Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9350 macOS 10.12.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since after 370 downloads I can see only few complaints about the dw1560. I need help from owners of laptops with these adapters to rectify the config to suit everyone. Once again the attached folder do NOT pretend to be your final setup even if I'm using it as a daily driver now. You certainly need DSDT/SSDT patching and maybe some SLE-installed kexts. However it is intended to grow a wider community of macOS users of 9350 to lead the R&D process. If users aren't using the OS, we aren't able to fix bugs either. If users aren't able to install the OS, they surely can't report bugs. So I call for your help at least with a feedback to know if the choosen approach was right or wrong.

If You DO have installed sucessfully macOS and it's up and running without any troubles, You can simply valuate the post with it so I can track the percentage of successfull installs. I'm not the topic starter and I'm not able to modify the first post or set up a poll etc. So I see this as simple and quick solution. For now.

If You DON'T have installed macOS, got troubles during install or they are any troubles after install please report about it.

I was using macOS on real hardware (MD388) for about four years and now switched to this laptop. Windows is already quite stable for daily driver use, but our hardware is still way ahead of it. Same thing with multimedia software. So I'm really interessed in getting this machine running macOS as native ones do. But I'm a photographer and not a developer. We do have developers in the thread, but they can't fix bugs if they do not know about them. Please be a little bit more informative. Thank You and sorry for my English:angel:

I am using the same connection method, yes the card certainly works, but I doubt its speed. It should be a very fast wifi card, while with only 2 antennas connected, I am getting only around 100Mbps in Windows( it shows the connection speed in control panel, I do not know how to check the connection speed in macOS ). I am using a AC router and can get 867Mbps using original DW1820A, I am thinking whether DW1560 is a better choice for XPS 13 9350 due to having only 2 antennas.
Under windows I'm getting 1,3 Gbps or 867Mbps with Linksys EA8500 depending the room. It's up to you to choose, my choice was made in favour of linux and windows compatibility. Also keep in mind that it simply works without any patches or kexts. They're "cosmetical" fixes to unleash the full capabilities of the adapter. And nobody prohibits you to install the third antenna;)

Last edited:
several people have tried but ended buying a compatible card DW1560. (i think DW1830 is the recommend card for skylake now)

another dell laptop can work with DW1820A. you could browse the project at:
https://github.com/syscl/M3800

Edit:
if its just bluetooth you want with DW1820A:
1. boot to windows 10.
2. reboot to sierra (with the bcrm kexts)
3. play with bluetooth
.. sleep will unload/disable bluetooth

Thanks, maybe thats the missing link, have to boot first from windows. Its kinda weird that another laptop can use this card but not ours :(

The bios for this guide is version 1.4.4. However, the latest listed on the Dell website is 1.4.10 (see below). Can anyone tell me if I should hold off on updating the bios? I'm ready to start the process but am holding off until I know whether I should update or not.

i have 1.4.4 and 10.12.1; it works fine;
you can always downgrade the bios (if you still have your windows)

from what i've learned with hackintosh -- it's always try and see if it works for ;)

Reactions: cyf
It is better to send the codes as a single: 0x0406, 0x0405.
thanks ..but actually there's new problem
fn + wifi switch wont work

[UPDATE (2016-12-12, 1:32AM, lol):

Learned/remembered a few things, which was I could go into the EFI shell (because at least Clover was loading on the HDD) and copy the files from the CLOVER directory on the USB EFI partition over to the HDD EFI partition "cp -r FS0:\EFI\CLOVER FS1:\EFI". Of course, I had to delete the HDD EFI CLOVER directory because there were some kexts I didn't need (I found this out the hard way because it wasn't booting after I copied the CLOVER directory and I added the verbose, "-v", boot argument to see what was causing errors). Also found out you can't mount the EFI directory in safe mode because the msdos kext is not loaded.

I'll have to troubleshoot why the system doesn't see the USB to boot from it in UEFI.

Progress update tomorrow!]

So, the install went fine, although the estimated time was way off (it took a lot longer than it said) and I got to the point where I was even able to run the Clover set-up. However, I made the mistake of rebooting before I copied over the kexts and config.plist from the install USB to the HDD*, and now the computer won't recognize the USB as a boot device. In other words, when I go into the BIOS, it shows HDD as a boot option (which is the default Clover install) and strangely the Windows Boot Loader (I say strangely because I completely wiped the HDD using Disk Utility before installing, otherwise it said the "Disk is Locked" when I tried to select it during install--I would have thought it would have deleted the Windows Boot Loader entry). I note that the USB drive shows up under the Legacy boot entries in the Boot Menu I turn on legacy boot.

Regardless, how can I either: (1) add the USB UEFI boot entry manually; or (2) copy the config.plist and other files from the USB onto the HDD.

*[Ugh, and I knew as soon as I rebooted I had made a mistake because I didn't copy the files onto the EFI partition on the HDD...]

Last edited:
---- removed -------

Last edited:
thanks ..but actually there's new problem
fn + wifi switch wont work

Unrelated to backlight controls...
But also typical.
Macs do not have such keys. Best to turn on/off WiFi with the system menu bar provided by Apple.

Since after 370 downloads I can see only few complaints about the dw1560. I need help from owners of laptops with these adapters to rectify the config to suit everyone. Once again the attached folder do NOT pretend to be your final setup even if I'm using it as a daily driver now. You certainly need DSDT/SSDT patching and maybe some SLE-installed kexts. However it is intended to grow a wider community of macOS users of 9350 to lead the R&D process. If users aren't using the OS, we aren't able to fix bugs either. If users aren't able to install the OS, they surely can't report bugs. So I call for your help at least with a feedback to know if the choosen approach was right or wrong.

If You DO have installed sucessfully macOS and it's up and running without any troubles, You can simply valuate the post with it so I can track the percentage of successfull installs. I'm not the topic starter and I'm not able to modify the first post or set up a poll etc. So I see this as simple and quick solution. For now.

If You DON'T have installed macOS, got troubles during install or they are any troubles after install please report about it.

I was using macOS on real hardware (MD388) for about four years and now switched to this laptop. Windows is already quite stable for daily driver use, but our hardware is still way ahead of it. Same thing with multimedia software. So I'm really interessed in getting this machine running macOS as native ones do. But I'm a photographer and not a developer. We do have developers in the thread, but they can't fix bugs if they do not know about them. Please be a little bit more informative. Thank You and sorry for my English:angel:

Under windows I'm getting 1,3 Gbps or 867Mbps with Linksys EA8500 depending the room. It's up to you to choose, my choice was made in favour of linux and windows compatibility. Also keep in mind that it simply works without any patches or kexts. They're "cosmetical" fixes to unleash the full capabilities of the adapter. And nobody prohibits you to install the third antenna;)

I think it's possible to buy another antenna, in fact you can buy small antennas for laptop on eBay, there are many cheap options, the problem is where to place the third antenna, metal on the bottom is not going to help.

I think it's possible to buy another antenna, in fact you can buy small antennas for laptop on eBay, there are many cheap options, the problem is where to place the third antenna, metal on the bottom is not going to help.

Generally, laptop radio antennas are installed into and around the screen bezel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back