Contribute
Register

[Guide] Airport - Half Mini PCIe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I need some help.
I've just bought an AR9380 (AR5BXB112) w/ the Mini PCI -> PCIe Adapter (w/ 3 antennas).

The problems:
1. The reception is POOR! Tried also with a BCM4313 but with this one I can connect to my access point. With the Atheros, I can't (only sometimes works!).
2. On Windows, I installed several drivers (including BootCamp's drivers) which work, and found the card but Windows tells me the password is wrong and after reputting it I got the error says that I can't connect to the access point.

Please help me.

EDIT: Fixed, just installed the aluminium box

Hi guys,

Could you use your help. Got 10.8.3 up and running; so far so good. Running a i5-3570k CPU on a Gigabyte Z77N-wifi motherboard pretty much straight out of the CustoMac Mini April 2013 guide. Only roadblock so far is that I installed an Atheros AR9285 wifi card onto the motherboard and followed the instructions to edit the kext (added <string>pci168c,2b</string>. When I restart and go to System Prefs --> Network then (+), there is no "wifi" option under the Interface menu.

What am I missing? I've read elsewhere about updating the kernel caches, so I did that and repaired disk permissions, but still no effect.

Help much appreciated -- am really happy to have a working system, but would love to get some internet going!

UPDATE
Feeling kind of stupid, but it turns out I forgot to select the right network option in Multibeast after my first boot. I re-ran MB, selected the option for the Z77N, and wifi works! Haven't tested for bluetooth yet, but that's not a requirement for me, so I'm happy for now...

Hello,

I just received from amazon the Atheros AR5BXB112 AR9380 but the device is not recognized by OSX (no wifi hardware installed): showed as vendor id 168c but device id "abcd" in both windows ad Mac OS.

I tried to fix this adding the card to AirPortAtheros40.ktext (System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/Info.plist) but with not success.

A tread on Linux drivers tend to say the root cause is the bios of the mobo (mine is a ga b75m d3v upgraded to last bios)
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.ath9k.devel/5845

Any idea on what settings I could play in bios or chimera to make it show it real device I'd?

Super thanks

I am looking for half pcie mini card combo wifi and bluetooth work out of box for my laptop, is there any place for me to buy?

Hello,

I have a slimline computer being used as a HTPC, I purchased the GT 430 as it has the option to remove the VGA port and make the card slimmer (comes with a smaller bracket to accomodate).
EVGA-01G-P3-1430-LR-GeForce-GT-430.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has found a mini PCI-e to PCI-e adapter that is for slimline computers, which can't accomodate the full sized PCI cards?

Hello,

I have a slimline computer being used as a HTPC, I purchased the GT 430 as it has the option to remove the VGA port and make the card slimmer (comes with a smaller bracket to accomodate).
View attachment 57437

I was wondering if anyone has found a mini PCI-e to PCI-e adapter that is for slimline computers, which can't accomodate the full sized PCI cards?

I have this card and it comes with a low profile mounting bracket: http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/MP2W.html

You can install either a half mini pci-e card, or move the mounting posts to install a full size mini pci-e wireless card.

Dil83

Not feasible for x16 PCIe. Mini PCIe is x1.

What Dil83 posted, looks like the perfect thing as the packaging includes what i've posted below:
MP2W_ver2.13a_3A_1S.jpgLow_profile_PCI_express_bracket.jpg
Surely, these would support the PCIe WiFi cards - whether they be the Apple branded or these half mini ones?

But thank you very much Dil83!

Surely, these would support the PCIe WiFi cards - whether they be the Apple branded or these half mini ones?

Yes, it will support either the half mini or full size mini pci-e WiFi cards, you just have to move the two mounting posts to accommodate whichever size card you use via screws through the backside of the adapter card.

Here is a compatibility list on their website for the cards known to be working with this adapter (find the MP2W adapter in the chart): http://www.hwtools.net/PDF/Compatibility_List.pdf

This card actually supports a mini pci-e wireless card through a standard pci-e x1 slot, OR through USB, so the chart shows which interface the cards will work with.

I personally use it with this exact card and the adapter plugged into a pci-e slot: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130614990164?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This card gives me the full 450Mbps connection on the 5GHz band of my Airport Extreme Base Station and works natively in 10.8.x Mountain Lion.

Dil83

P.S. This card does not come with the antennae, so they have to be ordered separately. eBay has much better deals on the antennae than this company does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back