Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360 / Clover
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
Intel HD620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I made a backup from IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext used the freqVectorsEdit.sh to create a patched one for my CPU, edited, the Plist to my processor values. And then injected the Patched Kext via Clover. I've also found the solution for the 1.3 GHz problem, the freqVectorsEdit.sh just modify the first frequency vector in the .plist file, I manually modified the second vector and now the Intel Power Gadget shows the correct frequency down to 0.5 GHz...

Would you be able to share your Mac-B4831CEBD52A0C4C.plist? After trying everything else (re-paste, thermal pads, undervolt) this is the last item available to help improve battery/heat on the i7-8550u. Thanks so much.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360R QHD+ Touch
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
HD620
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Would you be able to share your Mac-B4831CEBD52A0C4C.plist? After trying everything else (re-paste, thermal pads, undervolt) this is the last item available to help improve battery/heat on the i7-8550u. Thanks so much.

Sure, do you have changes your SSD to a SATA M2 SDD ?

Attachments

• Mac-B4831CEBD52A0C4C.plist
    24.1 KB · Views: 229
Motherboard
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
Intel HD620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Sure, do you have changes your SSD to a SATA M2 SDD ?

That is actually the next change I'm looking into. I removed the thermal pads since they were just making the bottom uncomfortable and actually stopping the fan entirely in windows. Also tried a crucial mx500 sata already, but the coil whine from the soldered LED was maddening (how does an SSD make thrashing noises) :) Any suggestions on sata drives? Looking at 860 EVO now.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 13 9360/(Clover v.4411)
CPU
Intel Skylake i7-7500U 2.70GHz (Kaby Lake)
Graphics
Intel Iris 620 3200 x 1800
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
That is actually the next change I'm looking into. I removed the thermal pads since they were just making the bottom uncomfortable and actually stopping the fan entirely in windows. Also tried a crucial mx500 sata already, but the coil whine from the soldered LED was maddening (how does an SSD make thrashing noises) :) Any suggestions on sata drives? Looking at 860 EVO now.
I have the SATA 860 EVO and have no noise. Great drive. I would highly recommend it.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
Intel HD620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have the SATA 860 EVO and have no noise. Great drive. I would highly recommend it.

Glad to hear that since the 860 EVO 1TB is on the way for delivery tomorrow :)

Quick question for the broader audience, what is your average idle wattage with NVME/sata drives? I am seeing ~9w according to coconut w/ i7-8550u, QHD+, 16GB, Toshiba NVME. This is after the plist above (thanks @Thantor) and undervolt (-100 -50 -100) using voltageshift.

Thanks as always for the info, and HUGE thanks to everyone for this guide.

Motherboard
Xps 13 9360 (Clover)
CPU
i7-7660U
Graphics
intel Iris 620, 3200 x 1800
Glad to hear that since the 860 EVO 1TB is on the way for delivery tomorrow :)

Quick question for the broader audience, what is your average idle wattage with NVME/sata drives? I am seeing ~9w according to coconut w/ i7-8550u, QHD+, 16GB, Toshiba NVME. This is after the plist above (thanks @Thantor) and undervolt (-100 -50 -100) using voltageshift.

Thanks as always for the info, and HUGE thanks to everyone for this guide.

Hey,

1. Is there a forum for voltageshift? I seens to not work for me the commands go through but nothing is happening (followed and did voltageshift pre-requisites).
2. that did you do with the plist file and how did it help you?

M

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
Intel HD620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey,

1. Is there a forum for voltageshift? I seens to not work for me the commands go through but nothing is happening (followed and did voltageshift pre-requisites).
2. that did you do with the plist file and how did it help you?

M

For voltageshift, the instructions on the github page were pretty complete. Biggest item to keep in mind is you need to `sudo chown -R root:wheel VoltageShift.kext/` prior to running the actual `./voltageshift` commands.
https://github.com/sicreative/VoltageShift

For the plist file, after some more extensive testing, I did find (as others have suggested) that the actual wattages used were not improved, and were in some cases actually made worse. I've stopped using the plist file, but am still using the undervolt along with the sata SSD for an idle wattage as low as 7.2W with minimal software installed. With a more standard install set (VPN, browsers running, text editors, slack, etc) I am seeing an idle of ~9w which is definitely acceptable for the amount of travel I do.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9360R QHD+ Touch
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
HD620
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For the plist file, after some more extensive testing, I did find (as others have suggested) that the actual wattages used were not improved, and were in some cases actually made worse. I've stopped using the plist file, but am still using the undervolt along with the sata SSD for an idle wattage as low as 7.2W with minimal software installed. With a more standard install set (VPN, browsers running, text editors, slack, etc) I am seeing an idle of ~9w which is definitely acceptable for the amount of travel I do.

Did you fixed the permissions for the modified kext and enabled the loading of unsigned kexts ?

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
Intel HD620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Did you fixed the permissions for the modified kext and enabled the loading of unsigned kexts ?

I did. I was seeing frequencies as low as 650MHz with the kext loaded, but the idle wattage was still ~1.8W with no software loaded. With the kext removed, I was seeing as low as 1.6W for package, hence no longer using it.

Motherboard
Xps 13 9360 (Clover)
CPU
i7-7660U
Graphics
intel Iris 620, 3200 x 1800
Hi all,

I decided to replace my SSD on my working setup.

I have taken the same USB used to install last time (2 months ago) and replaced the Toshiba 512GB with 1TB P951 Samsung from my other hackintosh (9550 i7 GTX960).

The install hangs for hours, the bar is progressing till the end but nothing happans.

I amm attaching a picture and CLOVER (same as attached before)

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Attachments

• unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 180
  • EFI.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 167