Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

i'm encountering strange issues after updating my 9360 to latest bios (2.7.1) and 10.13.5, not sure if there is a hardware fault or my configuration is somehow messed up (slightly altered from this and other guides, using VoodooI2C etc.):

When i boot (whether auto login is enabled or not, ac plugged in or not) into OS X, once LoginWindow is loaded and ready to go (e.g. at login screen) the laptop just goes to sleep immediately after boot. i've also noticed i can't wake it up by opening the lid and brightness buttons are not working correctly recently (they've been working fine previously). once i wake it up from that initial sleep, it works "fine" again and won't behave strangely anymore (safe for the same no lid wakeup, no brightness buttons mentioned earlier).

pmset -g log indicates that the system receives a lid closed event on boot, which i don't understand at all. i've tried using DSDT with and without any lid patches. made no changes to my ssdts, maybe there's a problem there?

not putting any DSDT in patched/ results in the system not going to sleep after boot (no Clamshell Sleep event either), however the system also doesn't sleep at all, so presumably the DeepIdle patch won't work without a patched DSDT? not sure at this point, i'm pretty much going trial and error, obviously i am no ACPI expert.

also a note: this does not happen on windows.

yes i have re-extracted and patched DSDT after the BIOS updates, no changes however

shamelessly linking the (completely dead) thread i posted my diagnostic info on: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...id-standby-issue-on-previously-working-setup/

also attached are a system.log from an affected boot and the corresponding pmset -g log from the boot.

Attachments

• logs.zip
    52.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Hey everyone,

i'm encountering strange issues after updating my 9360 to latest bios (2.7.1) and 10.13.5, not sure if there is a hardware fault or my configuration is somehow messed up (slightly altered from this and other guides, using VoodooI2C etc.):

When i boot (whether auto login is enabled or not, ac plugged in or not) into OS X, once LoginWindow is loaded and ready to go (e.g. at login screen) the laptop just goes to sleep immediately after boot. i've also noticed i can't wake it up by opening the lid and brightness buttons are not working correctly recently (they've been working fine previously). once i wake it up from that initial sleep, it works "fine" again and won't behave strangely anymore (safe for the same no lid wakeup, no brightness buttons mentioned earlier).

pmset -g log indicates that the system receives a lid closed event on boot, which i don't understand at all. i've tried using DSDT with and without any lid patches. made no changes to my ssdts, maybe there's a problem there?

not putting any DSDT in patched/ results in the system not going to sleep after boot (no Clamshell Sleep event either), however the system also doesn't sleep at all, so presumably the DeepIdle patch won't work without a patched DSDT? not sure at this point, i'm pretty much going trial and error, obviously i am no ACPI expert.

also a note: this does not happen on windows.

yes i have re-extracted and patched DSDT after the BIOS updates, no changes however

shamelessly linking the (completely dead) thread i posted my diagnostic info on: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...id-standby-issue-on-previously-working-setup/

also attached are a system.log from an affected boot and the corresponding pmset -g log from the boot.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Sure, sorry about that; i used the shell script.

Why are you using such a mix of ACPI hotpatch and ACPI static patch?
Best to pick one method (hotpatch or static patch) and stick with it.

Also...
Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Can anyone confirm if closing / opening the lid is making their XPS 9360 sleep / wake as expected?
I'm not seeing this on 10.13.5 with BIOS 2.8.2 2.8.1

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm if closing / opening the lid is making their XPS 9360 sleep / wake as expected?
I'm not seeing this on 10.13.5 with BIOS 2.8.2

I'm not yet on BIOS 2.8.1, which is the latest I see on Dell's site. I'm willing to update to that, if that will help you. Otherwise, where did you find v2.8.2?

On another note, with your latest commit and the addition of CPUFriend.kext/CPUFriendDataProvider.kext, this works as expected on a fresh reboot achieving an idle CPU speed of ~0.8GHz. But, upon a wake from sleep (lid initiated) the lowest idle speed is ~1.15GHz. Any idea why after wake, the CPU won't slow to it's previous speed?

Why are you using such a mix of ACPI hotpatch and ACPI static patch?
Best to pick one method (hotpatch or static patch) and stick with it.

Also...
Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

honestly, i just collected patches to make the thing work, i have no idea on best practices for acpi patching... not sure how i would go about converting the ssdt* patches to clover hotpatches. or is the other way around easier?

probably is the problem here though, considering the ACPI table load errors on the beginning of the boot log as well.
Not sure how to go about debugging this now though.

I still don't understand how it just stopped working though, can't imagine there being such major ACPI table changes in the BIOS updates.

regarding kexts: i restructured to have most kexts in /L/E now, honestly just left it like that because it worked :D

I'm not seeing this on 10.13.5 with BIOS 2.8.2

opening the lid is not working for me properly, closing the lid works though.
My setup uses some of your static- and hotpatches though, so maybe there's a common problem here somewhere. (also on 2.8.2 now)

also brightness keys no longer work somehow

UPDATE:

alright, after many a BIOS updates and again extracting the DSDT, fixing the syntax errors and using the new, fixed (no patches applied) DSDT for my patched/ folder, the problems miraculously disappeared... not sure what caused it but i advise you to make sure you have a recent version of iasl and carefully fix the syntax errors in the DSDT after disassembly and then compile it, making sure it is idempotent over multiple compilations and place it in your patched folder...

Last edited:
Ok, updated to v2.8.1 and lid sleep/wake works as it has previously.

Thanks for testing that. I'll have to do some research on why it doesn't work here.

Screen immediately goes off and I can see the power light go off also. However in logs I immediately see an ACPI wake.

Code:
2018-07-04 19:32:24.991774+0400 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) ACPI SLEEP
2018-07-04 19:32:24.993476+0400 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) Facs->FirmwareWakingVector: 0x2000
2018-07-04 19:32:24.993478+0400 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) Facs->Length: 0x40
2018-07-04 19:32:24.993479+0400 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) Facs->Version: 0x2
2018-07-04 19:32:24.993481+0400 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) Facs->XFirmwareWakingVector: 0x0
2018-07-04 19:32:24.993482+0400 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) Facs->OspmFlags: 0x0
2018-07-04 19:32:25.007862+0400 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) ACPI S3 WAKE
2018-07-04 19:32:25.112562+0400 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) Facs->FirmwareWakingVector: 0x0
2018-07-04 19:32:25.112565+0400 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) Facs->Length: 0x40
2018-07-04 19:32:25.112568+0400 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) Facs->Version: 0x2
2018-07-04 19:32:25.112571+0400 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) Facs->XFirmwareWakingVector: 0x0
2018-07-04 19:32:25.112573+0400 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) Facs->OspmFlags: 0x0
2018-07-04 19:32:25.115068+0400 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: ?
2018-07-04 19:32:25.115069+0400 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: ?

On another note, with your latest commit and the addition of CPUFriend.kext/CPUFriendDataProvider.kext, this works as expected on a fresh reboot achieving an idle CPU speed of ~0.8GHz. But, upon a wake from sleep (lid initiated) the lowest idle speed is ~1.15GHz. Any idea why after wake, the CPU won't slow to it's previous speed?

Not sure yet why the platform plist is not taken into account on waking up from sleep. Will need some more testing and log combing to determine that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back