Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting The USB Installer Using OpenCore

i format the usbdisk with HFS+ guid map but only one partition found ..cannot finf the efi parition for open core
you don't format the usb disk as hfs

# repartition /dev/disk6 MBR, two partitions

# first partition, “OPEN CORE” FAT32, 400MiB

# second partition, "install_osx", HFS+J, remainder

diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk6 2 MBR FAT32 "CLOVER EFI" 400Mi HFS+J "install_osx" R
i used this on terminal command for clover bootloader ..one partition for clover and 2nd partition for macosx installation... but in open core it's difficult to do it..please help

# repartition /dev/disk6 MBR, two partitions

# first partition, “OPEN CORE” FAT32, 400MiB

# second partition, "install_osx", HFS+J, remainder

diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk6 2 MBR FAT32 "CLOVER EFI" 400Mi HFS+J "install_osx" R
i used this on terminal command for clover bootloader ..one partition for clover and 2nd partition for macosx installation... but in open core it's difficult to do it..please help
that is for clover and not opencore

start again from post 1, you are only making a recovery usb stick in this guide

to format hfs partition, then you need to use a mac

@Feartech

Hey, just had a quick question. If I were to use a Mac to create my installer USB (I was able to find a compatible one to download from the Mac App Store), the network kext isn't necessary, even though your EFI folder has the network kext included. Should I do an OC snapshot in ProperTree for a new config.plist, or should I just delete whichever number (under the Kernel category of config.plist) the network kext is in (for example, in your example the network kext is #8)? Thanks!

Hi guys!
I followed this guide to boot from an usb installer created by Mac.
I got a lot of errors and the boot process stuck as reported in this thread.
Do you have suggestions?
Thanks so much.

Ivan

@Feartech

Hey, just had a quick question. If I were to use a Mac to create my installer USB (I was able to find a compatible one to download from the Mac App Store), the network kext isn't necessary, even though your EFI folder has the network kext included. Should I do an OC snapshot in ProperTree for a new config.plist, or should I just delete whichever number (under the Kernel category of config.plist) the network kext is in (for example, in your example the network kext is #8)? Thanks!
yes, you can just edit the config.plist and disable or delete kexts that are not needed for your setup

only use kexts that are needed for your system

Hi @Feartech
I followed your guide, i am at the part where i have to replace the EFI
Now my question is: Do I need to make any changes to your EFI? As i have a skylake too i7-6700

Hi @Feartech
I followed your guide, i am at the part where i have to replace the EFI
Now my question is: Do I need to make any changes to your EFI? As i have a skylake too i7-6700
for your desktop?

then you will need to change the smbios to iMac17,1

remove:
VoodooPS2Controller from kexts folder and config.plist

you will need to check as to which network card you have and replace the realtek if needs be

for your desktop?

remove:

you will need to check as to which network card you have and replace the realtek if needs be
I see, so VoodooPS2 Controller has to be removed and change smbios
I'll remove realtek as I don't use ethernet
is there anything else to do?
Also i have a GT 710
Do i need to make changes for that?

Last edited:
for your desktop?

remove:

also is USBInjectall needed? I had that in my clover EFI

Back