Nvidia GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[SOLVED] [GTX 970] Sleeping monitor without nv_disable=1

Hello, first of all thanks for this amazing website with loads of guides and information.

I've got a problem with my newly installed hackintosh. What happens is that the monitors go to sleep after OS X has loaded about 50% during boot.

I followed the 10.10 installation guide on this site.
After preparing the flash drive I disabled the internal graphics card in BIOS, and followed every other recommendation such as AHCI for the SATA mode.

To reach the OS X installer I used the nv_disable=1 boot flag.
After the installation was completed I again used nv_disable=1 to reach the installed OS.
Reaching OS X I started up MultiBeast and configured EasyBeast, my audio and network.
For the system definition I chose iMac 13,2 as it closely matches my CPU.

After installing the boot loader, I downloaded the web driver from Nvidia (346.01.03f01) and installed it.
I added the nvda_drv=1 boot flag to my chameleon boot options, and rebooted.

When rebooted everything worked flawlessly, including all my 3 monitors, sound, Ethernet.
Everything worked as far as I can notice, hardware wise.

Now comes the tricky part, after exactly 2 reboots the monitors will fall asleep half way trough the boot process. And it happens every time as I've tried this several times over the last days.
The only way I can access the system now is by using nv_disable=1.

I've tried various boot flags such as GraphicsEnabler=Yes, IGPEnabler=No, -f, -x, -v, npci=0x2000 with no success. And no obvious error messages from the screen with -v.
I've even tried reloading the kernel(?) cache using kextcache.
Also tried using a another system definition such as iMac 14,2 with no avail.

I have attaches my chameleon boot file.

Thanks to anyone wanting to help me with this issue.
And please tell me if I've missed anything about my system or installation procedure.

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    632 bytes · Views: 246
Last edited:
I managed to fix it.

I started fiddling with boot options again, and apparently PCIRootUID did it for me.

What I did was to set PCIRootUID=0 manually at boot just to test it, and got a successful boot. So to make it permanent I added it to the chameleon config file. Decided to test it again and the reboot failed.

So sort of baffled I set PCIRootUID=1 at boot and got it booting again. I added it to the chameleon config file, thinking this would solve it. But it didn't, next reboot failed...

Apparently, to get a successful boot I have to set PCIRootUID to 0 and 1. So I set the chameleon config to include both PCIRootUID=0 and PCIRootUID=1. And it works every time, I've rebooted about 10 times now and it works every time. It doesn't even matter which option comes first in the boot flags.

I'm sort of confused, but happy that I finally got it working after 2 days.
Has anyone seen anything like this before? It just seems like a weird thing that should't happen. Should I report it somewhere? E.g. to the chameleon devs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back