Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Dell Inspiron 14R N4110 (Sandy Bridge) - Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have almost everything working, except for the things that are known to not work!

I'm still having trouble with is the ethernet/network, which is supposed to work according to this guide. Another issue is that sometimes the USB ports don't get any power so nothing that I connect to the computer is detected. Then when I restart, the power comes back. Its an all-or-nothing response in terms of power to the USB ports, meaning if its on, it stays on until next restart, some times it will come back on next time too but then one of the subsequent restarts will fail to supply power to the USB in actual mac os x.

I have a N4110 w/ i3 processor.

Using OS X 10.7.3 on Dell i14N N4110 (w/ core i3)

EDIT:
[quote:gxutv0kf]
HAPPY EDIT: Your battery kext worked for me! Thanks for that! :)
I'm afraid of enabling sleep so far though...infinite KP is scary.
Do you know what the keypress on this is? (ex. windows is CTRL+C, what is it for Hackintosh?)

excellent! I just use the sleep menu item under the apple menu, or use the system preference to set up a hot corner to move my mouse into to turn on sleep.[/quote:gxutv0kf]

Do I have to install battery kext along witht eh appleacpiplatform.kext?

Hi guys, i want to share something about Dell N4110 laptop. My spec is the same as the notywtr. Here are the details:
1, Battery:
Replace by editing dsdt & AppleACPIBatteryManager, voodoobattery isn't needed any more.(more read here:http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/in...19b5&showtopic=181293&view=findpost&p=1737667)

2, Sound:
I find a solution about ALC269, this card is so weird that can't get right way to deal with, but I notice someone get a way work it out, also a few shortage exists. For example, you must boot up Mac OS X first can get headphone and internal speaker auto switch works, if not only can get internal speaker work, also mic doesn't work.
It requires DSDT edit and AppleHDA.kext(attached below), the DSDT part is,
A,)The HDEF:
Code:
    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
            {
                Store (Package (0x0A)
                    {
                        "codec-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x69, 0x02, 0xEC, 0x10
                        }, 
                        "layout-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x0D, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
                        }, 
                        "device-type", 
                        Buffer (0x0F)
                        {
                            "Realtek ALC269"
                        }, 
                        "hda-gfx", 
                        Buffer (0x0A)
                        {
                            "onboard-1"
                        }, 
                        "PinConfigurations", 
                        Buffer (Zero) {}
                    }, Local0)
                DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                Return (Local0)
            }
B,)The GFX0:
Code:
            {
                Store (Package (0x04)
                    {
                        "hda-gfx", 
                        Buffer (0x0A)
                        {
                            "onboard-1"
                        }, 
                        "device-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x26, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
                        }
                    }, Local0)
                Return (Local0)
            }

3, Ethernet:
You can't download the driver from Realtek website, after installed the driver you must manually set it :
First, go to System Preferences--Network--Advanced--Hardware. Second, change "Configure" to "Manually", "Speed" to "10baseT/UTP", "Duplex" and "MTU" choose default setting. By doing this you can get ethernet work.

4, SD Card:
Works without mod, but there is a better way to do it, here it ishttp://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=237068&view=findpost&p=1582928

Issues:
1, AMD6630m doesn't work, also the Intel HD3000 has some problem too. In my case, I can't the brightness works right, it means when you log in system, the screen brightness isn't a real level, a little hazy than normal. But if you let the screen sleep, and wake up it, it turn to normal, I think maybe there is something wrong with HD3000.
2, Chameleon doesn't recognize the default resolution when boot up, only the 1024x768 is listed the video info. So i resize the chameleon theme to fit it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 7.39.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 7.39.31 PM.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 336
  • Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 10.17.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 10.17.21 PM.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 371
  • Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 7.38.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 7.38.38 PM.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 311
  • N4110.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 196
zprood said:
Hi guys, i want to share something about Dell N4110 laptop. My spec is the same as the notywtr. Here are the details:
1, Battery:
Replace by editing dsdt & AppleACPIBatteryManager, voodoobattery isn't needed any more.(more read here:http://www.insanelymac_.com/forum/i...19b5&showtopic=181293&view=findpost&p=1737667)

2, Sound:
I find a solution about ALC269, this card is so weird that can't get right way to deal with, but I notice someone get a way work it out, also a few shortage exists. For example, you must boot up Mac OS X first can get headphone and internal speaker auto switch works, if not only can get internal speaker work, also mic doesn't work.
It requires DSDT edit and AppleHDA.kext(attached below), the DSDT part is,
A,)The HDEF:
Code:
            {
                Store (Package (0x0A)
                    {
                        "codec-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x69, 0x02, 0xEC, 0x10
                        }, 
                        "layout-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x0D, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
                        }, 
                        "device-type", 
                        Buffer (0x0F)
                        {
                            "Realtek ALC269"
                        }, 
                        "hda-gfx", 
                        Buffer (0x0A)
                        {
                            "onboard-1"
                        }, 
                        "PinConfigurations", 
                        Buffer (Zero) {}
                    }, Local0)
                Return (Local0)
            }
B,)The GFX0:
Code:
            {
                Store (Package (0x04)
                    {
                        "hda-gfx", 
                        Buffer (0x0A)
                        {
                            "onboard-1"
                        }, 
                        "device-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x26, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
                        }
                    }, Local0)
                Return (Local0)
            }

3, Ethernet:
You can't download the driver from Realtek website, after installed the driver you must manually set it :
First, go to System Preferences--Network--Advanced--Hardware. Second, change "Configure" to "Manually", "Speed" to "10baseT/UTP", "Duplex" and "MTU" choose default setting. By doing this you can get ethernet work.

4, SD Card:
Works without mod, but there is a better way to do it, here it ishttp://www.insanelymac_.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=237068&view=findpost&p=1582928

Issues:
1, AMD6630m doesn't work, also the Intel HD3000 has some problem too. In my case, I can't the brightness works right, it means when you log in system, the screen brightness isn't a real level, a little hazy than normal. But if you let the screen sleep, and wake up it, it turn to normal, I think maybe there is something wrong with HD3000.
2, Chameleon doesn't recognize the default resolution when boot up, only the 1024x768 is listed the video info. So i resize the chameleon theme to fit it.

EXCELLENT!! Thank you very much! I have the ethernet working now :) Battery issue is also resolved!

I am still having problems occasionally with the USB ports not working. Sometimes the left two ports won't work, other times the back and right ports won't work, and rarely all four ports will not respond. Any idea what could be the issue here?

Also should I just get a micro-sized wireless-n usb adapter or go for the Dell WLAN 1510? It seems like a huge hassle to open it up from what i've seen so far from the diagrams and directions on dell website. Any suggestions on a micro-sized wireless-n usb adapter that is natively compatible with airport utility?

New results about internal mic input, see the screenshot. BUT the external mic input still don't work.

Attachments

• AppleHDA.kext.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2012-03-02 at 10.56.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-02 at 10.56.12 AM.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 338
  • Screen Shot 2012-03-02 at 10.58.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-02 at 10.58.11 AM.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 270
zprood said:
New results about internal mic input, see the screenshot. BUT the external mic input still don't work.

That kext file makes my system crash. Even with -v it doesn't stop the restart. When I click on the MACOSX icon to boot from boot menu, it immediately restarts.

What now?

jiggyp10 said:
zprood said:

That kext file makes my system crash. Even with -v it doesn't stop the restart. When I click on the MACOSX icon to boot from boot menu, it immediately restarts.

What now?
Do you edit your dsdt by inject hda-gfx both HDEF and GFX0 device? If not you should do it first, or you can boot in the windows to delete the AppleHDA.kext.

zprood said:
jiggyp10 said:
zprood said:

What now?
Do you edit your dsdt by inject hda-gfx both HDEF and GFX0 device? If not you should do it first, or you can boot in the windows to delete the AppleHDA.kext.

No I didnt. I currently use a boot menu to boot to Mac and Windows. I dont use DSDT.

Kernel Panic on boot or Grey Screen with spinning wheel

Tried following the guide for the install and did it all the steps, but when i reboot to get into lion install on the internal harddrive, all i get is kernel panic errors or just an apple screen with spinning wheel.
I have an core i3 processor with 4gb ram, dell inspiron 14-n4110( dell inspiron 14rn-1227bk)

Any insights would be helpful

Re: Kernel Panic on boot or Grey Screen with spinning wheel

coolindian2 said:
Tried following the guide for the install and did it all the steps, but when i reboot to get into lion install on the internal harddrive, all i get is kernel panic errors or just an apple screen with spinning wheel.
I have an core i3 processor with 4gb ram, dell inspiron 14-n4110( dell inspiron 14rn-1227bk)

Any insights would be helpful
Same for me, I had a fully working 10.7.2 copy of Lion and i wanted to try a dual boot with Windows so I installed windows first and ran Windows Update, and installed all the updates. It seems to me like some firmware upgrades to the system hardware might have broken the ability to install Lion. I've been trying for over a week to get it to work but I get the same error as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back