Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, it's been a while since I've been on the forum, but I wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who made the Dell XPS 13 into a fantastic hackintosh. Without the efforts of TheDarkVoid, jkbuha, RehabMan, and countless others, I'd have sprung for an underpowered MacBook a long time ago. Does anyone have a Patreon or PayPal? If so please PM me, I'd love to buy you all a cup of coffee for your troubles.

I've now moved over to thedarkvoid's files and 10.13.6 (a slightly older version of thedarkvoid's files compatible with BIOS 2.6).

Everything works fine apart from the external display through USB-C/DP adaptor, which I had working well with 10.12 once I had added FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.

The laptop seems to recognise that another display has been plugged in (screen flashed briefly), but no image appears. Anyone have any similar experiences or ideas?

Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Thanks Rehabman

>>Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.

I'm afraid this is simply because I'm an idiot, and didn't generate the file correctly. Please find attached the corrected output
Thanks again.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 85
  • ioregcopy.zip
    628.3 KB · Views: 70
  • kextcache.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 87
  • RehabMan.zip
    59.2 KB · Views: 88
Thanks Rehabman

>>Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.

I'm afraid this is simply because I'm an idiot, and didn't generate the file correctly. Please find attached the corrected output
Thanks again.
FakeSMC.kext is missing from /Library/Extensions

ALL kexts needs to be installed /Library/Extensions

Hey folks managed to finally find my DVMT settings.

Lots of outdated/confusing information around but found something that worked.

(for Bios 2.9) modified from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...etting-dvmt-in-insydeh20-bios-laptops.165104/

1. Backup bios with Universal Bios Toolkit.

2. Run through Phoenix Tools 2.66 (not 2.5.6). When opening the bios file Phoenix, for some strange reason seems to pre-dump 1000s of files in /DUMP but you can just ignore this.

3. Find DXE CORE and dump

3. Run Universal IFR extractor, search the /DUMP folder and ignore the /BIOS folder. If you order by size and ignore the first two "PADDINGxxxx" files, the third file from the top is "899407D7-99FE-43D8-9A21-79EC328CAC21_387.ROM" and that is the file you'll need to extract.

4. Run through a txt editor, search for "DVMT" and you'll have your variables written in there.

I will note that the variables are exactly the same as written on the first page of this document and as written in Darkvoids guide.. Of interest though is that my IFR dump doesn't include pre-alloc settings for 128mb (0x04) or 192mb (0x06), the maximum is 64mb (0x02).

On another note, DVMT patched, CFG Lock Disabled, but I still can't get beyond the Apple logo. Can anyone make sense of the attached pic, looks like some kind of error...

Attachments

• WeChat Image_20180908153914.jpg
    WeChat Image_20180908153914.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 99
Of interest though is that my IFR dump doesn't include pre-alloc settings for 128mb (0x04) or 192mb (0x06), the maximum is 64mb (0x02).
They removed it from the description, but it still should work as intended

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been on the forum, but I wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who made the Dell XPS 13 into a fantastic hackintosh. Without the efforts of TheDarkVoid, jkbuha, RehabMan, and countless others, I'd have sprung for an underpowered MacBook a long time ago. Does anyone have a Patreon or PayPal? If so please PM me, I'd love to buy you all a cup of coffee for your troubles.

Thanks for the rep. Speaking personally I'm just in this for the downtime, happy to hear you've found the contributions of some value.

Run through Phoenix Tools 2.66 (not 2.5.6)

Correct. 2.7.3 works even better...
As @nos1609 said, 0x04 exists and works but is not in the description... I guess Dell didn't envisage these to be real-world settings, insofar as the need to run an OS which needed a larger pre-alloc on a 4K screen...

Hey folks managed to finally find my DVMT settings.

On another note, DVMT patched, CFG Lock Disabled, but I still can't get beyond the Apple logo. Can anyone make sense of the attached pic, looks like some kind of error...

Without the standard problem reporting files it's hard to decipher, but it looks like your framebuffer hasn't been properly patched. I suspect it's to do with the CoreGraphicsFixup kext...

In other news, currently testing Bios 2.9.0 which still allows correct setup_var patching. The main contributions in this bios are new ME versions, which frankly is a PITA. Sadly we can't disable ME yet (or reliably flash a modded BIOS), not until someone shows me how to soft-flash the full 32MB winbond chip or at least SPI-flash a WSON chip...

Thanks for the rep. Speaking personally I'm just in this for the downtime, happy to hear you've found the contributions of some value.

Correct. 2.7.3 works even better...
As @nos1609 said, 0x04 exists and works but is not in the description... I guess Dell didn't envisage these to be real-world settings, insofar as the need to run an OS which needed a larger pre-alloc on a 4K screen...

Without the standard problem reporting files it's hard to decipher, but it looks like your framebuffer hasn't been properly patched. I suspect it's to do with the CoreGraphicsFixup kext...

In other news, currently testing Bios 2.9.0 which still allows correct setup_var patching. The main contributions in this bios are new ME versions, which frankly is a PITA. Sadly we can't disable ME yet (or reliably flash a modded BIOS), not until someone shows me how to soft-flash the full 32MB winbond chip or at least SPI-flash a WSON chip...

Apologies for not including proper reporting, please find attached the efi/clover zip and a photo of the verbose output.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 82
  • clover.jpg
    clover.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 92
Apologies for not including proper reporting, please find attached the efi/clover zip and a photo of the verbose output.

KP likely due to inadequate DMVT-prealloc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back