Contribute
Register

[Guide] 10.11+ USB changes and solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a simple matter of:
- start with SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl
- deleting the configurations which have no applicability to your hardware
- deleting ports from the remaining config (eg. the one that corresponds to your XHC controller) that are not used
- changing UsbConnector to the correct value depending on the port type

Did you read the Skylake Starter Guide for clues?

The thing is, it is not clear to me whether the USB entries in IOREG are the slots in use or the slots on my motherboard. Should I test them one by one?

I didn't read the Skylake Starter Guide as I am on Haswell. Does it matter?

I have issues with USB 3.0 drives giving me 2.0 speeds. I'm well below the 15-devices limit. Will any of the solutions stated on this topic work for that or...?
The drives (I've tried several) all show up below the USB 3.0 Hub tree on System Information, however I understand this may not mean anything in regards of macOS really using them as 3.0 devices.

I have issues with USB 3.0 drives giving me 2.0 speeds. I'm well below the 15-devices limit. Will any of the solutions stated on this topic work for that or...?
The drives (I've tried several) all show up below the USB 3.0 Hub tree on System Information, however I understand this may not mean anything in regards of macOS really using them as 3.0 devices.

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Alright so to make it complete, I have thee issues in fact:
1. External USB drives (3.0, perform at USB 3.0 speeds on my MBA) will work at USB 2.0 speed. These use power adaptor. Same speed issues with 3.0 pen flash drives.
2. A couple old drives I have won't ever mount on any port (they won't show on System Information either). They work perfect on my MBA. They use a power adapter.
3. A 3.0 USB Hub from Anker (uses a power adapter) can use devices perfectly (right now a XB1 dongle, Logitech mouse dongle and a Logitech headset dongle) but then I cannot mount some drives when it's on (the drives that won't mount are the ones stated on -1-. However if it's a pen flash drive, it will mount no issues, so it seems to be something related to power hungry devices only). If i turn it off, then aforementioned drives mount again. Notice I'm not trying to mount the drives on the adapter per se, I do it using an empty port in the back.

Since it may be cumbersome to understand all of the above, I'll put it into a practical example:

DEVICES
USB_Drive_1_OK
: Seagate External 3TB USB 3.0 Drive, uses a power adapter.
USB_Drive_2_NOK: Seagate External 3TB USB 3.0 Drive, uses a power adapter.
Pen_Drive_1: Transcend 32GB Pen Flash Drive USB 3.0.
Hub_1: Anker 10-port USB 3.0 Hub, uses a power adapter.

ISSUES
1. USB_Drive_1_OK will always read and write with USB 2.0 speeds. Same for Pen_Drive_1. On a MacBookAir 2016 they will read and write with proper USB 3.0 speeds.
2. USB_Drive_2_NOK never mounts, no matter what. It seems not to be recognized at all. Never shows up on System Information or Disk Utilities. On a MacBookAir 2016 it mounts and works perfectly.
3. If Hub_1 is turned on, then neither USB_Drive_1_OK nor Pen_Drive_1 will mount. If I turn off Hub_1, then USB_Drive_1_OK and Pen_Drive_1 mount ok (but requires restarting after turning off).

I connected the Hub_1 and USB_Drive_2_NOK before doing all the IOReg export and stuff, to see if maybe they show up somewhere.

Last edited:
Alright so to make it complete, I have thee issues in fact:
1. External USB drives (3.0, perform at USB 3.0 speeds on my MBA) will work at USB 2.0 speed.
2. A couple old drives I have won't ever mount on any port (they won't show on System Information either). They work perfect on my MBA. They require a power adapter.
3. A 3.0 USB Hub from Anker (uses a power adapter) can use devices perfectly (right now a XB1 dongle, Logitech mouse dongle and a Logitech headset dongle) but then I cannot mount some drives when it's on (the drives are not the ones in -2-, they do mount and work but with USB 2.0 speeds). If i turn it off, then aforementioned drives mount again.

I connected the USB Hub and the one of the old drives that won't mount before doing all the IOReg export and stuff, to see if maybe they show up somewhere. The drive in question is a 3TB Seagate. The USB Hub as mentioned is an Anker hub, 10 ports.

Your current problem is the number of ports you're trying to inject are more than the 15-port limit allows. And you have not used the port limit patch. Hence, only one of your USB3 ports is working at USB3 speeds (the one that is associated with SSP1).

Use the port limit patch. Install USBInjectAll.kext. Then create a custom SSDT as per guide linked from post #1 such that only the ports you need are injected and you are at or under the 15-port limit.

Your current problem is the number of ports you're trying to inject are more than the 15-port limit allows. And you have not used the port limit patch. Hence, only one of your USB3 ports is working at USB3 speeds (the one that is associated with SSP1).

Use the port limit patch. Install USBInjectAll.kext. Then create a custom SSDT as per guide linked from post #1 such that only the ports you need are injected and you are at or under the 15-port limit.
Thank you.
Well I edited my post to make it clearer, didn't think you'd reply so fast. However I wonder, I don't have 15 devices/ports? Or is because the USB Hub itself allocates the 10 ports at once, hence forcing me globally to go all the way through the 15 port limit?
And just pretend I wouldn't use the USB Hub, I still get the issues with some drives not mounting and low USB speeds.

Thank you.
Well I edited my post to make it clearer, didn't think you'd reply so fast. However I wonder, I don't have 15 devices/ports? Or is because the USB Hub itself allocates the 10 ports at once, hence forcing me globally to go all the way through the 15 port limit?
And just pretend I wouldn't use the USB Hub, I still get the issues with some drives not mounting and low USB speeds.

It is clear from your ioreg that the SSPx ports are truncated due to the 15-port limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back