Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, bozma88.
Really appreciate that you've got a good guide about 9360.
I'm thinking about to get one the same build as you, I've checked much info then I found
BCM943602BAED (DW1830) is a good one, speeder and BT4.1.
After searching much info I still got no idea if there's enough space for BCM943602BAED (DW1830). This one is a little bigger than
BCM94352Z (DW1560) (The one you choose).

Have you ever thought about DW1830? Or it won't work on XPS 9360?
I think it will fit.
@syscl is using it on XPS9350, have a look: https://github.com/syscl/XPS9350-macOS/blob/master/README.md
Many prefer DW1560 because XPS9350 originally shipped with it, I think, so it's 100% not BIOS blacklisted.
Not the best card, but on OSX I find it pretty good.

@bozma88 First off all thank you for your continued support and for pushing me to find stuff out myself.

Second of all, I managed to get everything up and running. I'm not using HackrNVMeFamily.kext nor SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml. Went through the guides multiple times with zero results so used the code in my config.plist I used to find NVMe in Disk Utility during install and that works:

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 14.34.07.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 16.31.58.png

I think it had to with different block sizes for my LiteOn CX2-8B256-Q11 drive. This is the code I used in config.plist, to go with Pike's patches:
Code:
<dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>IONVMeFamily change 0x10 -&gt; 0x01 for LiteOn CX2 (c) Pike R. Alpha implemented by syscl</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                9sEQD4UcAQAA
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>IONVMeFamily</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                9sEBD4UcAQAA
                </data>
            </dict>

Boots like a baby! Above might be useful for people who get a 9360 with a LiteOn drive and want to use this guide I guess?

Final question: I'm using this USB-C -> DP cable for my 40" 4K screen: https://www.startech.com/eu/AV/usb-c-video-adapters/usb-c-displayport~CDP2DPMM1MB

Hot swapping works but I can't get 2160p@60Hz, only 2160p@30Hz.
Cable should be able to carry the load, any suggestions for that? This screen works fine on my desktop hack and supports 2160p@60Hz.

Last edited:
Hi All,
Hackintosh newbie here. I am getting a Dell Precision 5520 in the next few days. The specification is:

i7-7820HQ, 15.6 FHD IPS display, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M.2 PCIe drive, NVIDIA Quadro M1200 w/4GB, Dell Wireless 1820 (BCM94350ZAE from my googling).

My understanding is that this is similar to XPS 13/15. Has anyone had success in installing macosx Sierra on a Dell Precision 5520 configuration similar to this? I have been reading the guides, forums and taking notes. It looks like the wireless card might be the biggest issue? Is the Dell Wireless 1820 card working for anyone in Sierra?

Thanks,
--Kannan.

@bozma88 First off all thank you for your continued support and for pushing me to find stuff out myself.

Second of all, I managed to get everything up and running. I'm not using HackrNVMeFamily.kext nor SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml. Went through the guides multiple times with zero results so used the code in my config.plist I used to find NVMe in Disk Utility during install and that works:

View attachment 236102
View attachment 236122

I think it had to with different block sizes for my LiteOn CX2-8B256-Q11 drive. This is the code I used in config.plist, to go with Pike's patches:
Code:
<dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>IONVMeFamily change 0x10 -&gt; 0x01 for LiteOn CX2 (c) Pike R. Alpha implemented by syscl</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                9sEQD4UcAQAA
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>IONVMeFamily</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                9sEBD4UcAQAA
                </data>
            </dict>

Boots like a baby! Above might be useful for people who get a 9360 with a LiteOn drive and want to use this guide I guess?

Final question: I'm using this USB-C -> DP cable for my 40" 4K screen: https://www.startech.com/eu/AV/usb-c-video-adapters/usb-c-displayport~CDP2DPMM1MB

Cable should be able to carry the load, any suggestions for that? This screen works fine on my desktop hack and supports 2160p@60Hz.

It looks work just fine.
Seems that your Cable and desktop display is OK.
Does your other display device support HDMI 2.0?

Last edited:
I think it will fit.
@syscl is using it on XPS9350, have a look: https://github.com/syscl/XPS9350-macOS/blob/master/README.md
Many prefer DW1560 because XPS9350 originally shipped with it, I think, so it's 100% not BIOS blacklisted.
Not the best card, but on OSX I find it pretty good.

Really appreciate @bozma88 and @syscl and all of you guys.
I'm going to get my XPS in days.
Checked the issues of the link https://github.com/syscl/XPS9350-macOS/issues/56
It seems that need do some tricks with DW1830, I'd choose same one as you guys the DW1560.

Hi All,
Hackintosh newbie here. I am getting a Dell Precision 5520 in the next few days. The specification is:

i7-7820HQ, 15.6 FHD IPS display, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M.2 PCIe drive, NVIDIA Quadro M1200 w/4GB, Dell Wireless 1820 (BCM94350ZAE from my googling).

My understanding is that this is similar to XPS 13/15. Has anyone had success in installing macosx Sierra on a Dell Precision 5520 configuration similar to this? I have been reading the guides, forums and taking notes. It looks like the wireless card might be the biggest issue? Is the Dell Wireless 1820 card working for anyone in Sierra?

Thanks,
--Kannan.

I don't see how this is similar to an XPS13 in terms of processor, graphics, ram, wlan.
I think you may find the 9550/9560 guides more fitting.
We are willing to help you, but please not in this thread, as initially stated:

Important note:

I kindly ask you to post replies and comment only if you have this very laptop model: XPS 13 9360.
This is a specific guide, not a generic learning/support thread.
For all the rest, Google is your friend.

I'd try the adapter and cable on same 9360 machine but on Windows.

Would running w10 from a usb drive suffice to test?
I don't see why it wouldn't, provided you install all the graphics drivers.
TIP: have a look at Windows-to-Go.
Please report here only once you find it working on Windows, so we know that the problem is MacOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back