Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9333 using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vbo,

Does the MEI Write disable patch work in 10.10.3? I no longer get the iTunes DRM message and it doesn't appear to work anymore

If you don't get the DRM warning, the patch likely needs to be updated for .3.

I personally went back to the first version of the patch a while ago (the one that uses the 'disabled via plist' path in the kext). I swapped my motherboard from i3/4gb to i7/8gb, and I started having the same minimum brightness on wake issue that you reported in the other thread.. No idea why it didn't happen with the previous board, but it did with the new one.. That was more annoying to me since I don't use safari for videos, so I went back to the first version of the patch which also works in .3.

If you don't get the DRM warning, the patch likely needs to be updated for .3.

I personally went back to the first version of the patch a while ago (the one that uses the 'disabled via plist' path in the kext). I swapped my motherboard from i3/4gb to i7/8gb, and I started having the same minimum brightness on wake issue that you reported in the other thread.. No idea why it didn't happen with the previous board, but it did with the new one.. That was more annoying to me since I don't use safari for videos, so I went back to the first version of the patch which also works in .3.

If you're interested, I updated your write disable method for 10.10.3. Well, at least it appears to do the same thing yours does, I didn't actually analyze yours :p. It works for me and someone else fine, albeit I still have the brightness issue. Another tester doesn't report this bug.

New Patch

Hey guys,

Got this laptop at home and I'm gonna try to do the OSX installation on my laptop. Read through the guide, seems pretty easy and straightforward. Just have two questions:

- I understand that I need to replace the internal wifi card for something compatible. Any recommendations ? The guide talks about the BCM94352Z but I can't find any place to buy it. Can you point me to a place to buy it (that ship to Europe please) or an equivalent ?

- What about battery life ? How many time the battery last on average when running OSX?

Thanks for your answer
:)

If you're interested, I updated your write disable method for 10.10.3. Well, at least it appears to do the same thing yours does, I didn't actually analyze yours :p. It works for me and someone else fine, albeit I still have the brightness issue. Another tester doesn't report this bug.

New Patch

Hey JVital, thanks for the heads up. I went back and looked into this again a little more closely. I don't have a fix that's 100% yet, but at least I think I understand how it works better. I've posted the info and patches I'm currently using in the other thread since I've seen RehabMan linking to it to help other people (to try to keep the relevant info in one place): http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...own-after-few-hours-uptime-6.html#post1021949

Hey guys,

Got this laptop at home and I'm gonna try to do the OSX installation on my laptop. Read through the guide, seems pretty easy and straightforward. Just have two questions:

- I understand that I need to replace the internal wifi card for something compatible. Any recommendations ? The guide talks about the BCM94352Z but I can't find any place to buy it. Can you point me to a place to buy it (that ship to Europe please) or an equivalent ?
It's been hard to find. I think the new XPS13 actually ships with a version of this card, so maybe you'll find some used on ebay soon? I think the Dell identifier is DW1560, but double check cause I'm going from memory. Otherwise search in this forum, you might get some leads as to where you can find one.

- What about battery life ? How many time the battery last on average when running OSX?
I'd say about 6 or 7 hours on 50% brightness browsing the web/youtube/itunes/office stuffs.. it should be very similar to what you get in windows since power management (speedstep) is completely working in OSX.

It's been hard to find. I think the new XPS13 actually ships with a version of this card, so maybe you'll find some used on ebay soon? I think the Dell identifier is DW1560, but double check cause I'm going from memory. Otherwise search in this forum, you might get some leads as to where you can find one.

Thanks for the answer, will dig in the forum for leads. Otherwise do you know an USB adapater (I'll need wifi plus bluetooth) that is known to work well ?

I'd say about 6 or 7 hours on 50% brightness browsing the web/youtube/itunes/office stuffs.. it should be very similar to what you get in windows since power management (speedstep) is completely working in OSX.

Pretty awesome. Currently running Linux on the laptop, hardly getting 4 hours of battery life (was expecting the same in OSX)

Thanks for the answer, will dig in the forum for leads. Otherwise do you know an USB adapater (I'll need wifi plus bluetooth) that is known to work well ?
For BT, I *think* the bluetooth on your intel card will work in OSX. As far as wifi, any usb wifi adapter which has drivers for OSX will work. I used one with a RTL8192CU chip for a while and it worked fine. Note that the drivers are notoriously crappy and may prevent sleep from working properly.

I'm trying this on the newer XPS 9343 and when I try to boot from the USB after putting the laptop in Legacy Mode (wont see the USB unless I do) it fails to boot it and says "Selected boot device failed. Press any key to reboot the system". Does this mean I need to remake the USB or something?

I'm trying this on the newer XPS 9343 and when I try to boot from the USB after putting the laptop in Legacy Mode (wont see the USB unless I do) it fails to boot it and says "Selected boot device failed. Press any key to reboot the system". Does this mean I need to remake the USB or something?

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back