Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Later releases of Clover will have a new OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi (or it may have a new name).
With that new driver, EmuVariable not needed.
My version of Clover does not have the updated OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi.
I'm waiting for the dust to settle (some people have issues with the new version) and the driver to be finalized, and also I have many different computers to test with before I update my version of Clover. So far only tested with my u430 and NUC6i7KYK.

But either the new OsxAptioFix should work (without EmuVariable), or you can use EmuVarableUefi-64.efi with the RC scripts.

Thanks, I am using your clover with the Emu and RC Scripts but it does not seem to work (I tried by adding my own test variable). I could not find a thread that explain how to debug, could you point me?

Thanks, I am using your clover with the Emu and RC Scripts but it does not seem to work (I tried by adding my own test variable). I could not find a thread that explain how to debug, could you point me?

Look to see if you have nvram.plist at the root of the EFI partition.
And check your Clover bootlog for details when it loads the data from there.

Thanks, I can see that the value for the backlight in /Volumes/EFI/nvram.plist is the same as the output of nvram -x -p
{code}
<key>backlight-level</key>
<data>
/AA=
</data>
{code}

And the value changes when I change the brightness. However, I am still booting with max brightness?

As promised, here's a small hack that could make many modders (@nos1609, @jkbuha, ?) happy :)

I used the internal USB SMD connector "JTS", originally used for touch screen (or empty if FHD model), as an additional internal USB port.
I used it to put a Logitech Unifying USB receiver inside the 9360 chassis.
>> It may be used for a small Bluetooth USB key, in case we will never be able to troubleshoot the dead/duplicated BT entry after resume from sleep.

Important note
:
JTS VCC output is 3.3 volts with very low amperage, not the usual 5V of USB ports.
This is a non-issue with most small USB devices, which integrate an LDO to bring that 5V down to 3V or 3V3.
In my case, the Logitech Receiver does not even integrate an LDO, because the NRF 2.4GHz mcu runs happily from 3V to 5V.

Instructions (at your own risk!):

>> Connector: JST 06SUR-32S
E.g.: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=455-2983-ND is good because it's already wired and the cables are insulated with heat-resistant PTFE

>> Soldering:
1.jpg

>> Wiring:
2.jpg

>> Cable management, using the empty space on the right side, symmetrical to the space taken by the coin-cell RTC battery on the left side:
3.jpg

4.jpg

>> Result:
5.jpg

I see no need for GND shielding because the receiver runs at 12mbps. Your results may vary.
It may be wiser to protect the wires from shorting with heat-shrinking tube, especially if using non-PTFE wires.

With my Logitech USB receiver I'm getting 1m range, enough for my uses!
Good modding!

Last edited:
Just update bios to v. 2.2.1 and install High Sierra with this guide. Nothing specially different from the guide, except GPU needs to be set as 59260002 the same as in MBP14,1. Got Iris FHD model with Hynix coverted to 4k and DW1830 swapped from my old 9350. Only issues so far - no usb-c hotplug, audio loss after sleep sometimes and strange behaviour of touchpad. Touchpad becames less buggy after pointer speed increase.
Attached the IFR from 2.2.1 backup, but it's basically the same as 1.3.5, so everything works as intended. In case of insufficient DVMT try using a lilu addon that fixes that easely.
Personnaly have a little different point of view on power management then the OP's one, but this makes my laptop lasting 6+ hours without compromising graphics part. HWP+ssdtprgen+xcpm+X86PlatformPluginInjector gives me such results in geekbench:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/4491285
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/1259000
which is not far away from Apple MBP14,1 & MBP14,2.
After Conductonaut mod under full load the laptop is running its two cores at 2.9-3.0 Ghz constantly with at least 3h of full load operation not getting hotter than 80 degrees Celcius. Iris version is more closer to native apple hardware, so it is easier to make it run macOS than non-iris versions.

@nos1609 what HWP value are you using?

By the way: How is the touchpad for you guys? On the initial osx setup it is incredibly precise, no ghost movements, tap to click and really responsive.
After the setup I often get movements when trying to click on something. It is even worse when activating tap to click.

Did anyone do a setup with the newer 2.5.x bios from scratch yet?
Are specifically the required DVMT EFI variable tweaks functional?

By the way: How is the touchpad for you guys? On the initial osx setup it is incredibly precise, no ghost movements, tap to click and really responsive.
After the setup I often get movements when trying to click on something. It is even worse when activating tap to click.
I get the same glitches or movements and I turned off all the extra features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back