Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover

I got Kernel Panic. Looks like there's an issue with the framebuffer. Will try to use an invalid ig-platform-id.

IMG_20180218_140538006_BURST006_1.jpg

I am using the appropriate config.plist for HD5500 and didn't make any changes to it other than the file name.

Booting into my current Sierra install via a USB installer made following this guide, I get a garbled screen. There's something amiss in the graphics area for sure.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm using El Capitan (v10.11.6) on my ProBook 4540s, and I followed this guide step by step (to the best of my knowledge) to prepare a new USB to be able to install High Sierra fresh(*) but the USB reaches the Clover GUI and after selecting the install_osx option, it starts for a while then freezes!

I've enabled the booting log option "Debug" in the "config.plist" to be able to track any visible errors o_O as a helper:
Code:
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>

This option is from: https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Boot

The file is not attached, b'cos I'm a bit paranoid with any sensitive info that might be included! If required, please let me know if it's good to post online.

The snapshot of contents of "drivers64UEFI" and "kexts" of the USB is attached if it's any good. In addition, I attached the snapshot of the last error displayed after the booting with "Debug" option enabled, where the boot hangs.

Any help greatly appreciated.

* NB: I've tried to install High Sierra as a direct update, but it fails on booting! I think with the same error; it hangs, and the option is still visible on Clover booting GUI on every boot!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 11.23.48 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 11.23.48 PM.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    431.9 KB · Views: 84
I got Kernel Panic. Looks like there's an issue with the framebuffer. Will try to use an invalid ig-platform-id.

IMG_20180218_140538006_BURST006_1.jpg

I am using the appropriate config.plist for HD5500 and didn't make any changes to it other than the file name.

Booting into my current Sierra install via a USB installer made following this guide, I get a garbled screen. There's something amiss in the graphics area for sure.

Read post #1 regarding DVMT-prealloc.

Hi,

I'm using El Capitan (v10.11.6) on my ProBook 4540s, and I followed this guide step by step (to the best of my knowledge) to prepare a new USB to be able to install High Sierra fresh(*) but the USB reaches the Clover GUI and after selecting the install_osx option, it starts for a while then freezes!

I've enabled the booting log option "Debug" in the "config.plist" to be able to track any visible errors o_O as a helper:
Code:
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>

This option is from: https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Boot

The file is not attached, b'cos I'm a bit paranoid with any sensitive info that might be included! If required, please let me know if it's good to post online.

The snapshot of contents of "drivers64UEFI" and "kexts" of the USB is attached if it's any good. In addition, I attached the snapshot of the last error displayed after the booting with "Debug" option enabled, where the boot hangs.

Any help greatly appreciated.

* NB: I've tried to install High Sierra as a direct update, but it fails on booting! I think with the same error; it hangs, and the option is still visible on Clover booting GUI on every boot!

Open a separate thread.
Then attach problem reporting files.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

You should install all kexts you need (including FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller, etc) to /Library/Extensions (/L/E) ...

Of course, essential kexts should be installed to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other as they are needed to boot the installer (during updates) or the recovery partition.

Your guide on booting Clover on laptops says to put FakeSMC and VoodooPS2Controller in EFI/Clover/kexts. So from the above, does that mean that I should also place these two kexts into /L/E as well?

Your guide on booting Clover on laptops says to put FakeSMC and VoodooPS2Controller in EFI/Clover/kexts. So from the above, does that mean that I should also place these two kexts into /L/E as well?

FakeSMC.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext are typically considered part of both sets "essential" and "kexts you need".

@RehabMan

I have 3 USB 3 ports. I created the installer using the createmedialInstall. My laptop reboots right after the attached vbose image displays. What could be wrong?

Additional clover pictures have been attached. Thank you.

Attachments

• Vbose Screen.png
    Vbose Screen.png
    661.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Clover Folder.png
    Clover Folder.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Driver64UEFI folder.png
    Driver64UEFI folder.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Kext Folder.png
    Kext Folder.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 105
I've got ACPI Errors and Exceptions during boot. It's frozen at this point.
IMG_20180223_101318888[1].jpg

The USB installer's Clover is included below.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
Back