Contribute
Register

[Guide] ASUS ZENBOOK UX305FA using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's done now!
Thank you Piker's Alpha.

We can get our UX305FA working as a MacBook8,1 with PowerManagement!

This is the way:

1.) I edit the Mac-BE0E8AC46FE800CC.plist with correct CPUFloor (500) and change 2400 under Frequencies into 2000, Change "0d000000" into "08000000" under FrequencyVectors (Item-0) and Change "18000000 01000000" into "14000000 01000000" under FrequencyVectors (Item-0).
2.) Backup Mac-189A3D4F975D5FFC.plist in the resource directory.
3.) Replace Mac-189A3D4F975D5FFC.plist with Mac-BE0E8AC46FE800CC.plist
4.) Reboot with -f.
Result: Success! (See attach).

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2016-02-24 a las 6.18.31 a.m..png
    Captura de pantalla 2016-02-24 a las 6.18.31 a.m..png
    298.6 KB · Views: 135
  • proof.png
    proof.png
    883.2 KB · Views: 168
I have tried to fix the HDMI audio with the solo AppleHDA with DummyHDA as gfoury and RehabMan have suggested and used several different guides. I have changed the config.plist for clover too (adding from the masterl UX305fa list at https://github.com/gfoury/UX305FA-DSDT-Patch with gfoury's guide). Now I think I have made it worse! Instead of having audio aside from HDMI, I now have NO audio at all (no devices are even detected anymore). My battery display is also gone even though I didn't change anything with battery management (I've left RehabMan's advice about power management since I last mentioned it because I've been trying to fix the HDMI issue [which has escalated, hence this panicked plea for help]).

I've attached my ioreg, a zipped copy of my sdd efi partition, and a zipped copy of my S/L/E (4 parts: S/L/E_A-A, S/L/E_A-D, S/L/E_E-I, S/L/E_J-X). Hopefully with them you can help pinpoint the exact mistakes to fix and give me advice.

I have a backup plan to go into time machine, restore from a couple of days ago to when the only issues were HDMI audio and apparently power management and then try again, but I would rather learn from my mistakes to understand everything better. I was also worried that my S/L/E folder and sdd EFI would still be as they are now after all the editing. If I were to revert back to the most successful version of my computer, should I fix the power management first and then HDMI audio, and if so which guide for each do you suggest with the most success for the UX305fa? First things first though, please point out solutions for my issues now, unless you think that I'm past the point of redemption and should retrace my steps to a couple of days ago.

These are also the links I've been following the instructions of. Which of them should I continue following and which are leading me astray? There are others, but these are the main ones.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-guides/185917-guide-asus-zenbook-ux305fa-el-capitan.html
https://github.com/gfoury/UX305FA-DSDT-Patch
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...udio-voodoohda-and-applehda-at-the-same-time/
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...01-guide-native-power-management-laptops.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/173616-guide-10-11-usb-changes-solutions.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

Attachments

• Jacob's Zenhackbook.ioreg
    2.2 MB · Views: 118
  • EFI copy (when mounted).zip
    22.2 MB · Views: 167
  • S:L:E_A-A.zip
    94.7 MB · Views: 113
  • S:L:E_A-D.zip
    15.8 MB · Views: 78
  • S:L:E_E-I.zip
    97 MB · Views: 97
  • S:L:E:_J-X.zip
    8.3 MB · Views: 78
It sounds like the machine is in a state you can't identify. I hate it when that happens to me (and it does happen to me more often than I care to admit.) It's really frustrating. The rest of the advice in this message is to get you back to "normal".

If you do use Time Machine to do restores, be careful with Migration Assistant. It can restore bad kexts too. I bet that's where your JMicronATA kext came from. I like to run "sudo cp -r /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions-stock" so I can see what Migration Assistant did to me. Another neat trick before MA runs is to open /S/L/E in the Finder, then change the color of all the original items to blue--if MA puts stuff there, it won't be blue.

Both of your AppleHDA.kext and AppleHDA.kext.bak are very different than the one in 10.11.3.
Code:
$ diff -ur upstream/AppleHDA.kext sle/AppleHDA.kext | grep 'Binary files.*differ' | awk '{print $3}'
upstream/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA
upstream/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHALPlugIn.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDAHALPlugIn
upstream/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver
upstream/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleMikeyDriver.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleMikeyDriver
upstream/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/DspFuncLib.kext/Contents/MacOS/DspFuncLib
upstream/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOHDAFamily
You should get a stock copy, since the anerik70/gfoury audio solution only works with stock as far as I know. Heck, you should have a stock copy around anyway. :)

By the way, I was wrong when I told you to get the kext from the 10.11.3 updater. It is not complete in the updater:

Code:
$ diff -ur upstream/AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/ | head -5
Only in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources: Dutch.lproj
Only in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources: English.lproj
Only in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources: French.lproj
Only in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources: German.lproj
Only in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources: Italian.lproj

If you went down that path, I am sorry I led you there. I can tell you what should be in a stock AppleHDA.kext, but I can't give you a copy (site rules). You could get a copy of AppleHDA.kext from another Mac running 10.11.3; or you could install 10.11.3, either on your UX305FA or a different machine.

If you're following my guide's way of patching ACPI:

In EFI/ACPI/patched, you have: SSDT-BATT.dsl SSDT-DEBUG.dsl SSDT-HACK.dsl SSDT-RMNE.dsl. You need the AML version. Either compile them yourself (iasl *.dsl) or run "make" inside UX305FA-DSDT-Patch, which will create the compiled versions in the build directory.

If you're following my guide's way of patching ACPI:

You don't want or need the DSDT or the numeric SSDT-[0-9] files. Here's what you should expect in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched:

SSDT-BATT.aml SSDT-DEBUG.aml SSDT-HACK.aml SSDT.aml ssdt-rmne.aml

If you're not following my guide:

You need to use somebody else's config.plist. Unless you have SSDT-BATT.aml :), then my config.plist will definitely...break your battery meter. So that's easy to explain. What you would want to steal from my config.plist are just the two patches I pointed out, for AppleHDA Conexant and the Intel framebuffer.

In either case, you don't need the following kexts:

ACPIBacklight.kext (IntelBacklight.kext is better)
XHCI-x99-Injector (UX305FA works fine without it)
JMicronATA (this kext is like a zombie, it's been following us for years)

As far as power management goes, I don't see anything wrong. It's a shame your AppleIntelInfo crashes, because that's easy feedback on whether the CPU speed is changing. The Intel Power Gadget might be another choice.

I'm out of time. I can look more later.

I've attached my ioreg,

According to ioreg:
- layout-id is not being injected or is being injected as zero. layout-id zero is not valid. Audio not expected to work. This is true of both HDEF and HDAU.
- hda-gfx not injected on HDAU (it is required)
- hda-gfx not injected on IGPU (it is required)
- AppleIntelFramebuffer@2 is patched for HDMI, but not AppleIntelFramebuffer@1. This is fine if your HDMI port corresponds to @2. If in doubt, patch both.

I've added a section describing what hotpatching does to the UX305 El Capitan guide. I hadn't realized how confusing it was to people coming from "traditional" text-based patching.

@RehabMan: HDMI audio works for me, but I don't think I'm injecting layout-id into HDAU, just hda-gfx. I do see "layout-id: 0x03 0x00 0x00 0x00" on HDAU in IORegistryExplorer. It could be Clover's own patches (haven't checked) or perhaps another 10.11.3 change?

I see your repositories have moved to arbitrary injection, and do inject HDAU:layout-id.

@RehabMan: HDMI audio works for me, but I don't think I'm injecting layout-id into HDAU, just hda-gfx. I do see "layout-id: 0x03 0x00 0x00 0x00" on HDAU in IORegistryExplorer. It could be Clover's own patches (haven't checked) or perhaps another 10.11.3 change?

I see your repositories have moved to arbitrary injection, and do inject HDAU:layout-id.

layout-id on HDAU is required. It will not happen automatically, although there may be Clover options that do it. I tend to avoid the Clover options (Devices/UseIntelHDMI, Devices/Audio/Inject) as they tend to have unwanted side effects.

You can use Devices/Arbitrary or _DSM injection. Each accomplish the same thing (inject properties into ioreg).

Thank you to both RehabMan and gfoury once again for helping me with my plight. I have restored from a backup from a couple of days ago. Since then I have changed the kexts according to gfoury's previous tips. I have returned to a point where HDMI audio appears to be the only thing not working and I will be trying to fix that once again (probably with the patches listed in post #9). I still haven't worked with the power management since before the restore (when it caused a kernel panic), but I will get to that after HDMI.

Here is my updated ioreg again. Hopefully it's even better than before, even though I know there is still some editing to do. Let me know if there is anything other than the HDMI audio and power management which need to be addressed. I've also attached my SSD's Clover EFI too.

As for gfoury's suggestion about the guide of choice, I've been following jhawk's guide up until I discovered your's earlier this week. Since I used his fastlanepackage, I have the numerical DSDT/SSDT instead of your 4 SSDT's. If I have issues in the future and have to restart the process, than I will be using your guide as it is a little more recent (especially for el capitan instead of yosemite).

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    8.1 MB · Views: 94
  • Zenhackbook, 26 Feb 2016.ioreg
    10.6 MB · Views: 95
Thank you to both RehabMan and gfoury once again for helping me with my plight. I have restored from a backup from a couple of days ago. Since then I have changed the kexts according to gfoury's previous tips. I have returned to a point where HDMI audio appears to be the only thing not working and I will be trying to fix that once again (probably with the patches listed in post #9). I still haven't worked with the power management since before the restore (when it caused a kernel panic), but I will get to that after HDMI.

Here is my updated ioreg again. Hopefully it's even better than before, even though I know there is still some editing to do. Let me know if there is anything other than the HDMI audio and power management which need to be addressed. I've also attached my SSD's Clover EFI too.

As for gfoury's suggestion about the guide of choice, I've been following jhawk's guide up until I discovered your's earlier this week. Since I used his fastlanepackage, I have the numerical DSDT/SSDT instead of your 4 SSDT's. If I have issues in the future and have to restart the process, than I will be using your guide as it is a little more recent (especially for el capitan instead of yosemite).

If you want me to look at ioreg, post as ZIP (also use IORegistryExplorer v2.1).

And if you want me to look at CLOVER, remove 'themes' before uploading.

If you want me to look at ioreg, post as ZIP (also use IORegistryExplorer v2.1).

And if you want me to look at CLOVER, remove 'themes' before uploading.

Of course. I've removed themes and zipped CLOVER, and I've zipped ioreg too. Even though HDMI audio is still an issue, it's not as important as needing a working computer right now. Since I'm in university, I NEED my computer ready at all times. Which means anything that isn't a necessity can wait until the end of the semester to fix. That being said, I would still like to know all that I still have to do!

I have come across 2 other issues though. The app store can't verify my computer so I can't update anything. Some other apps require that the app store work in order to work themselves (ie: Battery Health, iClean, and Memory Clean). Is this due to my SMBIOS or another issue and how do I fix it? And the second issue is that USB 3.0s won't work. I'll use my other USB 2.0s (I have lots, so I should be fine for now, but I still want to know how to fix it). I still haven't tested out the SD card reader yet, but that I'll get to in a couple of months.

Summary: Any issues with ioreg; USB 3.0 support; SD card reader support; App store issue fix (highest priority of all of them, but still not as much of a rush as any of my other posts)

Attachments

• Zenhackbook, 26 Feb 2016.zip
    542.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 13.01.29.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 13.01.29.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 161
  • CLOVER.zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 118
Of course. I've removed themes and zipped CLOVER, and I've zipped ioreg too. Even though HDMI audio is still an issue, it's not as important as needing a working computer right now. Since I'm in university, I NEED my computer ready at all times. Which means anything that isn't a necessity can wait until the end of the semester to fix. That being said, I would still like to know all that I still have to do!

I have come across 2 other issues though. The app store can't verify my computer so I can't update anything. Some other apps require that the app store work in order to work themselves (ie: Battery Health, iClean, and Memory Clean). Is this due to my SMBIOS or another issue and how do I fix it? And the second issue is that USB 3.0s won't work. I'll use my other USB 2.0s (I have lots, so I should be fine for now, but I still want to know how to fix it). I still haven't tested out the SD card reader yet, but that I'll get to in a couple of months.

Summary: Any issues with ioreg; USB 3.0 support; SD card reader support; App store issue fix (highest priority of all of them, but still not as much of a rush as any of my other posts)

Mac App Store is covered in the FAQ: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

You're posting in the Yosemite forum, but you have installed 10.11.3.

For USB issues, see guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/173616-guide-10-11-usb-changes-solutions.html

Most card readers are not supported (use an external USB card reader that is supported by OS X).

HDMI audio (not done):
- B0D3 must be renamed to HDAU
- need "hda-gfx"="onboard-1" on HDAU and IGPU

HDMI audio (already done):
- layout-id injected on B0D3 (but needs rename)
- framebuffer has connector-type patches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back