Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but what is controlling PM, then? HWP?
Why is HWP enabled? This is a fresh install where I never used any HWP enabling method.
I did use the Clover HWP flag in a prior test install. Does it set a permanent flag in a CPU register?
I'm quite intrigued.

Hardware controlled PM is enabled with HWP (Speed Shift). I didn't know it would affect the IGPU though (thought it was just CPU)... but I haven't really read about it yet.

Hardware controlled PM is enabled with HWP (Speed Shift). I didn't know it would affect the IGPU though (thought it was just CPU)... but I haven't really read about it yet.

Yes, but where did I enable Speedshift?
What's the sense of Clover flag or HWPEnabler (and why everyone is talking about them) if Speedshift is enabled by default?

BTW, in my opinion, in Kaby Lake Speedshift starts to become preferable, because of the ultra-short frequency rise time compared to OS-driven P-states. Kaby Lake halves the already short frequency rise time of SKL Speedshift.

Yes, but where did I enable Speedshift?
What's the sense of Clover flag or HWPEnabler (and why everyone is talking about them) if Speedshift is enabled by default?

There is a Clover option for HWP... and a kext... I haven't looked into it in detail.
If you didn't use it (I didn't check), then the effects you're seeing are just PM in the kernel (XCPM).

BTW, in my opinion, in Kaby Lake Speedshift starts to become preferable, because of the ultra-short frequency rise time compared to OS-driven P-states. Kaby Lake halves the already short frequency rise time of SKL Speedshift.

And I suppose it is possible Apple will start using it at some point...

Not likely. Maybe AppleIntelInfo.kext outputs Speed Shift status?
If you tell me where/how to look, I will look and report.
What I am seeing is a very snappy system and correct reporting in IPG.
The system is able to go TDP-up for 10 seconds (25W) and then settles at 15W full load.

If you want to dive deeper I can help.

In my AppleIntelInfo dump I see this:

Code:
IA32_TSC_DEADLINE................(0x6E0) : 0x4357780B5C
(HWP Supported but not (yet) enabled)

__
~ I'm reading Pike's post with attention, will report back.

Last edited:
I completely disabled SpeedStep and TurboBoost in BIOS.
The system seems even more aggressive in frequencies rise-fall.
(?!)

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 16.44.38.png

This is the diff of AppleIntelInfo dumps with SpeedStep disabled | enabled in BIOS: https://www.diffchecker.com/Xh6Qb062

If you tell me where/how to look, I will look and report.
What I am seeing is a very snappy system and correct reporting in IPG.
The system is able to go TDP-up for 10 seconds (25W) and then settles at 15W full load.

If you want to dive deeper I can help.

In my AppleIntelInfo dump I see this:

Code:
IA32_TSC_DEADLINE................(0x6E0) : 0x4357780B5C
(HWP Supported but not (yet) enabled)

__
~ I'm reading Pike's post with attention, will report back.

I have no time to look into it now (eventually, I'll look into it on my Skylake NUC).
You can probably find information in Intel CPU data sheets that will tell you which MSR is tweaked (not to mention Clover and HWPEnabler source code).
From there you should be able to determine if/where AppleIntelInfo.kext is reporting this information.

I have no time to look into it now (eventually, I'll look into it on my Skylake NUC).
You can probably find information in Intel CPU data sheets that will tell you which MSR is tweaked (not to mention Clover and HWPEnabler source code).
From there you should be able to determine if/where AppleIntelInfo.kext is reporting this information.

Done.
The MSR responsible for toggling HWP is IA32_PM_ENABLE, and on my system is not enabled (0), as AppleIntelInfo dump reports.
So, what's driving the power management I am seeing, even with SpeedStep and TurboBoost disabled in BIOS and no custom SSDTs?

So, what's driving the power management I am seeing, even with SpeedStep and TurboBoost disabled in BIOS and no custom SSDTs?

XCPM in the kernel, and perhaps ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back