Contribute
Register

GTX970 cannot be recognized by High Sierra 10.13.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • I suspect your system disk has many corrupt files with all the various things you have installed and reinstalled and changed with many attempts to fix your NVIDIA Graphics.
  • Unless you know exactly what kexts were installed, it will be very hard to uninstall and repair the System disk.
  • If I were in your place, I will back up my personal files to an External Disk and Reformat and Reinstall.
  • I will use the steps for correctly installing Nvidia Graphics in High Sierra 10.13.6 from the start.

Okay could you tell me exactly what Kext files I need, and what I should have check in config.plist? I look up guides but everyone tells me something different. and should I have the GPU unplugged when reinstalling? and when should I plug it in.

• I suspect your system disk has many corrupt files with all the various things you have installed and reinstalled and changed with many attempts to fix your NVIDIA Graphics.
  • Unless you know exactly what kexts were installed, it will be very hard to uninstall and repair the System disk.
  • If I were in your place, I will back up my personal files to an External Disk and Reformat and Reinstall.
  • I will use the steps for correctly installing Nvidia Graphics in High Sierra 10.13.6 from the start.

Okay I will reinstall, what are the exact kexts I should have installed? and what should I have checked in my config.plist? everything works on my machine except my GPU. I have spent hours looking at multiple guides but everyone says something different. and should I have my GPU unplugged when installing? if so when should I plug it in?

Okay I will reinstall, what are the exact kexts I should have installed? and what should I have checked in my config.plist? everything works on my machine except my GPU. I have spent hours looking at multiple guides but everyone says something different. and should I have my GPU unplugged when installing? if so when should I plug it in?
  • I have a long cumbersome method when I have two Graphics (IGFX and PEG) in my system to make sure there won't be any conflict from the Internal Graphics while installing the PCIE.
  • I will create USB Installer with CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and kexts/Other as recommended by
    P1LGRIM in #8 and config.plist edited to boot using Intel Graphics
  • I install my system initially with IGFX , physically removing the PCIE Graphics from its PCIE slot of the MoBo.
  • At this time , while I am still in the opened Computer Case working on the MoBo, I do a CMOS Reset either through Clear CMOS pins temporarily using a Plastic two Pin shunt or touching the pins with a flathead screw driver tip for 10-20 seconds and back to status -quo-ante or Removing the CMOS Coin Battery for 20-30 seconds and Reinserting it depending up on which option is easier in the Computer well
  • I'll connect the Video Cable to HDMI port of Integrated Graphics.
  • I re-power and reboot and "Load Optimized Default BIOS and Reboot"
  • I will press Del and enter BIOS and set the BIOS options to boot an OS X disk.
    • In the BIOS Features > Boot Options Priority , I will have the maCOS High Sierra UEFI USB Installer as first boot and will DISABLE all other disks from the list.
    • In Peripherals>
      • Initial Display Output > IGFX Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
    • Chipset >
  • Internal Graphics ENABLED
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated 128M
  • DVMT Total Gfx Mem : 256 M (Default)
  • F10 to Save and Reboot
  • Press F12> UEFI USB Installer
  • From CBM screen Boot USB installer > Utilities>Disk Utility> Erase the Target Disk >Install MacOS that can have several reboots.
  • Once OS installation is finished on the HDD, install Clover and kexts and edit CLOVER and config.plist (Use Multibeast if manual method unfamiliar)
  • Reboot using MacOS HS System Disk >Login >Eject USB installer Disk
  • Update everything
  • Edit CLOVER>config.plist>Enable SIP for Nvidia WebDriver install
  • Download and Install Nvidia Web Driver
  • Reboot >Del key>BIOS>Peripherals> Initial Display Output > PEG
  • PEG :Enabled >Disable IGFX
  • Make sure First Boot Device is UEFI macOS System Disk and all other disks are Disabled from Boot Priority List.
  • F10 and Reboot> Shut Down>Open Computer Case (Power Cable unplugged and Residual Power on the Board Discharged pressing Case Power On/off a few times every time anything is done on a MoBo inside a case )
  • Re-insert PCIE Graphics and connect its PCIE Power if any as needed.
  • Remove Video Cable from IGFX port and connect to PCIE HDMI port
  • Re-power and Reboot and enter BIOS and make sure PEG is still the Graphics ENABLED.
  • Reboot macOS HS system Disk
  • In CBM screen, verify Options>Graphics Injector-> has [√] Use Nvidia Web Driver
  • Return and Boot your MacOS HS disk in Verbose mode to take and upload image(s) if problem occurs.
I hope this will get you going

• I have a long cumbersome method when I have two Graphics (IGFX and PEG) in my system to make sure there won't be any conflict from the Internal Graphics while installing the PCIE.
  • I will create USB Installer with CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and kexts/Other as recommended by
  • I install my system initially with IGFX , physically removing the PCIE Graphics from its PCIE slot of the MoBo.
  • At this time , while I am still in the opened Computer Case working on the MoBo, I do a CMOS Reset either through Clear CMOS pins temporarily using a Plastic two Pin shunt or touching the pins with a flathead screw driver tip for 10-20 seconds and back to status -quo-ante or Removing the CMOS Coin Battery for 20-30 seconds and Reinserting it depending up on which option is easier in the Computer well
  • I will press Del and enter BIOS and set the BIOS options to boot an OS X disk.
    • In the BIOS Features > Boot Options Priority , I will have the maCOS High Sierra UEFI USB Installer as first boot and will DISABLE all other disks from the list.
    • In Peripherals>
    • Chipset >
  • F10 to Save and Reboot
  • From CBM screen Boot USB installer > Utilities>Disk Utility> Erase the Target Disk >Install MacOS that can have several reboots.
  • Once OS installation is finished on the HDD, install Clover and kexts and edit CLOVER and config.plist (Use Multibeast if manual method unfamiliar)
  • Update everything
  • Make sure First Boot Device is UEFI macOS System Disk and all other disks are Disabled from Boot Priority List.
  • F10 and Reboot> Shut Down>Open Computer Case (Power Cable unplugged and Residual Power on the Board Discharged pressing Case Power On/off a few times every time anything is done on a MoBo inside a case )
  • Re-power and Reboot and enter BIOS and make sure PEG is still the Graphics ENABLED.
  • In CBM screen, verify Options>Graphics Injector-> has [√] Use Nvidia Web Driver
  • Return and Boot your MacOS HS disk in Verbose mode to take and upload image(s) if problem occurs.

Okay I just finished my reinstallation I will do this step by step and let you know if it works, thank you!

• In Peripherals>
    • Chipset >
  • F10 to Save and Reboot
  • Update everything

I the computer is showing gtx970 in cloverboot options but when I try booting it after after following the last step it gets stuck.

Attachments

• 15376384019687913007145530905645.jpg
    15376384019687913007145530905645.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 100
I the computer is showing gtx970 in cloverboot options but when I try booting it after after following the last step it gets stuck.
  • See if you can boot with nv_disable =1 in Options>Boot Args along with dart=0 and -v
  • If it can reach, Desktop with nv_disable =1 , mount EFI Partition from your maOS High Sierra Hard disk and upload its EFI Folder as a compressed file(zip) to check its contents.

• See if you can boot with nv_disable =1 in Options>Boot Args along with dart=0 and -v
  • If it can reach, Desktop with nv_disable =1 , mount EFI Partition from your maOS High Sierra Hard disk and upload its EFI Folder as a compressed file(zip) to check its contents.
Nv_disable=1 and dart=0 were already there when I booted I tried without and same thing happened the progress bar got stuck.

Nv_disable=1 and dart=0 were already there when I booted I tried without and same thing happened the progress bar got stuck.
Nv_disable=1 and dart=0 were already there when I booted
If you have installed Nvidia Webdriver on the macOS High Sierra after it was reinstalled initially with Intel HD as suggested following all the precautions for Web driver installation by editing CLOVER and its config.plist, you could not have had nv_disable=1 . It should actually show [√] Use Nvidia Web driver in CBM screen>Options> Graphics Injector Screen.

I presume you have missed some steps.

The whole troubleshoot is a long one with multiple stages of removing and reinserting PCIE cards, checking BIOS in addition to Clover editing. I did not actually expect your reply at #14 in less than 45 minutes of my post at #13! A new install itself can take from USB installer boot to login to System disk about 40-45 minuets!

Something just does not add up!

Last edited:
If you have installed Nvidia Webdriver on the macOS High Sierra after it was reinstalled initially with Intel HD as suggested following all the precautions for Web driver installation by editing CLOVER and its config.plist, you could not have had nv_disable=1 . It should actually show [√] Use Nvidia Web driver in CBM screen>Options> Graphics Injector Screen.

I presume you have missed some steps.

The whole troubleshoot is a long one with multiple stages of removing and reinserting PCIE cards, checking BIOS in addition to Clover editing. I did not actually expect your reply at #14 in less than 45 minutes of my post at #13! A new install itself can take from USB installer boot to login to System disk about 40-45 minuets!

Something just does not add up!

I followed everything step by step and to test it I just completely reinstalled with a new SSD and in options nv_disable=1 and Dart=0 is still there under options but I haven't even gotten to desktop yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back