Contribute
Register

[Guide] Broadwell HD5500 Setting DVMT in InsydeH20 BIOS Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RehabMan - I agree that guessing can lead to bricking the laptop. You mention that another work around is a DVMT assertion masking patch? I've looked for a few guides and can't seem to find any on how to create one, do you have a resource I can look at? Thanks.

Suppose BIOS is in UEFI (secure off) and not legacy, I boot from the flash get to Efi Shell and setup_var, would it change something?

Suppose BIOS is in UEFI (secure off) and not legacy, I boot from the flash get to Efi Shell and setup_var, would it change something?

The only way to run the EFI shell is with UEFI enabled. Legacy enabled/disabled will not make a difference when booting UEFI media (although it matters when booting OS X due to the way graphics may be initialized differently depending on legacy option).

The only way to run the EFI shell is with UEFI enabled. Legacy enabled/disabled will not make a difference when booting UEFI media (although it matters when booting OS X due to the way graphics may be initialized differently depending on legacy option).

Thanks for confirming this Rehabman, and this Guide needs a serious correction, several people reported not being able to boot from usb flash and it is because the guide is saying
1. At this point you need to reboot your computer in legacy mode with the previously prepared USB stick, use your bios boot menu or hot key to select boot device and select the USB stick. Boot into the USB and it will give you a DOS prompt.
which doesn't work, boot from file, either from the Clover Shell or the Boot Manager will not work as well : setup_var looking for variable/offset and doing nothing. In the end what worked for me was to put BIOS boot in UEFI not secured as, and you said it, there is no sense in trying to run the EFI Shell in legacy.

Thanks for confirming this Rehabman, and this Guide needs a serious correction, several people reported not being able to boot from usb flash and it is because the guide is saying
which doesn't work, boot from file, either from the Clover Shell or the Boot Manager will not work as well : setup_var looking for variable/offset and doing nothing. In the end what worked for me was to put BIOS boot in UEFI not secured as, and you said it, there is no sense in trying to run the EFI Shell in legacy.

Sometimes you have to ignore things that are clearly wrong.

A UEFI shell cannot be booted in legacy mode (even though legacy mode may be enabled), so you just have to ignore stuff that doesn't make sense.

Hi everyone. Guys, I followed this instruction and when I made #G.IDENTIFY THE BIOS ROM FILE I can't find enyone file, which starting with FE3542FE.
What do I do wrong ? Thank you.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 226
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 166
What is your GPU/mobo? You shouldn't have a GUID new image section under DXE core something fishy here.

What is your GPU/mobo? You shouldn't have a GUID new image section under DXE core something fishy here.

Please, look here, this is my export from aida64

Attachments

• Report-Dell3543-summary.txt
    32.5 KB · Views: 198
I have 2 problems to solve and get success. :banghead:

1. When I try to change my DVMT with EFI Shell throws this message:

error: can't set variable using efi (error: 0x000000000000001a)

I tried many times and nothing. I tried with 0x1, 0x2, 0x3, 0x4, 0x5, 0x6 but nothing, recently ten days ago I update my BIOS when I tried to change DVMT for first time. The complete message is under of this line attached in a file ...

View attachment Message GRUB EFI.txt

My DVMT assigned in windows 8.1 or 10 is 128MB and when I tried to change to 96 MB using 0x3 throws that error. I tried to downgrade my BIOS but there is not info about it in Lenovo website.

2. When I tried to create or patch my DSDT.aml but i can't because when save changes throws an error like this:

DSDT Original.pngDSDT with part to modified.pngDSDT error when save changes.png

This is my DSDT extracted with DCPI Manager 1.5 ... View attachment DSDT.aml

And this is my DSDT, SSDT4 and SSDT5 extracted using ubuntu linux and command lines ...
View attachment DSDT.aml ; View attachment SSDT4.aml ; View attachment SSDT5.aml

I saw that there is and another chance to solve this about my graphic card making changes AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer binary, but i don't know what's the correct way to do it step by step. :beachball:

Please maybe someone to help me with my problems. Big Thanks. o_O

Resume of my experience installation:

I have a Lenovo Z70-80 with Intel HD Graphics 5500 and Nvidia 840M and I disabled Nvidia card setting like UMA Only.

I have to say that in past October I could install osx 10.11 using Unibeast in UEFI Mode, in that moment i booted and run without problems except the real and complete info of Intel Video Card because appear like 7 MB assigned. Before that moment i dont care to change my DVMT because i installed it but i knew that was necessary to patch a special file or get a special kext. Initially I try to change my DVMT without success. After release the new unibeast 6.0.1 and I thought this fixit the error with graphic card, i don't know, but it was worse, I couldn't create a new stick installer until before days that I started to read many threads about how to create the correct usb stick using clover.

Then Now I got a new and almost perfect usb stick installer for my laptop using this guide

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

I used the basic kexts and other things but without config.plist suggested for Rehabman because this include Inject Intel Graphics with 0x16160002 and nonetheless I couldn't run correctly because it was necessary inject ig-platform-id manually with this 0x16160000 or 0x16160002 with any worked and I could install OSX 10.11.1. Instead I used the config.plist that I have in one hard drive when I installed OSX in my laptop for fist time using unibeast 6.0, with this I can install without to write nothing because it run automatically.

Finally I can load OSX and install other kext and apps but my Intel Graphics card only works with 7 MB. I need that this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back