Graphics
Nvidia gtx 750ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
BE CAREFULL, THIS GUIDE IS PROBABLY OUTDATED, BUT MAYBE SOMETHING HERE WILL HELP.

So, here we go.

First of all, THANKS to everyone here in tonymacx86.com, and specially to tony, andy, macman, netkas... you guys really rock :headbang:

Second, this guide is working for me and my set, i will try to help anyone, but keep in mind im not a guru, i just read a lot from them. Use this guide at your own risk, an of course BACKUP if you have something valuable on your disks.

And third, i'm just throwing here all that went ok for me just to save time to anyone who get on this. If ANYONE wants to add something, it would help us all.

So:

1. What you need for this guide. (attachments and links at the end of the guide)
- An asus P8P67-M-Pro (should work with almost any P8P67 from asus, but that's a guess)
- An ATI 5770 card with reference board design (but any ATI supported on 10.6.7 apple kext should be ok)
- An empty sata disk (I'm not using dual boot, and dont know how to do btw)
- A compatible SATA DVD reader (or writer)
- Your Snow Leopard retail DVD
- Apple 10.6.7 update combo <<< the full combo update¡¡¡
- ^Andy^ boot CD.
- ^Andy^ Install package (its also on CD, maybe someone more experienced can use just MB)
- Multibeast 3.4.0
- SB ¿"enhanced"? FakeSMC and IntelCpuMonitor.kext (from another thread here, links below)

2. Pre-Installation steps.
1. Burn everything to CD and DVD and check they are working properly (that would have saved me a lot of time)
2. Unplug / Disconnect ANY device you're not gonna need, leave it just on OSX disk, DVD reader, mouse and keyboard.
3. Enter your EFI Bios, go on Exit / Advanced mode at the top right corner, and select "Load Optimized Defaults" (we will tune this after installation)
4. Go again on top right corner, and click "Advanced mode"
5. Now make sure you have AHCI enabled under SATA config
6. Look around Southbridge and USB settings, and disable Sound (yes), USB3 and Marvell Integrated SATA controller. (will try to post some photos here, but thats easy enought for the geeks reading this :p )
7. Save settings and reboot

3. Install.
1. Put the ^Andy^ Bootcd into your DVD reader/writer and press F8 while your EFI Bios screen shows.
2. Select Boot from DVD
3. Wait until ^Andy^ Bootcd load, and then eject ^Andy^ Bootcd and insert your original Snow Leopard retail DVD.
4. After some seconds, press F5, you should see your Snow Leopard DVD loads. Select it and press enter.
5. Go over the setup process as u wish, but make sure you use disk utility to erase disk and make it HFS/Journaled, just in case.
6. When installation completes, you will not be able to boot. Swap your SL disk with ^Andy^ Bootcd again. remember press F8 to boot from DVD.
7. Wait until ^Andy^ Bootcd loads and now you will see your SATA disk with the working installation. Select your disk and press enter.
8. Now you should be booting on Snow Leopard :thumbup: you need to install 10.6.7 combo update now.
9. When 10.6.7 finish DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING ELSE :banghead: (i did) 10.6.7 does some works before restart. Reboot again using ^Andy^ Bootcd.
10. Ok, now copy over your desktop ^Andy^ P8P67-Pro package installer and Multibeast. IMPORTANT - COPY THEM TO YOUR DESKTOP
11. Run ^Andy^ Package installer.
12. Reboot again, but now you should not need ^Andy^ Bootcd :clap:
13. Now open multibeast, and go under drivers, and select:
  • - lnx2mac RTL8xxx driver
    - Go under sound and select: IMPORTANT < THIS IS ONLY FOR MY MOBO WITH ALC892
    > Realtek ALCxx
    [list:ldr3zm7h] > ALC8xxHDA (Select)
    > AppleHDA Rollback
    > Non-DSDT HDAEnabler
    > ALC892 (Select)
- select also system utilites (permissions and cache)[/list:u:ldr3zm7h]
14. Reboot AND ENTER BIOS
15. Go to Advanced and ENABLE SOUND. Save and reboot.
16. Reboot.
We're done!! now just fine tuning, almost there.

4. Fine tunning / settings.
[quote:ldr3zm7h]
1. Virtualization: By default it is disabled in BIOS, you should go and enable it. Not that this will be an issue, but i use Parallels a lot, and it does not work without it. It's under CPU features
2. Getting temperature readings: we need to take FakeSMC and IntelCPUMonitor as discused here: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=17423
BE CAREFUL: Using terminal, delete FakeSMC from /Extra/Extensions and replace it with the one linked here. Copy IntelCpuMonitor too to get the temperatures. (i use atMonitor to read em) (will detail this more when some success reports from the "pro" users come)
3. smbios.plist (DDR3 cosmetic speed fix)
You should be seeing your DDR3 ram as 800mhz under system profiler, thats a cosmetic issue but one we can take rid off just editing /Extra/Extensions/smbios.plist

This is what i added
Code:
        <key>SMmemspeed</key>
        <string>1333</string>
        <key>SMmemtype</key>
        <string>24</string>
This works for my G.Skill DDR3 CL7 1333 modules. and should work for you too since its just cosmetic. You will need to google around to see what values you need for 1666 or 2000mhz memory.
4. Enabling turbo. (on test now, wil update soon, for beta purpose only)
Asus boards seems to have no problem with multipliers, but also seems turbo does not kick off by itself, so you are not going to enjoy overclock neither.
By now, the only way to enable this is to sacrifice energy saving features. For my i5 2400, this is what i did.

• Go into Bios > advanced > cpu and disable:
    - EIST (enhanced intel speedstep)
    - Disable C-states (3 of them, they are just under EIST)
    - Put your default multiplier to whatever value you want. (for my i5 2400 38 is max)
with this i'm getting 5.4 cpu points on Cinebench vs 4.6 before, so turbo must be working now. Speed is recognized as 3.1Ghz still.
[/quote:ldr3zm7h]

5. Issues pending
- Not tested and not installed USB3, eSATA, Firewire....
- Energy saving and sleep.
- Graphics performance: Since this gets you on Apple ATI Kext, it's not going to perform as good as with GraphicsEnabler=Yes was on 10.6.6, dont ask me why. It's stable (apart from DVD and geekbench issue) NOTE: ITS DAMN FAST, don't think you will notice, im talking here of about 5-10% loss, SC2 for example goes at full detail no issues.

Re: P8P67-M-Pro + i5 2400 + 16GB + 5770

oook, next level

Method:

Andy Boot CD + Andy Guide

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=252849

Intel LAN is not present on this mobo, so you have to install lnx2mac Realtek 80xx driver. You can do this from Multibeast.

Onboard Sound is not working, not an issue for me because i use an external DAC anyway. I guess using Multibeast should work, i'll test later.

System recognized as MacbookPro 8,1.

All 4 cores, i5 info and 16GB ok, but mem showed as 800Mhz in sys profile. (not an issue, i guess this is cosmetic)

I did not touch anything on bios apart from enabling XMP for my Gskill to work on CL7 and Asus Smartfan. (btw i disabled usb3 and marvell sata, but thats not modifying)

Will not try:

USB 3.0 (Disabled in bios, im not using)
Marvell SATA (Disabled in bios, im not using)

Novabench scores at 1253 points.... and video is scoring like 10-15% lower than on my Core2Duo E8500... Core2Duo was on 1053 points. I was specting a little more.

Ill gather some reference scores and put them here.

Ok, this build should be considered as a success, with Andy guide + some help from multibeast i have a fully functional hack.

It should deliver some more power btw.

Sound works!!, im using optical out without any issues.

Hi emaf :wave:
I'm waiting for my new Sandy Bridge's configuration:

- ASUS P8P67-M PRO
- Intel i5-2500K
- 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X @1600MHz 7-8-7-24

I've just prepared some Boot CD (^Andy^, iBoot and iBoot Legacy) and my Snow Leopard DVD retail :thumbup:
I'll try soon to install SL and post here my results.
Can you post here your BIOS settings?
Waht kexts are you using on both S/L/E and E/E?
What about SpeedStep? Is working or not?
And what about sleep and deep sleep?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english, I'm italian.

Simone ;)

Do not worry about english, im spanish :mrgreen: bad english as well...

btw, i'll be working on the road for next 4 days, i'll get back by the weekend, and throw some time to a more "serious" guide.

long story short, everything needed is working (including sound, all the i/o). current issues:

USB3 Not tested (no need)
Firewire Not tested (no need for me)
Sleep or Deep Sleep disabled (i think this is not going to work until we get a good edited DSDT)
Turbo: cant say if its working, the machine goes very fast... but i cannot get any speed lectures or temperatures (but it is damnly fresh hardware)...

Im pretty sure this board can be 99% functional.

we'll keep talking

Thanks for the infos man.
When I'll have a SL installation (I hope soon) I'll start testing system.

Audio works with kexts of Multibeast?

For USB3 there is a kext, I'll test it.

Same here for the Firewire, I don't have a peripheral device to test it.

I know that some people are working to get sleep and deep sleep working pacthing ACPI tables (look at this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... try1663125).

Cheers from Italy.

Simone

Audio is working with multibeast, for sleep and deep sleep, i'm waiting until someone get an aproved DSDT edit for this mobo here.

I'm more concerned about performance, i want to know if it's running as fast as it can (no OC).

On the other hand, i would like to improve graphics, i know i have room here because i was getting like 1400fps on novabench graphic test with my old G41+E8500 set with the same card, while i barely do 1200 now. I'm now on Apple's 10.6.7 kext now. (graphics enabler = no)

i'm getting home today, more to come this weekend.

Try revoboot! This could probably be one of the best SB boards.

DutchHockeyPro (you go girl)....Master Chief's daughter is using this board and is being mentored by one of the true MASTERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back