Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update about VoodooI2C:
Native gestures will be available with a future version of the kext, including pinch to zoom, look up, show desktop, rotate... Basically everything ;)
This is currently under development, but there are still bugs to be solved before release.

Just an update about VoodooI2C:
Native gestures will be available with a future version of the kext, including pinch to zoom, look up, show desktop, rotate... Basically everything ;)
This is currently under development, but there are still bugs to be solved before release.
Yeah I've seen some commits on the repo regarding native multitouch support. It's great to hear that this is still being developed :)

Got VoodooI2C working... Trackpad is much, much, better now. Still can't understand why people are using VoodooPS2 for this laptop. Don't want to offend anyone, but it's garbage compared with I2C.

What are the improvements?

- Much more precise
- Scrolling is perfect
- more gestures are available (See screenshot)
- Almost as perfect as a MacBook trackpad itself.
- Mouse cursor doesn't hop anymore
- No more random selection box, when moving the cursor with trackpad
- Much more (I'm still testing)

I know some of you don't have the problems I had, with this trackpad.

Is it worth to use VoodooI2C instead of VoodooPS2?
100% yes, I almost went back to Windows on this laptop. Now I'll stay on Hackintosh. this is really a huge improvement.

How to install
It wasn't easy. (working in DSDT and I'm no expert etc.) However I managed to figure it out, with some help from other forums here on tonymac. You can do it yourself following the guide here: https://voodooi2c.github.io and https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/voodooi2c-help-and-support.243378/

Will you make a guide?
Dunno, I was a little discouraged by the fact most of you could stand the trackpad with VoodooPS2. If you guys are oke with the trackpad atm... However if there are enough requests, I will make a noob friendly guide.

Great work! Will test it in the next days. I already noticed the touchscreen is working better, for example, scrolling through webpages with 2 fingers.

After small comparison I got it working with a much simpler SSDT with clover hotpatch. The thing is really simple to understand since there is like literally not much to edit since the @jkbuha's SSDT is like the same as the code in DSDT excluding _CRS method. After reading VoodooI2C documentation the I2C device is already well-root pinned. So we need like no additional modification to TPD1 Device except changing _CRS method to return proper value. I also added custom _STA Method for Device GPI0 to apply "GPI0 Status Patch" from their MaciASL Repo.

I applied the following DSDT Fixed in Clover config.plist with the SSDT in the attachment:

Code:
Comment: change _STA to XSTA in Device GPI0
Find: 5F535441
Replace: 58535441
TgtBridge: 47504930

Comment: change _CRS to XCRS in Device TPD1
Find: 5F435253
Replace: 58435253
TgtBridge: 54504431

Added VoodooI2C.kext and VoodooI2CHID.kext. I left @RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller for Keyboard management.

Trackpad is much snappier but it lacks some functionalities:
- tap dragging does not work - there is a workaround by changing accessibility options
- 2F pinch to zoom is not implemented/not working
- the more advanced gestures are hardcoded, at least for now I hope

Otherwise:
- the vertical/horizontal scrolling is much better
- 3F gestures work quite nice
- palm recognition works great
- overall 1F usage is even better than on Windows

Thanks for your guide, the touchpad works, but the keyboard doesn't work. Does VoodooPS2Controller.kext need to be retained?

Thanks for your guide, the touchpad works, but the keyboard doesn't work. Does VoodooPS2Controller.kext need to be retained?
Yeah. You shouldn't have to remove any kexts to get I2C working

@Vygr10565, VoodooI2C is an excellent addition to MacOS on the XPS 9630.

I've been testing the simplified SSDT hot-patch by @ressetkk in combination with VoodooI2C.
If all works well, I'll update my git repo, obviously attributing credit of this change to you.

Its great to see so many contributions in this thread!

The community working on these machines really has been great. True long term support!

I finally got around to disabling the CABC on one of my XPS13s using dells windows utility.

I used this nifty web tool to side by side compare the CABC disabled/enabled laptops. (prior to disabling they tested identical) I tested it myself then asked my girlfriend to compare the two for a bit of scientific methodology. We both reached the same conclusions.
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

As boz noted in the guide the brightness is significantly higher (it took 4 steps below max brightness to match the CABC enabled at max) also the lowest setting on CABC enabled is quite a bit darker than disabled.

The colors were also much deeper and easier to differentiate blacks, even with brightness turned down. Watching videos dark scenes are no longer washed black and difficult to see (something that had bothered me several times before)

One interesting thing I noticed was during the inversion test.
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

Panel 4b had a noticeable flicker with CABC enabled. There was zero flicker in any with it disabled, also the panels 4a/4b and 7a/7b appeared swapped between the displays. (not totally sure what that means)

I'm interested what the difference in power consumption is, I haven't noticed a difference yet.

If anyone wants me to I can take some pics of the CABC enabled/disabled side by side with my phone.

Getting a Kernel Panic with VoodooI2C, here is what I did:

- Add VoodooI2C.kext and VoodooI2CHID.kext to Clover/kexts/Other (Keeping VoodooPs2Controller.kext)
- Add ressetkk's DSDT patches to my config.plist
- Compile ressetkk's .dsl to .aml via maciasl and move it to Clover/ACPI/patched/SSDT-I2C.aml

Removing the DSDT patches from config.plist let's me boot back into the system, but without trackpad support.

Would appreciate some help!

Attachments

• 20180315_210530.jpg
    20180315_210530.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 242
  • config.plist
    10.1 KB · Views: 371
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back