Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
After a lot of reading, testing, trial and error, kernal panics and reinstalling I found a simple fool proof way to update from 10.6.0 Retail to 10.6.8. Please check specs but this method should work on all 1155 MOBO's.

Tools:
Snow Leopard Retail
Latest BIOS
iBoot 3.1.1
MultiBeast 3.7.3
Carbon Copy Cloner

My Spec:
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (F4)
i5-2500k
XFX HD 6870 Black Edition (worked fine with integrated graphics as well however only one resolution option)
8GB 1600Mhz RAM
2 x 1TB 6GB/s HD's

Method:

1) Bios:
Set BIOS settings to ACHI Mode (in two places)
Boot Priority to CD-ROM
HPET to 64-bit mode.

2) iBoot:
Insert iBoot CD
Wait for boot prompt
Remove iBoot
Insert Snow Leopard Retail
Wait 5 seconds press F5 to refresh
Should see "Mac OS X Install" press Enter

3) 10.0 Installation:
Before starting the installation open Disk Utility from the menu
Partition your HD as GUID Partition and Format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Create a second partition of around 15GB also Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Close Disk Utility and proceed with installation.
When it's finished, re insert iBoot and restart

4) Post Upgrade & Clone
At boot prompt you should see your Snow Leopard installation press enter to load it.
Before you proceed place Multibeast and 10.6.8 combo (from a usb stick or cd) on the desktop. Also install carbon copy cloner and create a copy of your working installation to the second partition you created above.

5) Reboot with iBoot and boot into the second partition.

6) 10.6.8
You should have 10.6.8 Combo and Multibeast already on the desktop.
IMPORTANT: Open 10.6.8 combo update and install it to the FIRST (Main) OSX Partition this is the most important part. Once complete you won't be asked to reboot just click ok and close the installer.

7) Multibeast:
Run Multibeast, click through until it allows you to select the custom options options tick EasyBeast and click continue.
IMPORTANT: Now click change location and choose the main partition you just installed 10.6.8 combo onto.

For a vanilla install you can just select EasyBeast, System Utilities & Chimera.

For the same and similar MOBO's to get everything working and running in 64bit kernal select:
-EasyBeast
-System Utilities
-Drivers & Bootloaders > Kexts & Enablers > Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > ALCxxHDA
-Drivers & Bootloaders > Kexts & Enablers > Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > Non-DSDT HDAEnabler > ALC889
-Drivers & Bootloaders > Kexts & Enablers > Miscellaneous > IOUSBFamily Rollback
-Drivers & Bootloaders > Kexts & Enablers > Miscellaneous > USB 3.0 - NEC/Renesas
-Drivers & Bootloaders > Kexts & Enablers > Network > Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6
-Drivers & Bootloaders > Bootloaders > Chimera v1.4.1 r877
-Customization > Boot Options > 64-bit Apple Boot Screen
-Customization > Boot Options > Instant menu

Install, wait for completion, eject iBoot and restart. At Chimera boot prompt choose your main OSX installation. If you get a grey Apple logo and a spinning wheel underneath then have some patience it took a few minutes the first time to load but it will go to the desktop :)

Congrats you have a working copy of 10.6.8 you should erase the second clone now and create a new one of 10.6.8 you can do this on the same HD or on an external HD.

Note: I don't take credit for any of the above. This guide is an amalgamation of 3-4 guides and as I used and read so many suggesitons I cannot credit (remember) everyone whose information I compiled to get here. But thank you to this awesome community and especially those that suggested some of the methods outlined above. :headbang:

Re: [Guide 10.0 > 10.6.8] Fool Proof Guide GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

No need to lower the multiplier to 32X?

miu007 said:
No need to lower the multiplier to 32X?

I had my multiplier set to 40X & System Memory Multiplier (SPD) @ 16.00 for 1600MHz. So multiplier shouldn't matter to much.

When attempting to install the 10.6.8 update from the second partition, it will not permit the main partition to be selected as the install destination. It says "this volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

Same here--doesn't meet requirements for this update. How did OP do it?

Edit: Damn, does that mean I'm the "better" fool?

OK. here's the weird part. I just did the 6.8 update after deleting the kext like tony said, and the damn thing grey curtained with the damn power rosetta stone thingy. Rebooted, and it rebooted itself on the apple loading screen. Rebooted again, and now I'm in 10.6.8 ! WTF, but I'll take it. Now lets see if I can get MBeast working for me.

I'm also having the "volume does not meet the requirements for this update" message. Any ideas?

I ended up just having to do the 10.6.7 > delete problem kext > repair cache and permissions > reboot > 10.6.8 > multibeast > reboot

Works great now!
:D

Updating from 10.0 to 10.6.8 is pretty impressive :headbang:

from cheetah to snow leopard ^ ^

If you can't install 10.6.8 to another partition or hardrive make sure your hardrive is set as a GUID partition and formatted as Mac OS (extended journaled) also check the permissions in disk utility and that owners are enabled.

Disk_Utility1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back