Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock X99 Extreme6
CPU
E5-2690 v4
Graphics
Radeon VII
This guide is applicable, at a minimum, to the Precision 7540 with i5 or i7 processors (I haven't looked at whether the Xeon can be used). The advantage of a Precision 7540 is that it can be ordered with an AMD WX 3200 discrete GPU (very few PC laptops combine an Intel CPU with a compatible AMD GPU). If your discrete GPU is a different model, use the boot argument "-wegnoegpu" to disable it.

Much of this should also be applicable to the Precision 7740, the 17" model.

You can follow the regular OpenCore guide at https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

In my case, I began by modifying the BIOS for CFG Lock (the guide has this step at the end). I've attached the IFR export for Setup as bodyIFR.txt, but note that it is for BIOS version 1.9.0. As of today, there's now a newer BIOS. For 1.9.0, the CFG Lock option is at 0x6ED. I used modGrubShell.efi to change this with
Code:
setup_var2 0x6ED 0
I also checked the DVMT variables, but they were set to compatible values already.

In following the guide, you can skip the "gathering files" section as they're all attached to this post. (I didn't upload Drivers. You need HfsPlus.efi and OpenRuntime.efi, only.)

Go through the config.plist sections of the guide. When you get to the platform-specific steps in the "Configs" part, use laptop "Coffee Lake Plus." You can skip ACPI -> Add and Kernel -> Add, since ProperTree will set these for us based on the files provided. Resist the urge to simply copy the config.plist I've uploaded to this post. It's there for you to refer to during the post-installation phase, since there's a need for some custom patches, and so it'll save you the work of reimplementing them from scratch.

For the post-installation steps, go through and check what is or isn't working. In some cases you'll need to repeat the steps, but for others you have the files already in your EFI. One step that's not mentioned, is that for audio we need ALCPlugFix to be installed, with a slight patch to the hda-verb invocation code. You can use the attached ALCPlugFix.zip and run its install.sh.

If you have a WX 3200, you'll want to copy over the "PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)" key from DeviceProperties -> Add. It contains the device-id Fake ID referenced in my post here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-radeon-pro-wx-3200.279988/page-3#post-2159138

One other wrinkle is keyboard control of the screen brightness. There's a patch to the SMEE method in the config.plist that's disabled. It was intended to be used with an SSDT (not included), but I couldn't get that approach to work. Instead, the VoodooPS2Keyboard kext that I've provided has an edited Info.plist to use F5 as keyboard brightness up (I found I already had F6 working as brightness down).

Remaining issues, for my installation:
  • trackpad buttons don't work - tap to click only
  • occasional panic caused by IONVMeController: I have 2 SSDs, an SN720 and an SN730. Not yet sure which one is causing it.
  • thunderbolt hotplug - [updated] see 2nd post
  • Apple TV DRM (Fairplay 4) doesn't play
If you try this out, and find that I've left out info on any steps, let me know and I'll update this post. Good luck!

Attachments

• ACPI.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 301
  • Kexts.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 396
  • config.plist
    30.8 KB · Views: 331
  • bodyIFR.txt
    1.7 MB · Views: 790
  • ALCPlugFix.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
For thunderbolt hotplug: set GPIO3 Force Pwr (from your BIOS IFR variables) to 1, and use the attached SSDT.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3.aml
    1.6 KB · Views: 257
Thanks for the guide! I'm considering purchasing this laptop and have a few questions. Do you mean that everything other than the trackpad buttons, DRM, and the occasional NVME panic is working 100%? Also have you found out what's causing the NVME kernel panic?

Yep, I haven't found any additional problems.

I've mostly needed Windows recently, so I haven't finished debugging the drive issue. I plan to replace them if necessary. I'd be quite surprised if it didn't work just fine using a Samsung or some other known-good SSD. The SN730 is a new OEM drive that I got a great deal on, but I doubt many people have tried one in a hackintosh yet.

Of the types of DRM listed in the OC guide, only the last one didn't work.

The working dGPU is very unusual. I think this may be the only 15" still sold that you can do that with.

Yeah, the dGPU is the main reason I want to get this. I currently have the XPS 9570. It's been working well but it's plagued with Dell's lackluster VRMs and thus power throttles more often than I'd like. Have you had any of those issues with your laptop?

I haven't noticed anything like that.

There is one other flaw I remembered. There are these screen artifacts that look like some kind of cache corruption. Aside from maybe a few rare instances, I've only seen it on windows that are restored from a previous session at login. It goes away when you do anything to cause the framebuffer to redraw, like moving the window.

Kyle! I have to ask, I'm about to pick up one of these boys. Is there any chance you could link your most up-to-date OC install via github?

Nothing's changed. You've got all the files! :)

Hey Kyle, I've followed this guide step-by-step, same BIOS version, same specs (7540, WX3200, OpenCore 0.6, etc), used the tools, and my 7540 keeps hanging at the 100% progress bar at first full boot after running installation, so I never get to the Set Up Mac startup screen. I've tried reinstalling several times and with different builds of Catalina. Do you have any tips that might help me get to that successful boot? If you'd be so kind as to upload your EFI folder sans serial numbers, maybe I could try that? Maybe you could share your BIOS settings in-depth? Sorry, I'm a newbie so please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.

I remember something like that happening. I thought the installation had failed, and I think I ran it a second time and it just worked with no changes. Something weird like that. So, I think you're close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back