Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[SOLVED] GTX 970 toubles

[SOLVED] This issue has been solved. Please see this thread to see the issue solved thread. However if your issue can't be fixed with the information in the other thread, feel free to check through this thread for any additional information.

[Original Posting]

Hey everyone,

Today I installed 2 GTX 970's (in SLI), and I have 2 questions about them.

1: I know OSX doesn't support SLI, but will it recognize a single card a run if the SLI plugs are in?

2: Regardless of the SLI plugs, I haven't been able to get OSX Yosemite 10.10.1 up and running smoothly (I didn't have the SLI cords plugged in for this testing, so the use of SLI was not the issue). Essentially what happens is a regular boot (I have the nv_disable and nvda_drv flags set to 0 and 1 respectively), followed by the login screen. However, there are massive lag spikes, followed by white flashes on the screen, and the system runs very slowly.

I have tried reinstalling the web drivers for them, and I have no idea how to proceed from here. The performance was so terrible that I am posting this from the Windows side.

Conclusion: A simple answer for the first question would be appreciated, and any troubleshooting assistance for the second question would be amazing!

Thanks all!

Last edited:
With the last drivers everything should work fine. The problems you describe (lag, white flashes) look like what happens when nv_disable=1 is set. My suggestion would be to try with only one card installed in the computer, and with only nvda_drv=1 and kext-dev-mode=1, which is mandatory in order to use the nvidia driver.

Please post back the contents of these 3 files:
/Extra/DSDT.aml
/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist
/Extra/smbios.plist

I have no DSDT.aml, or even a DSDT folder for that matter.

Boot.plist:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 nv_disable=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>01000000</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>”2560x1440x32"</string>
</dict>
</plist>

smbios.plist:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac Pro</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>G88064S25J4</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Also, in response toPieroman69, I don't have enough time right now to remove one of the cards, however if possible I would really like to keep them both in, since I am using them for Windows 8 in addition of OSX. I did try what you had specified (with both card plugged in, though) to no avail. That said, I would really like to keep them both in!

Thanks for the help so far

Thanks for posting back.

My next step would also be to remove one of the cards and test it.

I think you're in pretty uncharted territory here. I have tried a lot of different graphics configs with 2 cards together with varying results but I have not seen anyone try with 2 gtx 970 cards

Thanks for trying. I'll also enjoy learning about the possibility of getting your system running perfectly with those 2 cards.

A little more:

I would try booting with a single Card and:

remove npci=0x2000 nv_disable=0
both should be unnecessary for your build. nv_disable=1 is meant to disable the discrete cards and your system not having graphics output without discrete cards should gain no function with this boot flag.

If we can boot successfully with a single card and get good graphics performance it can help to rule out any other issues.
Then we can try booting with both cards in and then again with both cards in and the SLI cable attached.
As I mentioned you are in uncharted territory so some trial and error will be necessary to isolate where issues are coming from.

I hope that is helpful and look forward to hearing back about how things work.

GTX 970 toubles

Ok here's what I did:

-Removed the second card
-Tried booting with only -v -F kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1

Results:

-I booted with those flags, and it was stuck on this:
SMC: successfully initialized
RTC:
-Then the screen flashed white and that was it. Computer stayed running, but the screen was off.

Troubleshooting:
-I think my build needs npci-0x200 for some reason, so I added it back in.

New results:
-It passes the place it was stuck last time.
-Spam text saying there is a bug in something, it went by so fast I couldn't catch it.
-Then it booted into OSX like normal. No flashy screen, very ast performance, just like normal again.

Conclusion:
-The single card was able to boot into OSX like normal, but not without npci=0x2000

With this done, it must be something involving the double cards.

Thanks for helping so far! Any additional thoughts of what to do next? I'm sort of lost at this point!

1. Leave one card to begin with
2 .Install 343.01.02f03 web drivers for 10.10.1 and play with SMBIOS "SMproductname" - one MacPro, Macmini6 or iMac14 should work
3. Try disabling Intel GFX in BIOS or set
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>

Sorry for not posting for a while. I've haven't felt well for the past couple days, and I haven't been working on my computer because of it. I want to keep this thread alive, which is why I am posting this. I'll go to work now and post an update in a little bit.

Thanks to all who have helped so far! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back