Contribute
Register

[Guide] 2015 X1 Carbon Yosemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off-topic: On Windows 8.1, I think the problem I have is the mouse *pointer* not coming back after sleep sometimes. I can still move it, and click on things, but I can't see what I'm clicking. It's pretty funny that OS X works better for you there.

Not-off-topic: Wait, you have sleep working in Yosemite? When I close the lid and wait ten seconds, I get a sleep-of-death, with the power and lid LED fading up and down. All I can do is a hard power down. This is with DSDTs derived from following your guide against 1.06 and 1.08 ACPI tables.

I am currently testing "reboot from Windows 8.1 into Yosemite" to see if it fixes my video-like lockups, which might really be the USB WiFi. I have an uptime of 29 hours now, but I have not been provoking it. The best way I can trigger it is to open Mail.app with a lot of unsync'd messages waiting on Gmail, but this is not guaranteed. I have been trying to use this laptop for work for (some) of these 29 hours, so I have been avoiding provoking the lockup bug. :D

Synaptics really needs to get their stuff together.

But yeah, sleep is working fine here. I think I fixed it by disabling the Pre-Desktop Fingerprinter scanner option or by disabling USB3, not sure XD

I receive occasional graphic lockups too, sometimes every other day? I don't use OSX a whole lot so I haven't been bothered enough to go searching for the solution.

I used to have the mouse problem occasionally too when waking up, but haven't seen it for quite a while, not sure it's the bios or anything else I did, or just lucky recently. I totally agree Synaptics provides crappy driver....

For the random graphic freeze, I heard that can be solved by reboot from windows, or upgrade to 10.11 El Captian, haven't done any testing though

btw, do you guys know any way to bypass the bios whitelist so we can change the internal wifi module?

Don't worry about it. I bought a Broadcom card from Dell (go figure, Dell's card fits, Lenovo's doesn't :lol:) and simply swapped them over. I remember seeing somewhere on ****** a link to Lenovo's forums where a representative told them that the new Thinkpads don't have whitelists anymore. Well, I have working WiFi and Bluetooth. Didn't bother trying Handoff/Continuity because I don't have an iPhone.

If you're curious about the card, call Dell at 1-800-357-3355 and ask for part "6XRYC", it's about $20, and I got free shipping. Now I'm struggling to make it work on Linux, because of the masochistic triple-boot setup I have. :banghead:

Don't worry about it. I bought a Broadcom card from Dell (go figure, Dell's card fits, Lenovo's doesn't :lol:) and simply swapped them over. I remember seeing somewhere on ****** a link to Lenovo's forums where a representative told them that the new Thinkpads don't have whitelists anymore. Well, I have working WiFi and Bluetooth. Didn't bother trying Handoff/Continuity because I don't have an iPhone.

If you're curious about the card, call Dell at 1-800-357-3355 and ask for part "6XRYC", it's about $20, and I got free shipping. Now I'm struggling to make it work on Linux, because of the masochistic triple-boot setup I have. :banghead:

That's a great news! Thanks for letting me know:D
I actually saw a lot people taliking about the wwan whitelist on this generation x1, and saw a request of WiFi whitelist request on bios mod. I dunno what's the situation exactly, but I guess as long as BCM94352Z works on this machine, nothing needs to be worried. Thanks again for the test!

But my heart broken when I saw it not works on Linux :( Linux support is one major reason I bought this machine :(

That's a great news! Thanks for letting me know:D
I actually saw a lot people taliking about the wwan whitelist on this generation x1, and saw a request of WiFi whitelist request on bios mod. I dunno what's the situation exactly, but I guess as long as BCM94352Z works on this machine, nothing needs to be worried. Thanks again for the test!

But my heart broken when I saw it not works on Linux :( Linux support is one major reason I bought this machine :(

I think there are work-in-progress drivers for Linux.

Can anyone confirm that the BCM94352Z will work on the X1 Carbon? Your profile says you have a Thinkpad 450s.

If so I might buy one in the near future.

The latest Synaptics Drivers seems to have fixed my only issue in Windows but now my OSX won't boot due to volume errors that fsck can't fix. I don't have the money right now to set aside for DiskWarrior or TechTools ProToGo (granted I don't even know if they would work with my setup) any tips on fixing this freely short of reinstalling the OS? I didn't quite setup Time Machine backups :C

Firstly thank you very much for all of the effort you have put into the guide, it is very thorough and easy to follow :)

I have done Steps 1 and 2 but in Step 3, when I select Install OS X Yosemite it just shows up a grey apple logo on a black screen. I am not sure if this is because I have the 2560x1440(WQHD) version of the Thinkpad but I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks again for the guide, I am really looking forward to trying out my new hackintosh :)

Hello Jcsnider,

When I choose UEFI only in BIOS I get a black screen at boot any Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back