Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got VoodooI2C working... Trackpad is much, much, better now. Still can't understand why people are using VoodooPS2 for this laptop. Don't want to offend anyone, but it's garbage compared with I2C.

What are the improvements?

- Much more precise
- Scrolling is perfect
- more gestures are available (See screenshot)
- Almost as perfect as a MacBook trackpad itself.
- Mouse cursor doesn't hop anymore
- No more random selection box, when moving the cursor with trackpad
- Much more (I'm still testing)

I know some of you don't have the problems I had, with this trackpad.

Is it worth to use VoodooI2C instead of VoodooPS2?
100% yes, I almost went back to Windows on this laptop. Now I'll stay on Hackintosh. this is really a huge improvement.

How to install
It wasn't easy. (working in DSDT and I'm no expert etc.) However I managed to figure it out, with some help from other forums here on tonymac. You can do it yourself following the guide here: https://voodooi2c.github.io and https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/voodooi2c-help-and-support.243378/

Will you make a guide?
Dunno, I was a little discouraged by the fact most of you could stand the trackpad with VoodooPS2. If you guys are oke with the trackpad atm... However if there are enough requests, I will make a noob friendly guide.
Oh man. This is for sure huge. I', gonna test it with @jkbuha SSDT.
Thanks for research! :D

Last edited:
Got VoodooI2C working... Trackpad is much, much, better now. Still can't understand why people are using VoodooPS2 for this laptop. Don't want to offend anyone, but it's garbage compared with I2C.

What are the improvements?

- Much more precise
- Scrolling is perfect
- more gestures are available (See screenshot)
- Almost as perfect as a MacBook trackpad itself.
- Mouse cursor doesn't hop anymore
- No more random selection box, when moving the cursor with trackpad
- Much more (I'm still testing)

I know some of you don't have the problems I had, with this trackpad.

Is it worth to use VoodooI2C instead of VoodooPS2?
100% yes, I almost went back to Windows on this laptop. Now I'll stay on Hackintosh. this is really a huge improvement.

How to install
It wasn't easy. (working in DSDT and I'm no expert etc.) However I managed to figure it out, with some help from other forums here on tonymac. You can do it yourself following the guide here: https://voodooi2c.github.io and https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/voodooi2c-help-and-support.243378/

Will you make a guide?
Dunno, I was a little discouraged by the fact most of you could stand the trackpad with VoodooPS2. If you guys are oke with the trackpad atm... However if there are enough requests, I will make a noob friendly guide.

Awesome dude!

I assume you removed voodoops2?

Does pinch to zoom, and brightness keys etc work?

As for gestures I've gotten all the three swipes working flawlessly with voodoops2 by remapping the keys it throws with better touch tool. Three finger swipe sends Command/Shift/Arrow key.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 6.21.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 6.21.29 PM.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 342
Awesome dude!

I assume you removed voodoops2?

Does pinch to zoom, and brightness keys etc work?

As for gestures I've gotten all the three swipes working flawlessly with voodoops2 by remapping the keys it throws with better touch tool. Three finger swipe sends Command/Shift/Arrow key.
you will need VoodooPS2 for your keyboard

After small comparison I got it working with a much simpler SSDT with clover hotpatch. The thing is really simple to understand since there is like literally not much to edit since the @jkbuha's SSDT is like the same as the code in DSDT excluding _CRS method. After reading VoodooI2C documentation the I2C device is already well-root pinned. So we need like no additional modification to TPD1 Device except changing _CRS method to return proper value. I also added custom _STA Method for Device GPI0 to apply "GPI0 Status Patch" from their MaciASL Repo.

I applied the following DSDT Fixed in Clover config.plist with the SSDT in the attachment:

Code:
Comment: change _STA to XSTA in Device GPI0
Find: 5F535441
Replace: 58535441
TgtBridge: 47504930

Comment: change _CRS to XCRS in Device TPD1
Find: 5F435253
Replace: 58435253
TgtBridge: 54504431

Added VoodooI2C.kext and VoodooI2CHID.kext. I left @RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller for Keyboard management.

Trackpad is much snappier but it lacks some functionalities:
- tap dragging does not work - there is a workaround by changing accessibility options
- 2F pinch to zoom is not implemented/not working
- the more advanced gestures are hardcoded, at least for now I hope

Otherwise:
- the vertical/horizontal scrolling is much better
- 3F gestures work quite nice
- palm recognition works great
- overall 1F usage is even better than on Windows

Attachments

• SSDT-I2C.dsl
    490 bytes · Views: 283
Last edited:
Thanks - with your edits I realised that most of the required TPD1 code was actually already there. Your amended SSDT works fine, just a couple of additional changes I had to make to my config.plist but otherwise driver is stable. 1F/2F/3F work better than their PS2 counterparts (apart from pinching, which doesnt). Stability is quite good too.

Is there any particular reason why two finger pinch zooming doesn't work with this controller? Otherwise, this fixes just about every issue I had noticed using the PS2 controller for a couple months now. Thanks for this guys!

Is there any particular reason why two finger pinch zooming doesn't work with this controller? Otherwise, this fixes just about every issue I had noticed using the PS2 controller for a couple months now. Thanks for this guys!
It's probably not implemented yet.

After small comparison I got it working with a much simpler SSDT with clover hotpatch. The thing is really simple to understand since there is like literally not much to edit since the @jkbuha's SSDT is like the same as the code in DSDT excluding _CRS method. After reading VoodooI2C documentation the I2C device is already well-root pinned. So we need like no additional modification to TPD1 Device except changing _CRS method to return proper value. I also added custom _STA Method for Device GPI0 to apply "GPI0 Status Patch" from their MaciASL Repo.

I applied the following DSDT Fixed in Clover config.plist with the SSDT in the attachment:

Code:
Comment: change _STA to XSTA in Device GPI0
Find: 5F535441
Replace: 58535441
TgtBridge: 47504930

Comment: change _CRS to XCRS in Device TPD1
Find: 5F435253
Replace: 58435253
TgtBridge: 54504431

Added VoodooI2C.kext and VoodooI2CHID.kext. I left @RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller for Keyboard management.

Trackpad is much snappier but it lacks some functionalities:
- tap dragging does not work - there is a workaround by changing accessibility options
- 2F pinch to zoom is not implemented/not working
- the more advanced gestures are hardcoded, at least for now I hope

Otherwise:
- the vertical/horizontal scrolling is much better
- 3F gestures work quite nice
- palm recognition works great
- overall 1F usage is even better than on Windows

I've been testing this since last night its been working great. The palm detection is better than its ever been in windows mac or linux :thumbup:

Do yall think the voodoo kext's should be installed to S/L/E or clover? I just threw em in clover and its been working fine. (1-2 hours use since)

To date I've never put the custom kexts in SLE unless I really need to. I know it's unorthodox; but with my specific config the majority of kexts seem to work fine from the EFI folder. Keeps it cleaner as well...

Oh, and thanks @Vygr10565 for pointing us to this. If it hadn't been for you we would have sailed blissfully ignorant unaware that such improvements were possible. The majority of contributions in this thread have all come from quite a few individuals who've thought that their discoveries might be of value to more than just themselves. Sharing is caring...

I've been testing this since last night its been working great. The palm detection is better than its ever been in windows mac or linux :thumbup:

Do yall think the voodoo kext's should be installed to S/L/E or clover? I just threw em in clover and its been working fine. (1-2 hours use since)
I have most of my kexts in the Clover kexts directory. The exception is for AppleBacklightInjector since it is placed in /L/E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back