Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover

Assuming you plan to boot Windows UEFi...

Don't create any Windows partitions in Disk Utility. Instead, allow for free space. Then create the partitions in the Windows installer itself.

If plan is to boot Windows legacy, you need a separate HDD/SSD for that...

and can i install in this laptop windows in UEFI?

("Install boot0ss in MBR" for HDD install if dual-boot Windows)

before install the windows, i have to install clover in the Intalled MacOSX on my pc. then i sould select the "Install boot0ss in MBR" so that i can have dual-boot right? all the other notes from the HDD install are the same?

before install the windows, i have to install clover in the Intalled MacOSX on my pc. then i sould select the "Install boot0ss in MBR" so that i can have dual-boot right? all the other notes from the HDD install are the same?

That's my understanding from reading the Clover documentation.

I'm using UEFI on all my systems. I don't have anything old enough to have legacy only.

That's my understanding from reading the Clover documentation.

I'm using UEFI on all my systems. I don't have anything old enough to have legacy only.

cant get it to install windows 7.... it sees the USB Drive i can open it but i dont load the installation... and also the USB Drive appears as 3 options

1. Boot Microsoft EFI mgrboot menu from USB
2. Boot Microsoft EFI cdboot menu from USB
3. Boot windows from USB

none of them loads the installation but i can open any of them and it just dont happen nothing.

cant get it to install windows 7.... it sees the USB Drive i can open it but i dont load the installation... and also the USB Drive appears as 3 options

1. Boot Microsoft EFI mgrboot menu from USB
2. Boot Microsoft EFI cdboot menu from USB
3. Boot windows from USB

none of them loads the installation but i can open any of them and it just dont happen nothing.

You need to get it to run bootmgfw.efi from the USB. If I recall correctly, you have to move some files around from the Win7 image. You can google it...

I am having a problem with getting the USB installer to boot. I have prepared a MBR USB of 8BG with two partitions: 250MB FAT32 for Clover and the rest (HFS+) for the installer. I downloaded a config.plist from https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config and I picked the last one (for 5500).

View attachment config.plist.zip

This is not my first clover install, I have previously installed on a Latitude e5440, but this time I am stumped. The previous installer was made with clover legacy boot, this one is with EFI. Clover loads fine. When I try to boot the installer I just get the message that root device is [####] followed by a line of asterix and then nothing.

I have the following kexts in my EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder:
FakeSMC.kext
GenericUSBXHCI.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
VoodoPS2Controller.kext

My system details are:
System: Toshiba Satellite S50-B-14X
CPU: Core i5-5200u
Graphics: HD 5500 / Radeon R7 M260 (1920x1080)

I know that I have no hope to get the R7 M260 working, but I would be happy with just HD5500. I also know that my wireless card will not work, but I will address that once I get the thing booting. No point in spending my precious cash on a wifi card if the thing won't even boot. I am also aware that Broadwell CPUs can be a bit fiddly with the graphics, but since the installer won't even start booting I did not think that is the issue. I have not loaded the ethernet kext, but I can do that once I get the installer to boot.

My lspci output is:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Host Bridge -OPI (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics (rev 09)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB xHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP MEI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev e3)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev e3)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev e3)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev e3)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI Mode] (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SMBus Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
07:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3160 (rev cb)
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
09:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260]

At this point I don't know whether I am doing something stupid or if there is some serious problem with getting this system to boot. I tried once with a legacy boot USB but it did not work. I can try some more with legacy boot, but I would not have thought that was the issue since Clover loads fine. Other than that I don't know what to do.

I am having a problem with getting the USB installer to boot. I have prepared a MBR USB of 8BG with two partitions: 250MB FAT32 for Clover and the rest (HFS+) for the installer. I downloaded a config.plist from https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config and I picked the last one (for 5500).

View attachment 151532

This is not my first clover install, I have previously installed on a Latitude e5440, but this time I am stumped. The previous installer was made with clover legacy boot, this one is with EFI. Clover loads fine. When I try to boot the installer I just get the message that root device is [####] followed by a line of asterix and then nothing.

Post EFI/Clover folder.

I have the following kexts in my EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder:
FakeSMC.kext
GenericUSBXHCI.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
VoodoPS2Controller.kext

Wrong kexts. Follow the guide carefully. Use GenericUSBXHCI.kext only if needed.

NullCPU is never needed with Clover.

RehabMan,
Im having trouble booting into El Capitan this is what happens when the installer stalls
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpeg

Back