Contribute
Register

[Guide] ASUS ZENBOOK UX305FA using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to describe exactly what you're doing and provide a photo. The last line is almost never the most important.

I plug the USB in, start the laptop, click esc for the boot list, select the UEFI for the USB, select "Boot OS X Install from install_osx", tap down to verbose mode and select it.

While in verbose mode, everything runs smoothly until ~24 seconds pass and it pauses (image 1). ~48 seconds after the start, the missing bluetooth controller transport warning appears (image 2). After ~1:12 from the start of the verbose boot, the symbol appears and the text on the screen becomes garbled (image 3).

Attachments

• IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    766.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3014.jpg
    IMG_3014.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 93
The exact steps I take are:
1-inserting the USB (I've tried all three ports to see if there would be any change between them with regards to this issue)
2-Powering up and pressing the esc key when the Asus logo appears
3-selecting "UEFI: KingstonDataDraveler 3.3PMAP" from the boot list
4-pressing spacebar over "Boot OS X Install from install_osx"
5-going down the list and pressing spacebar or enter over "Boot Mac OS X in Verbose mode"
6-watching the verbose screen fly through it's monologue for ~24 seconds before pausing [image 1], ~48 seconds before the missing bluetooth controller transport error occurs [image 2], and ~1:12 after the start of the verbose screen the symbol appears and the text because garbled [image 3]
7-shut down, try again with a different config.plist/USB port/USB/with power/without power/asking for help/restarting whole process from the Clover USB bootloader guide/etc.

...]

So you're booting the installer from USB and getting "still waiting for root". It indicates a USB problem.

What version of OS X?

The exact steps I take are:
1-inserting the USB (I've tried all three ports to see if there would be any change between them with regards to this issue)
2-Powering up and pressing the esc key when the Asus logo appears
3-selecting "UEFI: KingstonDataDraveler 3.3PMAP" from the boot list
4-pressing spacebar over "Boot OS X Install from install_osx"
5-going down the list and pressing spacebar or enter over "Boot Mac OS X in Verbose mode"
6-watching the verbose screen fly through it's monologue for ~24 seconds before pausing [image 1], ~48 seconds before the missing bluetooth controller transport error occurs [image 2], and ~1:12 after the start of the verbose screen the symbol appears and the text because garbled [image 3]
7-shut down, try again with a different config.plist/USB port/USB/with power/without power/asking for help/restarting whole process from the Clover USB bootloader guide/etc.

View attachment 173715View attachment 173716View attachment 173717

Maybe my files can help

Attachments

• low.png
    low.png
    828.5 KB · Views: 204
  • UX305FA.zip
    595.5 KB · Views: 92
Keep in mind you should never use patched ACPI files from another computer...

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I get to the post install steps. And in answer to your previous question about the OS X version I'm using, it's El Capitan 10.11.3.

USB does appear to work out of the box in El Capitan.

---

I've uploaded a tool to automate the ACPI patches described by jhawk. It can also do some kext installations for El Capitan. See

https://github.com/gfoury/UX305FA-DSDT-Patch

but the documentation is not very complete compared to jhawk's in the OP. The tool is a ripoff of RehabMan's HP-Envy patch tool.

---

My two most-hated glitches on this machine:

1. Forgetting to enable DropOem when I include patched .aml files. If you do this on the UX305FA, the hard drive will not show up. My tool now generates a config.plist in order to remind myself.

2. Two-finger scrolling works great...after you've changed the scroll speed at least once in the Trackpad preferences.

I fixed a few bugs, including the use of 0x6D for USB wake and some missing directories.

I added a wrapper for patchmatic which looks up the .maciasl name of patches being applied. Example of makefile log:

Code:
cp ./unpatched/DSDT.dsl ./patched
{local} syntax.txt
[syn] Remove _DSM methods
{local} misc-UX303-LPC.txt
{local} DTGP.txt
[sys] SMBUS Fix
# Does not seem to hurt, might help some:
[audio] Audio Layout 3
[bat] ASUS N55SL/VivoBook
[sys] Fix _WAK Arg0 v2
[sys] HPET Fix
[sys] IRQ Fix
[sys] RTC Fix
[sys] Fix PNOT/PPNT
[sys] Add IMEI
# already fixed ADGB
[usb] USB3 _PRW(0x6D) and Rename XHC to XHC1
{local} graphics_PNLF_haswell.txt
{local} ZenBooksLidSleepandScreenBackLightPatch.txt
{local} ALSPatch-Haswell.txt
{local} KeyboardBacklight.txt
{local} BrightnessKeys_Patch.txt
[igpu] Rename GFX0 to IGPU
iasl -ve -p build/DSDT.aml patched/DSDT.dsl

I fixed a few bugs, including the use of 0x6D for USB wake and some missing directories.

I added a wrapper for patchmatic which looks up the .maciasl name of patches being applied. Example of makefile log:

Code:
cp ./unpatched/DSDT.dsl ./patched
{local} syntax.txt
[syn] Remove _DSM methods
{local} misc-UX303-LPC.txt
{local} DTGP.txt
[sys] SMBUS Fix
# Does not seem to hurt, might help some:
[audio] Audio Layout 3
[bat] ASUS N55SL/VivoBook
[sys] Fix _WAK Arg0 v2
[sys] HPET Fix
[sys] IRQ Fix
[sys] RTC Fix
[sys] Fix PNOT/PPNT
[sys] Add IMEI
# already fixed ADGB
[usb] USB3 _PRW(0x6D) and Rename XHC to XHC1
{local} graphics_PNLF_haswell.txt
{local} ZenBooksLidSleepandScreenBackLightPatch.txt
{local} ALSPatch-Haswell.txt
{local} KeyboardBacklight.txt
{local} BrightnessKeys_Patch.txt
[igpu] Rename GFX0 to IGPU
iasl -ve -p build/DSDT.aml patched/DSDT.dsl

Since you seem pretty technical, you might consider transitioning to a Clover hotpatch+add-on SSDT approach.

I've done it on the BRIX, Lenovo u430, Lenovo y50, HP Envy J/K/Q, ProBook, and my desktop. I also helped another user do it for the Lenovo Z50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back