Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just one minor gripe with the hot-patching config I'm currently using.
The PBTN stopped working.

Before, with the config in post #1, every time I pushed the PBTN briefly, the power dialog appeared. If I pushed it long enough, the laptop went to sleep.
Now, with the hot-patching, it works inconsistently: 99% of the times (times=boots), it simply does not work. 1% of the times, it works. It still wakes the laptop from sleep, but does not perform any action when the OS is running.

I think it's an IRQ conflict issue, but I don't know how to debug. I've already implemented all the IRQ Clover fixes (HPET, IPIC, TMR), but it still does not work.

So, I captured ad IOReg when, once, it worked as supposed.
After resume from sleep, it reverted back to the usual non-working condition, and I recaptured another IOReg.

I attach here a full Problem Reporting archive (with double IOReg, before-after).
Worth to mention that from the Problem Reporting it will emerge that I'm not using any OS-driven CPU power management.
As you all know, it's a deliberate choice, so I won't repeat myself again and again.
PM was already unimplemented in the previous non-hot-patching config, where PBTN was perfectly working, so that's not the cause.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated.

###

As a side note, I'm going to switch to a Samsung 850 Evo SATA 500GB M.2 SSD, so I have to get rid of my 256GB Toshiba GPUK drive. Anyone interested? It's 4K-compatible and already 4K formatted. PM me.

Does Samsung 850 Evo SATA have problems with power consumption?

Worth to mention that from the Problem Reporting it will emerge that I'm not using any OS-driven CPU power management.
As you all know, it's a deliberate choice, so I won't repeat myself again and again.

FYI... you're making a big mistake by not implementing power management.
You should at least add SSDT-PluginType1.aml.
Use MacBookPro6,2 or MacBookPro11,1 to avoid HWP if that's what you're concerned with.

@RehabMan - do you have any suggestion for the issue I am facing. I am able to boot with usb but not with ssd. post 992 has the information.

@RehabMan - here are the problem reporting files. I attached the clover folder from both ssd and usb. The issue is that I am not able to boot with ssd. my earlier post has the screenshots.

One more thing, in HW monitor, I only see the battery and no other hardware.

Attachments

• johnyg07-xps13-v2.zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 227
Last edited:
here are the problem reporting files. I attached the clover folder from both ssd and usb. The issue is that I am not able to boot with ssd. my earlier post has the screenshots.

Maybe the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_5.kext you have installed to the system volume is not generated with --spoof.
Your whole kext installation/configuration is a mess/confusing.
Only "essential" kexts should be in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other.
And *all* "kexts you need" should be installed to the system volume.

Also, your patchmatic output does not disassemble without errors (due to duplicate symbols).
Try with iasl -da -dl *.aml
You will get:
Code:
ACPI Error: [_SB_.PCI0.RP09.PXSX._DSM] Namespace lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20170702/dswload-498)
ACPI Exception: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20170702/psobject-371)
Could not parse external ACPI tables, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS

I think it is due to the obvious conflict between SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml and SSDT-NMVE.aml.

When you have conflicting SSDTs there can be issues, and I suspect the SSDTs are not loading in the same order from USB vs. SSD (load order is not easily predicted, so you need to make sure your SSDTs have no load order dependencies).

But you should not have duplicate symbols in the SSDTs in the first place...

Last edited:
I think it is due to the obvious conflict between SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml and SSDT-NMVE.aml.

I removed the SSDT-NMVE.aml and I was able to boot fine with SSD. Thank you for pointing out this out. I will move the non-essential kexts to /s/l/e.
Then will implement the power management.

I removed the SSDT-NMVE.aml and I was able to boot fine with SSD. Thank you for pointing out this out. I will move the non-essential kexts to /s/l/e.
Then will implement the power management.

Note also that the Dell SMBIOS truncation problem is obvious in your ioreg (it shows 'MacBookPro1').
You need config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/DellSMBIOSPatch=true
I don't think your config.plist/SMBIOS is correct at all... it is specifying some MacBook9,1 data (BiosVersion, Family, etc) but it never specifies the model MacBook9,1...assuming that's what you intended. As a result, you're getting Clover autodetect instead.
If you are planning to use an HWP enabled SMBIOS, you will likely need the xcpm_idle patch (due to locked CPU MSR 0xE2).
CPU PM is easy by adding SSDT-PluginType1.aml.

I don't think your config.plist/SMBIOS is correct at all... it is specifying some MacBook9,1 data (BiosVersion, Family, etc) but it never specifies the model MacBook9,1...assuming that's what you intended. As a result, you're getting Clover autodetect instead.

I am using the config.plist from bozma88's beta setup files. I did not any changes to that. Where does it show 'MacBookPro1'?
Since new macbook pro with I7 7567 cpu may be a close match with I7 7560 of my laptop, it is advisable to use the smbios from that model? I am just curious.
I will add the dellSMBIOSPatch.

Also the Battery is getting consumed at a faster rate than expected. It shows low battery warning when battery percentage hit 69-70%. Also the current charge level is 64% but the icon color is red in the menu bar. will the power management resolve that?
also the hardware monitor is only showing battery percentage, and no other sensor data.

Where does it show 'MacBookPro1'?

Look at the top level node in ioreg.

Since new macbook pro with I7 7567 cpu may be a close match with I7 7560 of my laptop, it is advisable to use the smbios from that model? I am just curious.

MacBookPro13,1 will enable HWP.

Also the Battery is getting consumed at a faster rate than expected. It shows low battery warning when battery percentage hit 69-70%. Also the current charge level is 64% but the icon color is red in the menu bar. will the power management resolve that?
also the hardware monitor is only showing battery percentage, and no other sensor data.

I would need to see ioreg captured in that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back