Contribute
Register

[Guide] 10.11+ USB changes and solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh sweet, that makes much more sense now!

One last question, does the “Intel FB-patcher” tool help to do the discovery and SSDT creation part of this guide, or is it better to still follow this guide solely? I can’t find anything that says they do the same thing although they look like the same process...

FB-patcher only creates a port injector kext. You first have to do port discovery so you know which ports to exclude.

One last question, does the “Intel FB-patcher” tool help to do the discovery and SSDT creation part of this guide, or is it better to still follow this guide solely? I can’t find anything that says they do the same thing although they look like the same process...

Intel FB-Patcher does technically help with port discovery by highlighting ports that are active once you plug a device in. You still need USBInjectAll.kext to inject the ports during discovery. I've added a feature to FB-Patcher so it remembers ports from the last run so you can do the port discovery in batches using USBInjectAll's exclude boot flags. USBPorts.kext is an alternative to using an SSDT but they are essentially achieving the same goal. Any further questions relating to FB-Patcher please direct to the appropriate thead.

Last edited:
I honestly still cannot follow this guide.it really needs to be dumbed down quite a bit. This is as far as I can get. But when i plug and unplug usb devices, they work but nothing updates in IOJones like it does in your screen shots. nothing happens at all.

I'm on 10.13.6 and even without using USBInjectAll all USB 3 and 2 ports work, even with the port limit increase removed (I only added that temporarily to work on custom port injector). Everything works perfectly, except I cannot get IOJones to show me a anything useful so I can actually map out the ports.

Board is Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 with F10 bios. Everything is 100% working. I'm just trying to get ahead of things before upgrading to 10.14.1 (eventually) and having to have things break. Easier to port map now while I can do so easier (well I thought it'd be easier anyways but IOJones doesn't work). What am I missing? I did try finding XHCI-unsupported.kext on internet so I can try adding that but it doesn't actually exist anywhere on internet. Tons of guides say it exists but none actually where to get it.

Attachments

• Omega-4.iojones
    2.1 MB · Views: 113
  • acpi.jpg
    acpi.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 200
  • IOJones.jpg
    IOJones.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 198
  • TEMPPortLimit.jpg
    TEMPPortLimit.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
I honestly still cannot follow this guide.it really needs to be dumbed down quite a bit. This is as far as I can get. But when i plug and unplug usb devices, they work but nothing updates in IOJones like it does in your screen shots. nothing happens at all.

I'm on 10.13.6 and even without using USBInjectAll all USB 3 and 2 ports work, even with the port limit increase removed (I only added that temporarily to work on custom port injector). Everything works perfectly, except I cannot get IOJones to show me a anything useful so I can actually map out the ports.

Board is Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 with F10 bios. Everything is 100% working. I'm just trying to get ahead of things before upgrading to 10.14.1 (eventually) and having to have things break. Easier to port map now while I can do so easier (well I thought it'd be easier anyways but IOJones doesn't work). What am I missing? I did try finding XHCI-unsupported.kext on internet so I can try adding that but it doesn't actually exist anywhere on internet. Tons of guides say it exists but none actually where to get it.

My guide does not use IOJones. It uses IORegistryExplorer.app.
Please read it carefully:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

IORegistryExplorer.app actually has same problem, the IOACPIPlane doesn't update when plugging/unplugging USB< fortunately I found another app that actually does work, FBPatcher. So I'll try to follow guide with that instead since i'll be able to identify ports with that app.

These are my results

I wasn't able to get the two USB 3.1 Type A ports to show anything here though. but currently on 10.13.6 the ports accept USB 2 and USB 3 devices.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 7.48.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 7.48.18 PM.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 7.48.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 7.48.38 PM.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 7.48.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 7.48.50 PM.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
My Final results are

Used Ports
HS01--4-Port USB 2.0 Hub (Internal)
HS02--Rear bottom Right
HS03--Rear Top Left
HS04--Rear Top Right
HS05--Rear Middle Left
HS06--Rear Middle Right
HS07--Front Right
HS08--Front Left

HS10--Internal Header Connected to Bluetooth

SS01--4-Port USB 3.0 Hub (Internal)
SS02--Rear bottom Right
SS03--Rear Top Left
SS04--Rear Top Right
SS05--Rear Middle Left
SS06--Rear Middle Right

USB 3.1 A Rear Port
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/RP05@1C,4/IOPP/PXSX@0/PXSX@01000000/AppleUSB20XHCIPort@01300000

Now the guide basically says if USB 3.1 is working, do nothing. that still stands? map the rest, and ignore the 3.1?

My Final results are

Used Ports
HS01--4-Port USB 2.0 Hub (Internal)
HS02--Rear bottom Right
HS03--Rear Top Left
HS04--Rear Top Right
HS05--Rear Middle Left
HS06--Rear Middle Right
HS07--Front Right
HS08--Front Left

HS10--Internal Header Connected to Bluetooth

SS01--4-Port USB 3.0 Hub (Internal)
SS02--Rear bottom Right
SS03--Rear Top Left
SS04--Rear Top Right
SS05--Rear Middle Left
SS06--Rear Middle Right

I assume that HS07/HS08 are USB2-only?

USB 3.1 A Rear Port
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/RP05@1C,4/IOPP/PXSX@0/PXSX@01000000/AppleUSB20XHCIPort@01300000

That is on the TB3 controller. Not relevant in this guide nor the USBInjectAll guide.

I assume that HS07/HS08 are USB2-only?

That is on the TB3 controller. Not relevant in this guide nor the USBInjectAll guide.
yes those are USB2 only, I set them USB2 only in in connector, and i set the internal one correctly for one bluetooth is directly plugged into. everything working smoothly now so i think everything is 100% now and all that remains is 10.14.2 and nvidia drivers :)

yes those are USB2 only, I set them USB2 only in in connector, and i set the internal one correctly for one bluetooth is directly plugged into. everything working smoothly now so i think everything is 100% now and all that remains is 10.14.2 and nvidia drivers :)

For my WIP desktop, I gave up on waiting for Nvidia... purchased an AMD RX 560.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back