icon is there and I see my home SSID...but once I actually boot it doesn't work. I have a friend with the same machine & ssd who is here doing this with me also and his works fine, but mine does not. Do you have any idea why this may be? I checked the config.plist to make sure the string was being replaced so it will work in 10.12 and its all there. Pretty stumped.
Clear caches and boot with -f flag

I have everything up and running thanks to this guide and zTechnique. Have you found any better options for the trackpad? In its current state, it's almost unusable unfortunately. We all know that the trackpad on the XPS 13 line-up isn't the greatest of quality already, but the jumpiness forces users to stick with a wireless mouse instead.

I have everything up and running thanks to this guide and zTechnique. Have you found any better options for the trackpad? In its current state, it's almost unusable unfortunately. We all know that the trackpad on the XPS 13 line-up isn't the greatest of quality already, but the jumpiness forces users to stick with a wireless mouse instead.

Very happy that this guide is proving easy to follow and, above all, everyone is getting the same good results.
I'm testing different solutions for the trackpad but won't update the guide until I've validated them in terms of reliability.

I had assumed that you verified BIOS was actually setting it (eg. via Linux or something).

Quick update: the SpeedShift BIOS flag works!

This shows SST enabled on a mint Windows 10 installation that never connected to the internet to download proprietary drivers.
A (very) good first step.

SST.PNG

Guide updated with Retina scaled resolutions, Eject menu removal and swapped debug kexts with release ones to avoid verbose logging.

Looks fantastic! Looking to build this soon. Would this guide also work for the 9360 QHD version?

Looks fantastic! Looking to build this soon. Would this guide also work for the 9360 QHD version?

Should be almost identical.
If you still have to pull the trigger, think twice before going UHD, especially if the i7+FHD variant is sold in your country.

Should be almost identical.
If you still have to pull the trigger, think twice before going UHD, especially if the i7+FHD variant is sold in your country.

How so?

Much less battery life and it's almost unnecessary on a 13 inch screen.
Glossy screen vs matte and unnecessary touch that doesn't work well in MacOS.
Plus major chances of getting coil whine on everyday workloads.
I'd say: go with UHD if you plan to use with Windows, FHD for MacOS.
My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back