Contribute
Register

[Guide] Avoid APFS conversion on High Sierra update or fresh install

Problems likely. Probably depends on specific NVMe SSD and firmware installed on it.

Is this also true when using NVMe drives in Sierra (making the drive visible by running your script to spoof stuff), or ist it specific to High Sierra? AFAIU somthing changed in HS about how 3rd party SSDs are managed/recognized by OSX
Tx
-a-

Is this also true when using NVMe drives in Sierra (making the drive visible by running your script to spoof stuff), or ist it specific to High Sierra? AFAIU somthing changed in HS about how 3rd party SSDs are managed/recognized by OSX
Tx
-a-

APFS is not available (for system volumes) in Sierra.

Hi @RehabMan,
I am using 960 EVO M2 and am suffering slow boot which stuck on "apfs_mount_update:17785: er: mount check: ro->rw update". It seems cannot disable Trim on it.
For my situation, is the best way to reinstall MacOS and avoid the APFS Convert?

Hi @RehabMan,
I am using 960 EVO M2 and am suffering slow boot which stuck on "apfs_mount_update:17785: er: mount check: ro->rw update". It seems cannot disable Trim on it.
For my situation, is the best way to reinstall MacOS and avoid the APFS Convert?

Yes.

Only to be 100% sure here, if I start the macOS 10.13.1 updater with this command:
/Applications/"Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense

It still will update to High Sierra WITHOUT APFS conversion? And I do not need to choose any extra option while installation?

Thanks in advance!

P.S: I have TRIM enabled currently on my 10.12.6 evo850. Will it cause any problems?

Only to be 100% sure here, if I start the macOS 10.13.1 updater with this command:
/Applications/"Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense

It still will update to High Sierra WITHOUT APFS conversion? And I do not need to choose any extra option while installation?

Correct.

Thanks! Can I then later still convert the SSD system partition to APFS, even if I booted on that partition?

You can convert to APFS with startosinstall --converttoapfs YES

Back