Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover

Installing Windows is easy. Create free space to accomodate, then boot the Windows installer in UEFI mode.

I boot in windows installer (not from clover menu, as it gets stuck and gives error for memory allocations, etc.) but from the BIOS boot menu. When I try to install it it says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk had MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can be only installed on GPT disks. Where as I installed yosemite on the same hard disk with GUID partition table.

I boot in windows installer (not from clover menu, as it gets stuck and gives error for memory allocations, etc.) but from the BIOS boot menu. When I try to install it it says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk had MBR partition table.

Your mistake was creating Windows partitions (eg. shown as MS-DOS) in Disk Utility.

As I wrote above you must create only "free space" for Windows, not real partitions.

By creating Windows partitions in Disk Utility, you created an MBR/GPT hybrid as required by BootCamp. Windows sees this as MBR, and UEFI Windows can install only to GPT.

Always read carefully.

Your mistake was creating Windows partitions (eg. shown as MS-DOS) in Disk Utility.

As I wrote above you must create only "free space" for Windows, not real partitions.

By creating Windows partitions in Disk Utility, you created an MBR/GPT hybrid as required by BootCamp. Windows sees this as MBR, and UEFI Windows can install only to GPT.

Always read carefully.

Oh got it thanks for the explanation my mistake, but I don't think so there is any way of doing it now as we can't edit the hardisk partition system, as have already installed yosemite on it, rather going through whole process again?

Thanks Again!

Oh got it thanks for the explanation my mistake, but I don't think so there is any way of doing it now as we can't edit the hardisk partition system, as have already installed yosemite on it, rather going through whole process again?

Thanks Again!

Delete the partitions you created for Windows. You can use gparted in Linux.

Use Disk Utility to partition your USB. Partition format can be MBR or GPT (read note below for correct GPT setup) but beware that some computers will not boot UEFI to a GPT USB. First partition 200MB (or larger) "MS-DOS" (FAT32), and another for the OS X installer in HFS+J format. Name the first FAT32 partition "CLOVER EFI" -- this is where you will install the Clover bootloader. Name the second partition "install_osx".

Note: If you're using Clover legacy, the USB should definitely be MBR.

Note: Some BIOS implementations require GPT, some require MBR (many allow both). If you can't get BIOS to recognize your USB for booting, try GPT instead of MBR as above. The only difference with a GPT setup is that you create only one partition. The Clover install options remain the same, although Clover ends up installing to the hidden EFI partition on the USB.

Wait, so do you create two partitions regardless of whether you choose GPT or MBR? Or do you only create two partitions if doing MBR because with GPT "you create only one partition"

Wait, so do you create two partitions regardless of whether you choose GPT or MBR? Or do you only create two partitions if doing MBR because with GPT "you create only one partition"

GPT = one partition (system creates hidden EFI partition)
MBR = two partitions (no automatic EFI, so we need to create it ourselves)

GPT = one partition (system creates hidden EFI partition)
MBR = two partitions (no automatic EFI, so we need to create it ourselves)

Okay so I'm going to guess my BIOS supports GPT (is there a way to check?). On the USB do I just format it with one Mac OSX Extended Partition named "install_osx"?

(Also do the names matter)

Sorry for all my questions. Thank you for all the help!

Okay so I'm going to guess my BIOS supports GPT (is there a way to check?).

No way to check other than to try it.

On the USB do I just format it with one Mac OSX Extended Partition named "install_osx"?

Correct.

(Also do the names matter)

The commands given in the guide depend on the specific names.

Hi RehabMan,
I'm using your plist to boot into yosemite
In your plist i found a patch to enable hdmi sound and i'd like to use it, i tried some combination but none of them work
Can you help me with this?

FYI, i'm using VoodooHDA kext to enable my sound, is this a problem?
Thanks

Hi RehabMan,
I'm using your plist to boot into yosemite
In your plist i found a patch to enable hdmi sound and i'd like to use it, i tried some combination but none of them work
Can you help me with this?

FYI, i'm using VoodooHDA kext to enable my sound, is this a problem?
Thanks

The patches are for HDMI audio using AppleHDA.

Back